Renting.....

GeezLouise

tired and content....
Has anyone rented out their house before or own rentals? Good/Bad experiences you would like to share? We were thinking about renting ours out, but i'm not too sure on what the hell I am doing regarding this stuff.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Military families work out good from what Ive seen (the older families, like Cheifs in stuff) you get ALL of their info, ie - Command, Commanding Officer, whole 9 yards, so IF by chance they screw stuff up, you know where to go to make sure your getting it fixed/your money or what not...

Plus, most of those families aren't going to throw the big parties, or try destroying stuff, they are in for the long haul, and want everything to be nice and neat...ya know... less problems out of that...

Just from what Ive seen from previous living arrangements around me....

HillBillyChick

I would screen very very carefully. We have rented an apartment and a house. Best tenants are older military. Worse (sorry to say) are college kids and young couples.....

Jameo

What?!
DON'T DO IT! :lmao:

My grandmother has a few rental houses. Some of the tenants she has had are UFB!! Just last night she asked me to take some pictures of a back door in one of her houses that someone had kicked in. I can only imagine what the inside of the house looks like :faint: Seems not to make a difference if you do a full background investigation on people, you never know what kinda lunatic you gonna have renting from you :twitch: And to get someone evicted is a PIA!

jbooty

It is a major pain.. but good money as long as you have tenants that take care of the place and pay on time.. My parents have 6 rentals and have been renting them for 15 years or so.. Here lately, they've had a problem finding good people to rent this one apartment.. and it really is a pain to get them evicted.. But, just remember, 3 visits to the court house filing papers and the sheriff will come knocking on their door telling them to get out for ya whether they pay or not!!

ServiceGuy

Yes, it sure can be a lot of work. Tenants that don’t pay they utility bills and have them turned off, late rent, damage to the house and yard, and they don’t feel like they own you anything. They move in use abuse and move on. If you do rent use a realtor and at least you can try to get someone decent in the beginning.

Unbelievable

Spay and Neuter Your Pets
ServiceGuy said:
Yes, it sure can be a lot of work. Tenants that don’t pay they utility bills and have them turned off, late rent, damage to the house and yard, and they don’t feel like they own you anything. They move in use abuse and move on. If you do rent use a realtor and at least you can try to get someone decent in the beginning.

:yeahthat: And never be lenient on their paying rent late or it'll become a habit. :wench:

B

Bronwyn

GeezLouise said:
Has anyone rented out their house before or own rentals? Good/Bad experiences you would like to share? We were thinking about renting ours out, but i'm not too sure on what the hell I am doing regarding this stuff.

Some tenets are nightmares. Destroy the place and let the yard go to seed. Then there is the process of getting them evicted after they haven't paid rent for a few months. Some people leave when you tell them to and some people need a sheriff handing them a court notice.

somd whisper

GeezLouise said:

I rent my home back in florida. I have a good lease, I try to be fair and see it from the renters side, so I allow them to decorate or do what they want to make the home feel as if it were theirs as long as they put it back to white (walls and floors and so on) if the next family did not approve of the coloring.

I keep the rent at a reasonable price and give them a good grace period of five days after the first because I know things can happen. Since I respect them so far they respect me. So no problems as of yet.

I did rent to a young couple at first and it was only temp but they were good renters. So age sometimes does not play a factor.

Good luck with your rental.

Jameo

What?!
Bronwyn said:
Some tenets are nightmares. Destroy the place and let the yard go to seed. Then there is the process of getting them evicted after they haven't paid rent for a few months. Some people leave when you tell them to and some people need a sheriff handing them a court notice.

And sometimes it takes setting all their belongings out on the side of the road :lmao:

Last edited:

nightowl

I've rented to different people for 9 yrs now. Since my house is next to my rental I can keep an eye on things. I have had problems with late rent on occasion but overall most people pay on time knowing I'm right next door to bother them if they don't. Plus I charge a $25 late fee for rent paid after the 5th. People usually don't stay long, a year or two, since it's just a one bedroom. We always have to go in and shampoo rugs and paint after each tenant which costs a few hundred but overall it's worth it. We have all utilities included that way no problems with stuff getting shut off. I think the tenants prefer it that way too because then they know what to expect every month.

Good luck if you decided to do it.