Turning a house into a home

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
I'm getting ready to shell out some cash for new living room furniture and while I'm at it I'm thinking of painting dnd doing a little more around the house. I bought the place a year and a half ago and I think it's about time to turn this place into my HOME as opposed to the place I keep my stuff. Know what I mean? :smile:

Anyhow, I'm looking for sources for "home" ideas. Home decorating isn't my forte' so any/all ideas on decor, colors, styles will help.

I'm going to look at furniture with some friends again this weekend and with a little luck that will park some ideas.

Ponytail

I have a whole years worth of a Canadien home decorators mag that has ALOT of REALLY good ideas in it. you are welcome to it. measurements are being taken tomorrow AM to finalize my order for a new kitchen. :banana:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
:howdy: If you're just looking for ideas, I'd say browse HGTV.com, look at some decorating magazines, etc to get an idea for what you like. Even simpler, you can just make note of what you like in any room. If you watch TV, take note of colors, styles, or accessories that you like, and make a note of it. Take a walk around Pier 1, Lowes, heck, even the home aisles at Target (one of my favorite places to buy stuff for my house). Once you have an idea of what you want, it should be fairly simple. It's a lot easier to pick out a specific style/theme and go from there, rather than just walking into a store and trying to put a room together.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Nickel said:
:howdy: If you're just looking for ideas, I'd say browse HGTV.com, look at some decorating magazines, etc to get an idea for what you like. Even simpler, you can just make note of what you like in any room. If you watch TV, take note of colors, styles, or accessories that you like, and make a note of it. Take a walk around Pier 1, Lowes, heck, even the home aisles at Target (one of my favorite places to buy stuff for my house). Once you have an idea of what you want, it should be fairly simple. It's a lot easier to pick out a specific style/theme and go from there, rather than just walking into a store and trying to put a room together.

I have a hard time stringing individual pieces together to form a "room" in my head. BUT, I've been looking at everything I run across with an eye for whether it fits my idea of nice.

Hey PT, thanks I think I'll take you up on that.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Lugnut said:
I have a hard time stringing individual pieces together to form a "room" in my head. BUT, I've been looking at everything I run across with an eye for whether it fits my idea of nice.

Hey PT, thanks I think I'll take you up on that.
In that case, look at rooms as a whole. Identify rooms that you like, and when you have a bunch of them, look for similarities and differences. Chances are, the similarities are things that you like, and the differences you could do without.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Nickel said:
In that case, look at rooms as a whole. Identify rooms that you like, and when you have a bunch of them, look for similarities and differences. Chances are, the similarities are things that you like, and the differences you could do without.

Good idea, the oinly place I've seen with omplete rooms is Ikea though. They have some nice stuff but most (not all) of it is geared toward collge kids or something, not adults.

Are tehre any furniture places that have complete rooms on display?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Lugnut said:
Good idea, the oinly place I've seen with omplete rooms is Ikea though. They have some nice stuff but most (not all) of it is geared toward collge kids or something, not adults.

Are tehre any furniture places that have complete rooms on display?
The only one I can think of is The Room Store, they display their furniture as sets. Do a google search on home decorating ideas, and you should find some websites with designer's showcases of different rooms and styles. My favorite though, is HGTV. If you see a room you like, it tells you what style it falls under (cottage, contemporary, traditional, etc.). You may find that a lot of the rooms you like fall under traditional, or whatever. If you can decide on colors and the like, you have a jumping off point. You may be able to go into a store (like Pier 1) and say "I'm decorating my living room in a traditional style. My walls are such and such color, and my furniture is such and such color. Can you help me?".

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Nickel said:
The only one I can think of is The Room Store, they display their furniture as sets. Do a google search on home decorating ideas, and you should find some websites with designer's showcases of different rooms and styles. My favorite though, is HGTV. If you see a room you like, it tells you what style it falls under (cottage, contemporary, traditional, etc.). You may find that a lot of the rooms you like fall under traditional, or whatever. If you can decide on colors and the like, you have a jumping off point. You may be able to go into a store (like Pier 1) and say "I'm decorating my living room in a traditional style. My walls are such and such color, and my furniture is such and such color. Can you help me?".

Cool, thanks! :yay: