Pnac

jimmy

Drunkard
By the way, I realize it's 90 pages but the main mission statement and goals are on the first 10 and that's the part I'm talking about...and their website shows who the members are/were...it's like their whole founding group got elected to office in 2000 and are initiating this policy...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What are you concerns...

...???

Kristol is a leading "neo-conservative" (IE, one those oppossed to the good old boy, Trent Lott wing of the GOP).

You'll find him typically somewhat socially liberal, at least compared to the "boogeyman" some envision when you say "conservative". He's definitely for using US power to promote democracy around the globe. (Pro Iraq war anti UN etc...)

I didn't read the whole thing, so, let's jump to your fears.

jimmy

Drunkard
Tonio,

Interesting and I wish I could have seen the program...

Larry,

I suppose my fears (trying not to sound like a 'consipiracy theorist' which I certainly am not) would be two fold:

One would be that the agenda of this think-tank has now basically become policy for this administration. In other words, September 11th offered an easy catalyst for the Bush administration to put in place a policy it had long been going after anyway...the danger there, to me, is inflexibility and the implied inability the public would have to sway such a pre-determined policy.

My other fear comes from the doctrine they are proposing itself (assuming, as is reported, that this document is serving now as the basis for the current administration's world view). It seems to have just intentions of promoting world peace--Pax Americana--through projected military and economic might.

However, I can't help but think that (a) this type of idealism borders on extremism when you begin subscribing to the POV that the US knows what is best for the world and all it's peoples; (b) This underestimates the strength and value of popular opinion/will of the people, something which Democracy is supposedly founded upon; and (c) this is a short-sighted policy that will do nothing to deter the type of enemy we face today in terrorists or any extreemist, oppressed group.

There IS some merit in what they say and, honestly, you have to at least admire that they are advocating SOME sort of action and change (where we are getting NOTHING from the liberals)--I'm just not sure that this is what we're looking for...and if our foreign policy is/was being decided by people with these types of, let's face it, imperialist beliefs, that would certainly be a reason to be scared in my book.