Someone answer this for me

demsformd

Why is it that the military insists on reassigning soldiers so often? Why can't soldiers be positioned at a base and left there?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Training and experience are vital to replace soldiers that are leaving - usually you will see several "newbies" checking in to a duty assignment, along with a couple of "old hands". Otherwise you might wind up having to replace almost an entire unit with privates. There are more in depth reasons, but that pretty much sums it up.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by demsformd
Why is it that the military insists on reassigning soldiers so often? Why can't soldiers be positioned at a base and left there?

It's a vast right wing conspiracy in order to keep all the moving companies in bidnezz! :wink:

I actually think the re-assigning part of the military was fantastic. On a selfish note, there was no way EVER that I could have afforded to visit all the really nice places that I did if it weren't for the military. Even the crappy places are a benefit. They sure do make you appreciate being an American. (unlike a three week visit via the colleges to learn third world culture. :rolleyes: )

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by demsformd

Well first, they do sometimes. It's called homesteading. The Navy used to frown onit, then when they realized how much they could save not moving people around the globe every 3.5 years they endorsed the idea. Even though they don't mind it anymore it is rare that it happens because; 1. We are a promotion driven institution. If we got stationed in one place for 20 years we would rarely get promoted. How would you like to get E-4 pay for 14 years? This would happen because the only vacancies would be caused by death, retirement, or separation. There would not be enough vacancies created to keep promotions going smoothly.

2. Our skill level might not be needed at the base we are assigned. Of course we are assigned there because the initially need us, but as we progress and promote they might need our skill level at another place.

3. Our jobs can be very boring and mundane. It is good to shake things up with a new assignment.

4. We have a rotation in the Navy. Sea duty and shore duty. You go to sea duty and deploy for 6-8 months, come home for a year or so and deploy again for 6-8 months. This rotation goes on until your tour on sea duty ends. It would truly suck to be on sea duty for 20 years straight without a shore tour where you don't deploy. I know, what about shore duty at that base you ask. Well it might be a matter of no jobs for your skill. What is a Bosun going to do in Brunswick for sea duty when his tour at base security is over?