9/11 - Where were you?

TPD

the poor dad
Was getting a cup of coffee at what is now Baymart in Ridge. At the time my father-in-law owned the place (Ben's Bar & Grocery) so was visiting with him. He had the television on when the first plane had just hit the WTC. Left there and went to Dyson's to pick up some lumber for a remodel project I was doing at my house. By the time we got there, one of the towers had fallen - stuff was getting real, Pax River was closing, no one still quite sure what was happening.

I never understood how people could remember where they were when Kennedy was shot until this day.

stgislander

PREMO Member
A regular workday, until Gilligan said something was going on in NYC. We walked over to his now burned downed house and watched TV all morning. Our co-worker was less a mile or two from National Airport going to catch a flight when the plane hit the pentagon

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I heard it on the radio as I was heading over to Pax to visit a customer. At that moment, it was a single private plane that hit one tower. Took a while before the real story sank in.

black dog

Free America
I was on a job about a mile outside BWI airport, my wife called and said a plane had hit one of the towers. While we were talking she watched the second plane hit. A bit later she called and was watching and telling me about all the people jumping... I finished work around 6pm that night and then spent a few hours driving back to St Marys.
It was strange not to see any contrails in the sky.
To this day watching that 20 years ago still affects her.

Now we are arming our enemies...

black dog

Free America
I never understood how people could remember where they were when Kennedy was shot until this day.

It was cold outside, i
I was in kindergarten and it came over the intercom.
Go home, don't dawdel, walk don't run, your parents will be home to meet you.
My older sister grabbed my hand and we ran home wondering what is happening for our father to be home?
And America wept for days.

Last edited:

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Tuesday was my scheduled day off, after we got the kids off to school a friend and I headed to Leonardtown to visit the shops and have lunch.

About 930 we asked why employees in every shop were glued to the TV, they told us and we immediately headed back home.

To the horrors of our own TVs.

DaSDGuy

Dropping my MIL off at BWI for a flight to Texas. Commented on how many people were in the bars drinking before their flight. Got to the gate and we were told all flights cancelled. Picked up her checked bag and came back to St. Mary's. Only then did the radio have coverage. Saw the smoke from the Pentagon on the drive home. Took over an hour during the drive to get a cell phone call through to my SO to let her know we were OK. Picked up my 7 year old son from Bay Montessori on the way home. Thankfully the staff there kept the kids away from tv/radio so he had no clue.
And Kennedy? I was in school. Mom ran all the way there in tears to get me. I was about the same age as my son was on 9/11. His son/my grandson is 5. Hopefully the pattern is broken.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I was in our home office doing some writing. My Mrs. comes down the hall from the living room and tells me there has been a bad plane crash into the WTC. I turned on the TV and a minute later the plane hits the 2nd tower. I stuck my head out the door and called to her: "We're at war." That was before the news about the Pentagon and Flight 93.

I was with the 906th CES attached to the 906 Fighter Wing at Wright-Patterson AFB, OH before I mustered out in 1992. We moved to northern, IL in 1996.

I learned yesterday that the pilot of Flight 93, Captain Jason Dahl, was one of our 906th pilots. I never met him, as us civil engineer types never had much contact with the fliers and maintainers.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Was at work at NSWC Indianhead.

Got a phone call from my mother telling me if I was near a television to turn it on. So I walked into the conference room and turned on the television in there. One of my coworkers Walked in and we were talking about what possibly hit the building just as the second plane hit the second tower.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I was in my office in B2185 when one of my SMEs came in and told me. We walked to the conference room and saw the second plane hit. Shortly thereafter, we secured our lab and went home.

black dog

Free America
I was with the 906th CES attached to the 906 Fighter Wing at Wright-Patterson AFB, OH before I mustered out in 1992. We moved to northern, IL in 1996.

I learned yesterday that the pilot of Flight 93, Captain Jason Dahl, was one of our 906th pilots. I never met him, as us civil engineer types never had much contact with the fliers and maintainers.

As big as our armed services are, its amazing how small it can be...
One of my exs older brothers was stationed at Wright during VN he bought a home in Hubert Heights and raised a son and two daughters.
With 911 his son went AF maybe 2 weeks after HS grad. Load Master still at WP.
He has 2 sons and a daughter. One son is a Marine Raider and the other two sons a AF PJ's.
All three are well traveled..
Thanks for your service....

GregV814

I was working for the Anne Arundel County government back then. I was driving to Baltimore County PD Hqtrs. via 695. I was listening to Tim Brant on WMAL 630. He broke into a song with a report of a plane hitting a skyscraper in NY.
Then the other reports came in and the National news broke the story.
Weird as sht, the traffic at 695/95 stopped DEAD. i THOUGHT, hOLY fecal matter , if a plane has targeted this intersection, I was history.

The Baltimore County hQTRS. building was shut down but they let me in. I spent 2-3 hours up there. It was like watching the Challenger all over again, but this time we were told to get the hell out of the building IMMEDIATELY!!!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Working for a small IT Consulting Company In Laural at the time.

We heard about the 1st plane and tried getting news online ...

WE Watch it all unfold, streaming in a tiny window on an computer from the BBC Website because all of the US News Websites were saturated and you could not get a connection .....

When the 2nd Plane hit we knew something was up, then the Pentagon ... we pulled out guys out of DC [ there were rumors of bombs going off downtown at that point ]

Hessian

Heard it from a colleague in the hall---Went to the classroom and was glued to reports coming from the net. Kids gathered in the science lab to watch it on the TV...we had so many kids from Bolling, Andrews and yes the Pentagon too. Lingered for hours to help parents scoop up their kids.....many kids couldn't get back on Andrews because of the lockdown. We finally got the last kids grouped together with adequate supervision & drove down to Waldorf to watch coverage in the Red Hot & Blue bar section. School was cancelled Wednesday...maybe Thursday too.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was walking out the door heading for the greenhouse when the phone rang. It was my Mom - "Turn on CNN!!!" I was glued to the TV for days after that. I wish we still had our threads on here from that day.

Kennedy: I was one day old and in a hospital nursery.