"Based on a true story?"

Gwydion

I was wondering if anybody knows what qualifies a book, movie, or TV show to be able to hold this title?

D

dems4me

Gwydion said:
I was wondering if anybody knows what qualifies a book, movie, or TV show to be able to hold this title?

It seems pretty self-explanatory to me :shrug:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Gwydion said:

Care the share with the rest of the class? :popcorn:

Gwydion

CMC122 said:
:yeahthat:

Start 3 more threads just to be sure though.

haha, yea...I got a little trigger happy. Damn work computer is so slow.

Nah, I was just wondering if there was anything regulating what allowed for such a title.

Take the Texas Chainsaw Massacre for example. Sure,there was a guy in texas...he had a chainsaw...and he killed people with it. Did he really wear a mask and lure kids in, hang them on hooks by their rib cage?

If there was a midget that went around and killed a person of a different race, got drunk and threw his wedding ring into a fire, would that allow Lord of the Rings to be "Based on a True Story"?

D

dems4me

Gwydion said:

Nah, I was just wondering if there was anything regulating what allowed for such a title.

Take the Texas Chainsaw Massacre for example. Sure,there was a guy in texas...he had a chainsaw...and he killed people with it. Did he really wear a mask and lure kids in, hang them on hooks by their rib cage?

If there was a midget that went around and killed a person of a different race, got drunk and threw his wedding ring into a fire, would that allow Lord of the Rings to be "Based on a True Story"?

I think there's all kinds of shades of grey in how much of the story has to be true and as long as there are attorneys on this great green earth... there will always be shades of grey in anything or any law :shrug:

The true part was he was a real chainsaw murderer in Texas. Just because they supplemented a mask and other oddities ... does not completely repudiate the concept and make the first part any less untrue. :shrug: There was still a real chainsaw murderer in Texas.

I think Gwydion, as long as its "based" on a true story conceptually you can go anywhere you want from there on and still have the "based on a true story" tagline to your movie. Essentially, I think that as long as the basic permise and foundation is true you can exaggerate it all you want. :shrug: That would be my guess. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Gwydion said:

PM Fishnguy about the midget question:yay:

Gwydion

dems4me said:
I think there's all kinds of shades of grey in how much of the story has to be true and as long as there are attorneys on this great green earth... there will always be shades of grey in anything or any law :shrug:

The true part was he was a real chainsaw murderer in Texas. Just because they supplemented a mask and other oddities ... does not completely repudiate the concept and make the first part any less untrue. :shrug: There was still a real chainsaw murderer in Texas.

I think Gwydion, as long as its "based" on a true story conceptually you can go anywhere you want from there on and still have the "based on a true story" tagline to your movie. Essentially, I think that as long as the basic permise and foundation is true you can exaggerate it all you want. :shrug: That would be my guess. :shrug:

Cool. I just got done reading a book that was based on a true story and was wondering how "true" it was. Thanks!

D

dems4me

Gwydion said:
Cool. I just got done reading a book that was based on a true story and was wondering how "true" it was. Thanks!

I didn't say I was right, that's just my guess on it :shrug: :smile:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Gwydion said:
Try googling events/places/names from the book.

Gwydion

I just got done reading, The French Connection, Baby Insane and the Buddha, and The Story behind the Whaleship Essex.