Pretty/Cool Bathroom Paint Schemes

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Just had the ceiling in the upstairs bathroom replaced, and decided to overhaul the decor (paint scheme) of the bathroom. I have a few paint chips that I picked up from Lowes, but want to look online for pics as well since I suck at this stuff. Anyone come across any cool color combo's that blew thair skirt up? :shrug:

The bathroom has a window, a wood cabinet that I'll be repainting, a big, wide mirror ... trying to think of things that might be an issue in deciding colors. I just know that I do NOT want plain-jane boring white. :nono:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
On a whim my stepmother redid her bathroom in a sort of Old Paris/French flea market type of theme, and it looks awesome. She plastered and painted the walls (a very pretty antique-sh peach) and added lots of accessories (she also has a great claw foot tub, their house is older). Before that she had a nautical thing going on (since my dad was a sailor I guess :lol:). She's the best decorator I've ever met.

crabcake

Nickel said:
On a whim my stepmother redid her bathroom in a sort of Old Paris/French flea market type of theme, and it looks awesome. She plastered and painted the walls (a very pretty antique-sh peach) and added lots of accessories (she also has a great claw foot tub, their house is older). Before that she had a nautical thing going on (since my dad was a sailor I guess :lol:). She's the best decorator I've ever met.

I thought about that 'old world' theme thing. I could distress my current cabinet or replace it altogether. I like this one at Lowes if I have to replace it. I also like the idea of the faux finish paints that have the look of plaster. :yay:

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
crabcake said:
I thought about that 'old world' theme thing. I could distress my current cabinet or replace it altogether. I like this one at Lowes if I have to replace it. I also like the idea of the faux finish paints that have the look of plaster. :yay:
Oooh I like that one. Post a link to the page it's on, please? :smile:

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
crabcake said:
Here ya go. It's more "antique"-looking in person than the picture shows. It's got that peachy-pink on white thing going on.
Thanks. I see what you're talking about. Not sure that will fly with C_Jo. :ohwell: But I like it a lot.

crabcake

Pete said:
Cranberry marsh and fresh mango :yay:

Paint chips/pics? :shrug:

I'm not sure I want to go too dark, given it's a bathroom and already a small room (average size for a bathroom, but in general, it's a small room). The advantage I have is that there is a window in there for natural light.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
crabcake said:
She said it was very easy, and she has way high ceilings, and did it all by herself. She has a penchant for that sort of thing though.

crabcake

K_Jo said:
Thanks. I see what you're talking about. Not sure that will fly with C_Jo. :ohwell: But I like it a lot.

Do men really give a damn about that stuff though? Don't they just go in, grab a skin mag, and drop the kids off? :shrug: He'd probably not even notice if you keep a nice basket by the toilet with the latest issue of Jugs. :smile:

crabcake

I'll also settle for any good design idea websites that might offer up some good pictures. :yay:

Pete

Repete
crabcake said:
Paint chips/pics? :shrug:

I'm not sure I want to go too dark, given it's a bathroom and already a small room (average size for a bathroom, but in general, it's a small room). The advantage I have is that there is a window in there for natural light.
I got them at Lowes. It is the trim / walls in my kitchen. Deep yet cheerful :roflmao:

Ponytail

FastCarsSpeed said:
This is our powder room sink. With the Cherry flooring we are doing downstairs and the style it will be really nice. We are using this to design the rest of the powder room. 1 bath down 2 more to go LOL...

http://images.lowes.com/product/611768/611768063437.jpg

You do know that cherry wood darkens as it ages right? And if you have anything sitting on it long term, what ever area is covered, won't darken. Just an FYI. You'dbe surprised how many people get surprised after putting down cherry floors, and re-arrange the furniture after awhile. Granted, you'r doing it in a bothroom, and there usually isn't any room to re-arrange, you still need to be careful with hampers, trashcans, plungers...it'll look like shadow boxes after awhile.

Ponytail

If you go to Lowes to look at Medicine Cabinets, make sure you peruse their catalogs. There's some REALLY cool and interesting medicine cabinets and other stuff that isn't on display. And even if you see something in a catalog, that you like, but don't necessarily like the colors that are offered with the whatever woods are offered, make the salesperson call the company WHILE YOU ARE THERE.

I had a medicine cabinet made to my specs, using a style from one of the catalogs, and they were able to make it at no extra cost. The salesperson initially told me that they wouldn't do it. He was a little miffed that I made him take the extra step, but he thanked me later. It was like a whole new world had opened up to him. :yay:

Oh, like was mentioned above, I started with one particular item that I wanted in my bathroom, and went from there for colors. In my case, I started with a general idea in my head of a style, and picked out my shower tile, then the floor tile, bath cabinet and medicine cabinet to match (custom made at lowes to match base cabinet cuz I didn't like the one that Lowes had to match it in the display), fixtures, then wall paint.

Paint is one of those things that is laboreous to some, but it is cheap in comparison to everything else. If what you put on the walls first doesn't look good, paint over it. I painted my bathroom twice, DRASTICALLY changing the color. The 2nd time was the charm. I couldn't be happier with it, unless it was bigger, but not much I can do about that. :yay:

crabcake

Okay, I kind of have an idea in mind of something. Please give me your thoughts. The far wall with the window, I'm thinking of doing a faux brick finish (which would make sense since it's an exterior wall). There's this plaster/stone product that you paint on the wall for texture, then you carve out what you want to do. Random swirls, mortar lines, etc. I can't find a picture of it online, but it's in a paint technique brochure I found. Anyway, I'd paint it on, then 'carve' out the grount lines, and once dry, paint over it. The other walls, either a colorwashing or faux antique plaster texture effect.

Or does that seem like it might be too much 'texture' for a bathroom? Also, as a side note, I'm undecided on whether to replace the entire cabinet in there, or just reface and paint it. So that's up in the air.

Thoughts? :shrug:

Attachments

• bathroom.gif
    bathroom.gif
    56.2 KB · Views: 110
  • bathroom2.gif
    bathroom2.gif
    63.6 KB · Views: 98
  • bathroom3.gif
    bathroom3.gif
    64.8 KB · Views: 103

Pandora

crabcake said:
Okay, I kind of have an idea in mind of something. Please give me your thoughts. The far wall with the window, I'm thinking of doing a faux brick finish (which would make sense since it's an exterior wall). There's this plaster/stone product that you paint on the wall for texture, then you carve out what you want to do. Random swirls, mortar lines, etc. I can't find a picture of it online, but it's in a paint technique brochure I found. Anyway, I'd paint it on, then 'carve' out the grount lines, and once dry, paint over it. The other walls, either a colorwashing or faux antique plaster texture effect.

Or does that seem like it might be too much 'texture' for a bathroom? Also, as a side note, I'm undecided on whether to replace the entire cabinet in there, or just reface and paint it. So that's up in the air.

Thoughts? :shrug:

You have the same bathroom we do in the master bedroom. When you are standing in front of the mirror, is there a closet behind your back?

I think both choices are nice, but it sounds too much like work for me. :lol: