Cleaning Microfiber

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
What do you use? I got a new living room set a couple months ago but just recently put it in the living room. It's very pale blue microfiber. I originally purchased it for my Florida Room but it just wasn't getting enough use back there and I thought it a waste not to use it so I moved it. 2 cats, a dog and 2 little boys with pale blue furniture..... I've not had a major spill on it yet. The one issue I have had is I've always been one to let the dog on the couch. She sleeps on the couch every night. I noticed that she left "snot marks" if you will, where her nose was. No biggie, I broke out the carpet cleaner, sprayed them and then wiped them with a damp rag. When they dried I was left with even bigger spots. Should I just have used a damp rag and no cleaner? That's kind of gross though. I want it clean. Should I have cleaned the entire cushion? That's going to end up being a PITA.

Christy

b*tch rocket
pixiegirl said:
What do you use? I got a new living room set a couple months ago but just recently put it in the living room. It's very pale blue microfiber. I originally purchased it for my Florida Room but it just wasn't getting enough use back there and I thought it a waste not to use it so I moved it. 2 cats, a dog and 2 little boys with pale blue furniture..... I've not had a major spill on it yet. The one issue I have had is I've always been one to let the dog on the couch. She sleeps on the couch every night. I noticed that she left "snot marks" if you will, where her nose was. No biggie, I broke out the carpet cleaner, sprayed them and then wiped them with a damp rag. When they dried I was left with even bigger spots. Should I just have used a damp rag and no cleaner? That's kind of gross though. I want it clean. Should I have cleaned the entire cushion? That's going to end up being a PITA.

You should have just used a damp rag. :yay: Or used the cleaner, then a damp rag to thoroughly get the cleaner out of the material. :shrug:

I like our micro-fiber, but with dogs it is difficult. I completely steam cleaned it, and within 15 minutes of cleaning, it had snot marks from the dogs again. :banghead: :lol:

Pete

Repete
If you trash the couch could you cut off the microfiber and cut it into 10 x 10 squares? It works good polishing Harley's. TIA

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Christy said:
You should have just used a damp rag. :yay: Or used the cleaner, then a damp rag to thoroughly get the cleaner out of the material. :shrug:

I like our micro-fiber, but with dogs it is difficult. I completely steam cleaned it, and within 15 minutes of cleaning, it had snot marks from the dogs again. :banghead: :lol:

I did use a damp rag after the cleaner. :razz: I think maybe the cleaner I have is wrong. I used Spot Shot because it's what I have left over from the house in Mechanicsville. No carpet here so no need for carpet cleaner until now. Maybe I'll get some regular non-aerosol carpet cleaner and try that. I have a Little Green Machine. I'll try cleaning the whole thing.

I just had a stroke of brilliance.... On the foot of my bed I have a bathroom rug laid down for the cats. I noticed that they favored laying at the foot in the same spot all the time and thus I was always hitting the same spot with a lint brush. I bought a couple extra bathroom rugs and laid one at the foot of the bed. Now I just pick the one up off the bed every few days to throw it in the wash and lay down the spare. Maybe I'll get a couple more and throw one on the couch before I go to bed for the night. :yay:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
pixiegirl said:
What do you use?
I got the stain repellant treatment put on at store where I bought my couch, so far, everything wipes off with a damp cloth, even red popsicle.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
My microfiber couches were treated with Scotchguard and came with their own cleaning kit from VCF. I don't know what's in it, but it works great. I'll see if I can't find out what it is.

It took out ballpoint ink and blood (don't ask :lol: ) without a problem. :yay:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Christy said:
You should have just used a damp rag. :yay: Or used the cleaner, then a damp rag to thoroughly get the cleaner out of the material.
:yeahthat:
Use very little cleaner if you do. After it dries, take a fabric brush or something to smooth out the nap.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Sharon said:
:yeahthat:
Use very little cleaner if you do. After it dries, take a fabric brush or something to smooth out the nap.

I just can't feel good about cleaning it without using cleaner. Maybe I'll buy some and diloute it. When I first saw the spot I thought she may be incontinent (sp?) and have peed in her sleep on my brand new furniture. I sprayed it and started scrubbing with the damp cloth and it was slimey. :barf: Snot for sure! :lmao: She sure leaves one hell of a snot puddle where she sleeps.

ylexot

Super Genius
Pete said:
If you trash the couch could you cut off the microfiber and cut it into 10 x 10 squares? It works good polishing Harley's. TIA
FYI, BJ's has packages of microfiber towels (50-pack I think) for $10 :yay:

Pete

Repete
ylexot said:
FYI, BJ's has packages of microfiber towels (50-pack I think) for $10 :yay:
I got a pack, they rock but they don't take a wasing well and stuff gets stuck in them easy.

I end up tossing them out. I need another pack but my BJ's card ran out. :bawl:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Pix, did you have the furniture protected when you bought it? I think it is Scotchguard, or something similar. Cost is about $200 for couch/loveseat, but well worth it. Stains/spills come clean without effort.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Chasey_Lane said:
Pix, did you have the furniture protected when you bought it? I think it is Scotchguard, or something similar. Cost is about $200 for couch/loveseat, but well worth it. Stains/spills come clean without effort.

Or you can buy a $10 can of Scotchguard and do it yourself. :yay: