PREMO Member
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Alan Korwin, Bloomfield Press -- Oct. 3, 2006
Full contact info at end

GUN-FREE-SCHOOL FRAUD COSTS LIVES AGAIN

Pennsylvania Is Latest State to Suffer

Another armed murderer has used the so-called Gun-Free-School-Zones law to simply walk onto school grounds and with impunity begin killing innocent children.

These dangerous criminals rely on the fact that no one on campus will be able to offer resistance. Congress passed the law in 1990, renewed it in 1995, and though it cannot stop murderers it has enabled many, experts say.

"The Gun-Free-School law is a cruel hoax that costs lives," said Alan Korwin, author of Gun Laws of America. "Time and time again, these killers are using the law to provide a safe haven, where they are the only people with guns." It's no surprise these madmen never attack gun stores, police stations, or other places where people are known to be armed, he says, and news reports consistently overlook this point.

Hoplophobic teacher's unions, school administrators and legislators project their fears onto the system and disarm honest people, instead of taking prudent steps to protect the kids. Hoplophobia is a poorly understood morbid fear of weapons that afflicts millions. It is one of the greatest undiagnosed and untreated sources of harm in the country, Korwin and other experts believe.

People who are terrified of guns give themselves a good feeling but false sense of security by passing such dangerous laws. "All they have done is create target-rich, no-risk environments for monsters who have no fear of encountering an armed teacher or administrator, or a legally-armed private citizen who might happen to be in the building," says Alan Gottlieb, chairman of the Second Amendment Foundation. The Pennsylvania attack comes less than a week after a similar attack in Colorado.

"Gun-control extremists will use this incident to claim we have not done enough," Gottlieb predicted, and in the past, the harm caused by gun-free laws has lead to calls for more of the same. This is irrational, which is a sign of hoplophobic behavior. "They have disarmed the wrong people and left our schools, and the children inside, vulnerable to this kind of atrocity."

"We need empowerment, not avoidance," Korwin says, who believes that properly trained and prepared teachers are at least one prudent step to take against a rash of homicidal maniacs preying on schools.

Hundreds of thousands of FBI-certified individuals, who routinely use personal firearms for crime deterrence and safety, but are kept out of the news, are also banned from school grounds under many states' laws. They can provide little help against the criminals who simply ignore the words in a distant law book.

Several states have introduced Gun-Free-Zone Liability laws, which allow people to make the arbitrary and unenforced gun-free zones, but would hold them liable for any harm the zones cause. It is believed this would make people think twice about making the dangerous and negligent zones. Sample bill language is here: http://www.gunlaws.com/GFZ/index.htm

Gottlieb categorizes gun-free zones as a myth, since they stop no one, leaving victims defenseless.

An unintended consequence of the federal gun-free-school-zones law, 18 USC 922(q), is to criminalize millions of citizens who travel near schools. Because the law stipulates a 1,000-foot gun-free perimeter around schools, virtually all private travel with firearms in American cities violates the law.

This creates tens of millions of federal felonies, of unsuspecting citizens, with no enforcement, but no actual harm done. The law is a travesty needing repeal. See maps and details here: http://www.gunlaws.com/Gun_Free_School_Zones.htm

###

[Backgrounder: Phoenix-based Bloomfield Press, founded in 1988, is the largest publisher and distributor of gun-law books in the country. Our website, gunlaws.com, features a free national directory to gun laws and relevant contacts in all states and federally, along with our unique line of related books and DVDs. Gun Laws of America for news-media review is available on request, call 1-800-707-4020. Our authors are available for interview, call to schedule. Call for cogent positions on gun issues, informed analysis on proposed laws, talk radio that lights up the switchboard, fact sheets and position papers. As we always say, "It doesn't make sense to own a gun and not know the rules."

Alan Korwin
Bloomfield Press
"We publish the gun laws."
4718 E. Cactus #440
Phoenix, AZ 85032
602-996-4020 Phone
602-494-0679 Fax
1-800-707-4020 Orders
http://www.gunlaws.com
alan@gunlaws.com
Call, write, fax or click for free full-color catalog

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you're reading this in English, thank a veteran.

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing
because he could do only a little."
--Edmund Burke

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think the idea of a gun-free (or drug-free, or any other -free) school zone is hysterical. :roflmao:

Because of course the local homicidal maniac or drug dealer is going to stop and go, "Dang! Better not do anything here or I'll be breaking the law!"

:lmao:

What is the purpose of those things, anyway?

The best one is the communities that declare themselves a Nuclear-Free Zone. "Hey! You cannot attack us! We're a Nuclear-Free Zone!"

:killingme

LordStanley

I know nothing
One of the hardest things moving to MD from Va was not being able to use my CCL or even obtain one in MD.

I still shake my head in disgust over how many laws are on the books, but it still dosent stop the criminals.... Go figure

Pandora

vraiblonde said:
I think the idea of a gun-free (or drug-free, or any other -free) school zone is hysterical. :roflmao:

Because of course the local homicidal maniac or drug dealer is going to stop and go, "Dang! Better not do anything here or I'll be breaking the law!"

:lmao:

What is the purpose of those things, anyway?

The best one is the communities that declare themselves a Nuclear-Free Zone. "Hey! You cannot attack us! We're a Nuclear-Free Zone!"

:killingme

:killingme You sound like my husband. When my oldest came home from the dance where 3 kids were caught smoking marijuana, he said, that cannot be, it is a drug free zone.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Pandora said:
When my oldest came home from the dance where 3 kids were caught smoking marijuana, he said, that cannot be, it is a drug free zone.
:roflmao:

You have to wonder what idiot comes up with this stuff.