Morning Glory

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I apparently have one of these growing in my garden. I thought it was some kind of ivy as I have TONS of it around. I left it alone when I first saw it because the leaves were different than the rest of the ivy I have and I thought it was rather attractive. I thought I'd let it grow a little more and then transplant it around back. I was in the garden Sunday morning pulling up some of the dead annuals and decided to check it out to see if it was big enough to take out and transplant. It had flowers on it. Very pretty blueish purple flowers. So my ma was over later that afternoon and I asked her to look at it. It's a morning glory. She didn't know much about it other than she "thinks" they're wild. Anyone know?

I also had a variety of portuloca (sp?) sprout up though I didn't have ANY in my garden. I left it when I first saw it because I like succulent plants a lot and saw it had the same characteristics. I wanted to see what it was going to be.

I assume these are a result of the wildflower mix my mom threw out there when I was agrivated with trying to establish the garden. B ended up retilling it for me and got me a load of soil early in the spring and I went on to plant regular plants, no seeds. I'm guessing these are a result of the wildflower as I've had other things come up (a lot of really big daisies and other stuff I pull as soon as it pops up if it doesn't look interesting).

So if anyone can give me the skinny on morning glory and portuloca care I'd be much appreciated. And if morning glories ARE in fact wild where do I find more or can I snip it and root it myself?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Don't worry about the morning glory, it will reproduce and take over your garden without any help from you.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
itsbob said:
Don't worry about the morning glory, it will reproduce and take over your garden without any help from you.

That would be fine in the back yard where I'm going to pull up the azealas where I want to transplant it. I have 4 azealas that don't flower well because they don't get enough light and honkin' big ivy that grows up the two trees back there. I'd like to have something that's attractive but doesn't require a lot of work. The ivy that's there is HUGE and ugly. The stems/roots whathaveyou are sometimes 2 inches in diameter all the way up the trees and they're just plain.

I really don't know what these people were thinking. The plant on the azealas are fine but they don't bloom. There's a rose bush back there that barely grows and doesn't bloom at all. B will possibly be taking out one of the trees and we're going to have a patio poured. I'd just like it to look a little better without having to put a ton of work into it. The garden out front is enough and next year I'm going to do the ones up front next to the house. I like the morning glory, it's cute and if I can put some out back and it'll do well I'm all for it.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Be careful with the Morning Glories, as the vines will choke out any "real" plants and flowers that you may have. Just yesterday I pulled away my MG vines because it was wrapped around my lilac bush and getting ready to cover my peonies. The MG's grew under the deck, wrapping itself around the wood planks and worming it's way up between the boards. Like Sharon said, that stuff won't just go away without a hefty swig of RoundUp.

Nanny Pam

I planted morning glory seeds along the fence. I thought the seed packet said annual. :confused:

I would love it if they came back every year along that fence, then I wouldn't have to look at the neighbors dead trees. ugh.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
itsbob said:
Try Epsom salt.. about 1/4 cup every other month or so..

It's a tiny plant that was cut back at some point and didn't hardley come back at all this year. It's right up next to the house and get's barely any light. Next year I'm going to pull it up and move it out front. I'll try the salt and some composte as well.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
If anyone has any tips on getting rid of weeds I'm all for those as well. When we started the garned I put down a healthy does of weed killer and it was tilled in. A new load of soil was dumped and it was tilled again. I have MORE weeds in that garden than I know what to do with! Granted off the get the entire bed was weeds. Next year I plan to empty it; move anything that survives up to the bed closest to the house and plant nothing but stonecrop and succulents in that bed. The deers LOVED the hostas and I couldn't keep them out of it. I also need an idea for the 1/4 of it that's shaded. The stonecrop and succulents need a lot of light. I was also considering "sweet potatoe vine" I think is what B's mom called it instead of the stonecrop. Just taking the bed out and planting a ground cover. But regardless I'd like to get the weeds out before I start.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
DoWhat said:
Gasoline and a match?

No crap! Don't I wish I could pull that off w/out getting in trouble. The furry stuff is in the mint family which means I'll likely never get rid of it.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
If you're not using seed to plant your garden try some Preen sprinkled into the top layer of soil around your plantings. It's a seed deterrent and will help keep the weed seeds from reseeding themselves during the growing season. For stubborn weeds try Weed-B-Gone, but don't let the overspray get onto anything you don't want to kill. There are different types so read the labels and pick one that does what you want.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
pixiegirl said:
No crap! Don't I wish I could pull that off w/out getting in trouble.
B's a firefighter, have him standing by.
He can tell everybody it's training.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Sharon said:
If you're not using seed to plant your garden try some Preen sprinkled into the top layer of soil around your plantings. It's a seed deterrent and will help keep the weed seeds from reseeding themselves during the growing season. For stubborn weeds try Weed-B-Gone, but don't let the overspray get onto anything you don't want to kill. There are different types so read the labels and pick one that does what you want.

I've done both of those. :bawl: I think I screwed up by putting granular plant food down before the second time B tilled. What didn't get killed got fed instead!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
pixiegirl said:
I think I screwed up by putting granular plant food down before the second time B tilled. What didn't get killed got fed instead!
:lmao:

There's always next year. :huggy: