870 Wingmaster

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
I just inherited an old 870 Wingmaster. 12 gauge, 30" barrel, full choke. It's obviously a bird gun and I will use it for dove, but can I shoot steel through it without hurting it?? I want to use it for ducks and geese. TIA

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
gumby said:
I just inherited an old 870 Wingmaster. 12 gauge, 30" barrel, full choke. It's obviously a bird gun and I will use it for dove, but can I shoot steel through it without hurting it?? I want to use it for ducks and geese. TIA
Yes you can but the pattern will suck. Does it have a removable choke?

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
gumby said:

You should get a modified choke for steel shot. It will pattern better, but steel will not hurt it.

limblips

PREMO Member
gumby said:
You need to call Remington with the serial number. There was a class action suit a few years ago resulting from issues with steel shot in older 870's and 1100's. Steel shot caused a few barrels to weaken and burst. You can get a new barrel for it with choke tubes at a decent price. They are great guns but PLEASE check with Remington before you use steel in it.

jrt_ms1995

Why steel?

Why bother with steel shot when you can get more effective, non-barrel-damaging (although more expensive) alternatives? Like limblips said you could also buy a new barrel, which would handle steel with no problem, but you could buy and shoot quite a few boxes of non-steel non-toxic waterfowl loads for the cost of a new barrel.

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
jrt_ms1995 said:
Why bother with steel shot when you can get more effective, non-barrel-damaging (although more expensive) alternatives? Like limblips said you could also buy a new barrel, which would handle steel with no problem, but you could buy and shoot quite a few boxes of non-steel non-toxic waterfowl loads for the cost of a new barrel.

Barrels aren't as expensive as bizmuth. :lmao: I'll prolly just get a variable choke barrel. I think I'm going to have the gun re-blued. It's just faded from age.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
gumby said:
Barrels aren't as expensive as bizmuth. :lmao: I'll prolly just get a variable choke barrel. I think I'm going to have the gun re-blued. It's just faded from age.

The 870 is my favorite gun. I have abused mine to the point it probably should leave me. I have actually used it as an oar at one time. I have four barrells for mine: a 26" improved, 32" full ( from when we used lead shot for waterfowl), a modified for waterfowl and steel shot and slugster for deer. I have some really nice guns but they usually stay in the safe. I also find that the small delay in the pump gives me time to set a second shot if needed, I have always shot too fast with an autoloader.
Enjoy yours.