Electric Range installation

Ponytail

My old kitchen had a separate oven and countertop range, each using a separate 240V line.

The new slide in range/oven combo will only use one. What should I do with the extra one? I'm cutting some pretty big holes in my floors to gain access to this stuff, as well as just removing rotten stuff. This is making the wiring part of this pretty easy. :yay:

Pete

Repete
Ponytail said:
My old kitchen had a separate oven and countertop range, each using a separate 240V line.

The new slide in range/oven combo will only use one. What should I do with the extra one? I'm cutting some pretty big holes in my floors to gain access to this stuff, as well as just removing rotten stuff. This is making the wiring part of this pretty easy. :yay:
Just terminate it :shrug: Unhook it from the breaker and now you have space in your box for a hot tub. :yay:

tirdun

staring into the abyss
Well, if you've just GOT to use that 240, you're pretty limited. Unless you want heavy duty tools in your kitchen, its either A/C, oven or a dryer :D

Otherwise follow Pete's advice and use the 240 for something elsewhere or just ignore it.

Pete

Repete
You could solder large copper lugs on it and used it to burn open cans of Chef Boy R Dee. Heat it and open the can all at the same time. :yay: I would opt for the foot switch as a means to activate it.

Ponytail

I think I'll draw it back thru and drop it into the shop. Perfect place for a welder. :cool:

Wait, almost forgot...What is the voltage requirements for dishwashers?

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Ponytail said:
I think I'll draw it back thru and drop it into the shop. Perfect place for a welder. :cool:

Pete

Repete
Ponytail said:

120 unless you have the Binford 4750 high pressure dish cleaning system.

Ponytail

Pete said:
120 unless you have the Binford 4750 high pressure dish cleaning system.
:lol: No, no Binford stuff. But since I'm doing the wiring, it may turn out that way. :lol:

I used to put 9 volt batteries in my Radio Shack remote control cars that took 2 AA batteries. Amazing, the thing fit perfectly! And ran like a bat out of he!!. Wouldn't I be doing the same thing hookin that dishwasher up to a 240 line? :lol:

:sarcasm:

Pete

Repete
Ponytail said:
:lol: No, no Binford stuff. But since I'm doing the wiring, it may turn out that way. :lol:

I used to put 9 volt batteries in my Radio Shack remote control cars that took 2 AA batteries. Amazing, the thing fit perfectly! And ran like a bat out of he!!. Wouldn't I be doing the same thing hookin that dishwasher up to a 240 line? :lol:

:sarcasm:
Just remember, once you let the smoke out of an electric motor you can't get it back in.

Ponytail

Pete said:
Just remember, once you let the smoke out of an electric motor you can't get it back in.

:lol:

Just found that out with the 'ol Makita 9volt. That sumbeotch got HOT! BUT, as with all things that break, it means one thing... time for an UPGRADE!!

Lowes has a sweet cordless Hitachi 14volt impact driver for $129. :cool:

Pete

Repete
Ponytail said:
:lol:

Just found that out with the 'ol Makita 9volt. That sumbeotch got HOT! BUT, as with all things that break, it means one thing... time for an UPGRADE!!

Lowes has a sweet cordless Hitachi 14volt impact driver for $129. :cool:
Be lucky you don't have to deal with 3 phasse, one of the legs is "hotter" than the others 110 * 110 * 140. If you screw up and hook the "hotter leg" to the wrong place you will blow anything connected to that circuit when you turn the breaker on, like 2 chargers for Makita power drills and the batteries in them, flourescent lights, and a cash register. :whistle:

Ponytail

Pete said:
Be lucky you don't have to deal with 3 phasse, one of the legs is "hotter" than the others 110 * 110 * 140. If you screw up and hook the "hotter leg" to the wrong place you will blow anything connected to that circuit when you turn the breaker on, like 2 chargers for Makita power drills and the batteries in them, flourescent lights, and a cash register. :whistle:

:lmao:

Ummm...just to be sure, and knowing that I'm no sparky tech by any stretch of the imagination...how would I know?? or has 3 phase not been used in houses in more than 50 years?

Pete

Repete
Ponytail said:
:lmao:

Ummm...just to be sure, and knowing that I'm no sparky tech by any stretch of the imagination...how would I know?? or has 3 phase not been used in houses in more than 50 years?
Comercial applications only

Ponytail

Pete said:
Comercial applications only

*whew* had me thinkin there for a minute. I just did one of those wicked fast ultra high speed memory rewinds that you see in the movies thinkin of all the wiring that I just uncovered, unplugged, cut... :lol:

Pete

Repete
Ponytail said:
*whew* had me thinkin there for a minute. I just did one of those wicked fast ultra high speed memory rewinds that you see in the movies thinkin of all the wiring that I just uncovered, unplugged, cut... :lol:
Oh believe me, if you had it and hooked up the 140 lead where it is not supposed to be you know it pretty much right away. :boo:

Mikeinsmd

Pete said:
Oh believe me, if you had it and hooked up the 140 lead where it is not supposed to be you know it pretty much right away. :boo:
It's actually 208 volts to ground. Called a "high leg". Obsolete now. Was used for old motors. :timtaylordishwasher: