We've been at war for 23 years...

Makavide

Not too talkative
How can you say you support the troops, but not back them in a war they have been fighting for 23 years?

"We've been at war for 23 years...

Credit goes to the Navy for this one:

U.S. Navy Capt. Ouimette is the XO of NAS, Pensacola. Here is a copy of the speech he gave earlier this month. A wonderful and accurate account of why we are in trouble today.

"That's what we think we heard on the 11th of September 2001 and maybe it was, but I think it should have been "Get Out of Bed!" In fact, I think the alarm clock has been buzzing since 1979 and we have continued to hit the snooze button and roll over for a few more minutes of peaceful sleep since then.

It was a cool fall day in November 1979 in a country going through a religious and political upheaval when a group of Iranian students attacked and seized the American Embassy in Tehran. This seizure was an outright attack on American soil; it was an attack that held the world's most powerful country hostage and paralyzed a Presidency. The attack on this sovereign US embassy set the stage for the events to follow for the next 23 years.

America was still reeling from the aftermath of the Viet Nam experience and had a serious threat from the Soviet Union when then, President Carter, had to do something. He chose to conduct a clandestine raid in the desert. The ill-fated mission ended in ruin, but stood as a symbol of America's inability to deal with terrorism.

America's military had been decimated and downsized / right sized since the end of the Viet Nam war. A poorly trained, poorly equipped and poorly organized military was called on to execute a complex mission that was doomed from the start.

Shortly after the Tehran experience, Americans began to be kidnapped and killed throughout the Middle East. America could do little to protect her citizens living and working abroad. The attacks against US soil continued. In April of 1983 a large vehicle packed with high explosives was driven into the US Embassy compound in Beirut. When it explodes, it kills 63 people. The alarm went off again and America hit the Snooze Button once more.

Then just six short months later a large truck heavily laden down with over 2500 pounds of TNT smashed through the main gate of the US Marine Corps headquarters in Beirut. 241 US servicemen are killed. America mourns her dead and hit the Snooze Button once more.

Two months later in December 1983, another truck loaded with explosives is driven into the US Embassy in Kuwait, and America continues her slumber.

The following year, in September 1984, another van was driven into the gates of the US Embassy in Beirut and America slept.

Soon the terrorism spreads to Europe. In April 1985 a bomb explodes in a restaurant frequented by US soldiers in Madrid.

Then in August a Volkswagen loaded with explosives is driven into the main gate of the US Air Force Base at Rhein-Main, 22 are killed and the Snooze Alarm is buzzing louder and louder as US soil is continually attacked.

Fifty-nine days later a cruise ship, the Achille Lauro is hijacked and we watched as an American in a wheelchair is singled out of the passenger list and executed.

The terrorists then shift their tactics to bombing civilian airliners when they bomb TWA Flight 840 in April of 1986 that killed 4 and the most tragic bombing, Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland in 1988, killing 259. America wants to treat these terrorist acts as crimes; in fact we are still trying to bring these people to trial. These are acts of war. The Wake Up alarm is louder and louder.

The terrorists decide to bring the fight to America. In January 1993, two CIA agents are shot and killed as they enter CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia.

The following month, February 1993, a group of terrorists are arrested after a rented van packed with explosives is driven into the underground parking garage of the World Trade Center in New York City. Six people are killed and over 1000 are injured. Still this is a crime and not an act of war? The Snooze alarm is depressed again.

Then in November 1995 a car bomb explodes at a US military complex in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia killing seven service men and women.

A few months later in June of 1996, another truck bomb explodes only 35 yards from the US military compound in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. It destroys the Khobar Towers, a US Air Force barracks, killing 19 and injuring over 500. The terrorists are getting braver and smarter as they see that America does not respond decisively.

They move to coordinate their attacks in a simultaneous attack on two US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. These attacks were planned with precision. They kill 224. America responds with cruise missile attacks and goes back to sleep.

The USS Cole was docked in the port of Aden, Yemen for refueling on 12 October 2000, when a small craft pulled along side the ship and exploded killing 17 US Navy Sailors. Attacking a US War Ship is an act of war, but we sent the FBI to investigate the crime and went back to sleep.

And of course you know the events of 11 September 2001. Most Americans think this was the first attack against US soil or in America.

How wrong they are. America has been under a constant attack since 1979 and we chose to hit the snooze alarm and roll over and go back to sleep.

In the news lately we have seen lots of finger pointing from every high official in government over what they knew and what they didn't know. But if you've read the papers and paid a little attention I think you can see exactly what they knew. You don't have to be in the FBI or CIA or on the National Security Council to see the pattern that has been developing since 1979.

The President is right when he says we are engaged in a war. I think we have been in a war for the past 23 years and it will continue until we as a people decide enough is enough.

America has to "Get out of Bed" and act decisively now. America has changed forever. We have to be ready to pay the price and make the sacrifice to ensure our way of life continues. We cannot afford to hit the Snooze Button again and roll over and go back to sleep. We have to make the terrorists know that in the words of Admiral Yamamoto after the attack on Pearl
Harbor "that all they have done is to awaken a sleeping giant."

This conflict is NOT something that started last month, or on 9/11.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That, Drunkard, is because you don't think of Saddam as a terrorist. However, he hangs out with terrorists, gives them money and terrorizes the hell out of the Iraqi people. But hey! THAT doesn't make him a terrorist! Let's give him the benefit of the doubt, eh? :duh:

jimmy

Drunkard
It doesn't make him a threat to our country, Vrai, which is the tripe we are being fed to justify this war.

Don't pull the human rights card out unless you are willing to lay it on the table in China, Syria, N. Korea, Iran, Basically ALL of Africa etc...which you may just be ready to do you nuke-happy gal you...

B

Beckweti

Originally posted by jimmy
It doesn't make him a threat to our country, Vrai, which is the tripe we are being fed to justify this war.

Don't pull the human rights card out unless you are willing to lay it on the table in China, Syria, N. Korea, Iran, Basically ALL of Africa etc...which you may just be ready to do you nuke-happy gal you...

:yeahthat: :yeahthat:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So what are you saying, Jimmy? That we either take out ALL dictators at the SAME time, or we take out NO dictators at all?

And you're right - if it were up to me we'd have fixed this problem a loooooong time ago. Our slavery in this country ended over 100 years ago - and the libs STILL talk about it and bawl about it like it was yesterday. All over the world, REAL slavery is going on right this very minute - and where are the libs? Off on a "peace" march.

B

Beckweti

Originally posted by vraiblonde
So what are you saying, Jimmy? That we either take out ALL dictators at the SAME time, or we take out NO dictators at all?

And you're right - if it were up to me we'd have fixed this problem a loooooong time ago. Our slavery in this country ended over 100 years ago - and the libs STILL talk about it and bawl about it like it was yesterday. All over the world, REAL slavery is going on right this very minute - and where are the libs? Off on a "peace" march.

So -- the Iraqis, koreans and cubans helped us end slavery :confused: Or is it that the US is the "world police"? Why is it that we tell other countries what they can and can't have, but they better not tell us what to do.

It really is just about to make me :barf: Just tell your wonderful Pres. to get his story straight on why we are sending our husbands, wives, and children to Iraq and maybe we can be more supportive. As it stands right now -- he really isn't even sure why he sent our troops over there.

SmallTown

Football season!
Our slavery in this country ended over 100 years ago - and the libs STILL talk about it and bawl about it like it was yesterday. All over the world, REAL slavery is going on right this very minute - and where are the libs? Off on a "peace" march.

Talk about not getting over it, check this out:
http://www.petitiononline.com/noabe/petition.html

I love some of the responses given to why they shouldn't have the statue there.
You lost. Get over it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oh look - Beck wants a piece too! :)howdy: and welcome to the forums, BTW. Now here's your butt-whippin'...)

So -- the Iraqis, koreans and cubans helped us end slavery Or is it that the US is the "world police"? Why is it that we tell other countries what they can and can't have, but they better not tell us what to do.
No. No. And because we can kick their butts.

The Iraqis, N. Koreans and Cubans still HAVE slavery - because that's about what dictatorships amount to. They've never helped anyone do anything good - why do you think people get on boats and risk their lives trying to get away? Anybody defecting from the US to any of these places?

The US is used frequently as the "world police" - who do you you think these folks come to when they need military help? France?

If by "telling countries what they can and can't have", you mean Iraq - bone up on your history and get back with me. We did not tell them anything - the UN did. And Saddam agreed to it to end the Gulf War. Now the UN doesn't want to enforce it's resolutions - so the US will do it for them because it's in our best interest.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by SmallTown
Talk about not getting over it, check this out
So there are more nuts in the world who can't get over it - big whoop. Your point is....? And it has to do with this conversation because.....?

B

Beckweti

Originally posted by bluto
Have fun watching your daughters wear burkas and get their a$$es kicked for going shopping when attitudes like yours lead to the demise of the West.

Whatever that means.

I am not for slavery if that is what you are implying -- I am however for minding our own US business or at least listening to what the UN has to say before we poke our chest out and say "we going with or without you" -- so that people like Sadam and the many others that will sprout up even when he is gone don't come this way and make your ignorant statement a reality!!

The fact is those countries didn't lift a finger to help us during the civil rights movement. It was the educated people in OUR country that rose up against this oppression.

Iraqis didn't ask for our help -- Bushwacker just took it upon himself to say "hey I hate Sadam -- let's kick his a$$ one time for my dad."

If this is about fighting dictators and terroism -- why is your loving president cutting funding to his own Homeland Security Defense Office??? I don't know about you, but I was taught you take care of family first!!

SmallTown

Football season!
So there are more nuts in the world who can't get over it - big whoop. Your point is....? And it has to do with this conversation because.....?

Just agreeing with you by showing another example of people not getting over something, especially considering the timeline similarities to your slavery comments

Guess you don't have people agreeing with you very often, huh? :biggrin: :cheers:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Beckweti
Iraqis didn't ask for our help
Are you retarded or do you just not understand what's been going on in that country? Iraqi citizens HAVE been asking us for help, my dear. Unfortunately they live under a dictator who doesn't let them just run around saying what they want. Do you think they enjoy being in fear for their lives? Do you think they enjoy being tortured and having their wives and daughters raped at-will?

Bushwacker just took it upon himself to say "hey I hate Sadam -- let's kick his a$$ one time for my dad."
I never heard him say that - please cite your source.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The fact is those countries didn't lift a finger to help us during the civil rights movement.
Please do not confuse the civil rights movement with the Civil War. They were two very different things and 100 years apart.

B

Beckweti

Oh look - Beck wants a piece too! :)howdy: and welcome to the forums, BTW. Now here's your butt-whippin'...)

No. No. And because we can kick their butts.

The Iraqis, N. Koreans and Cubans still HAVE slavery - because that's about what dictatorships amount to. They've never helped anyone do anything good - why do you think people get on boats and risk their lives trying to get away? Anybody defecting from the US to any of these places?

The US is used frequently as the "world police" - who do you you think these folks come to when they need military help? France?

If by "telling countries what they can and can't have", you mean Iraq - bone up on your history and get back with me. We did not tell them anything - the UN did. And Saddam agreed to it to end the Gulf War. Now the UN doesn't want to enforce it's resolutions - so the US will do it for them because it's in our best interest.

Oh baby -- pack your lunch cause this a$$ whoopin will be taking you a while.

If by best interest you me the oil -- then I guess your right! Lower prices at the pump -- that is what you hope happens right?

"Because we can kick their butts" -- you sound as bad as those dictators you wish to eliminate. Matter of fact you sound like a school bully. Right or wrong doesn't matter vrai the school bully will just kick your butt right along side Sadam and his son torturing athletes that didn't win.

My history is fine it but maybe yours that needs a little refreshing. While we were concentrating on other countries and their problems a terroist attack equal to no other in history occurred right here in New York on Sept. 11, 2001!! Fact is we were so busy being the "world police" that we weren't even policing our own country! Our CIA and FBI admittedly had no knowledge of what was happening. And to date, i have not heard one mention of illegal weapons and chemicals being found in Iraq. Oh but that doesn't matter to you now does it. It is just the fact that maybe he had some. Kind of like placing someone under arrest because they look suspicious. Not legal - hun!!!

The run to the U.S. because we have a history of having presidents i.e. Bushwacker and big daddy that act on a whim without support or facts!!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, Beck - you're obviously some kid so I'm not going to have this conversation with you. You don't know anything about world history. You don't know anything about current events. You fabricate stories, yet don't believe what the news guys report.

So stay ignorant in your fantasy world.

Plus that, you commit the cardinal sin in these forums - quoting WHOLE THREADS instead of just the statements you want to address.

SmallTown

Football season!
Okay, Beck - you're obviously some kid so I'm not going to have this conversation with you. You don't know anything about world history. You don't know anything about current events. You fabricate stories, yet don't believe what the news guys report.

So stay ignorant in your fantasy world.

Plus that, you commit the cardinal sin in these forums - quoting WHOLE THREADS instead of just the statements you want to address.

I didn't know that was a sin :smile:

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll shut up now :biggrin:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Beckweti,

Well your history and understanding of how we got here are pretty screwed up. First, Congress directed the President to take care of this ongoing situation, they made it a law that he do so. Many people remain ignorant of this fact. Next, there have been many documented instances of the Iraqis not being in compliance with their last chance as defined in resolution 1441. It was known by the inspectors when they left in 1998 that Iraq had these weapons and the inspectors were unable to confirm that the Iraqis destroyed their stockpiles. Iraq has missiles that exceed the range that the UN has authorized them to have. They support terrorism and have repeatedly stated that they wish our destruction. You really should educate yourself as to what is going on and pull your head out of the sand.

Do you think all of those protective suits and antidote that are being discovered are because they fear we will use chemical weapons? If so, it might not be sand your head is buried in.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Originally posted by Ken King
Beckweti,

Well your history and understanding of how we got here are pretty screwed up. First, Congress directed the President to take care of this ongoing situation, they made it a law that he do so. Many people remain ignorant of this fact. Next, there have been many documented instances of the Iraqis not being in compliance with their last chance as defined in resolution 1441. It was known by the inspectors when they left in 1998 that Iraq had these weapons and the inspectors were unable to confirm that the Iraqis destroyed their stockpiles. Iraq has missiles that exceed the range that the UN has authorized them to have. They support terrorism and have repeatedly stated that they wish our destruction. You really should educate yourself as to what is going on and pull your head out of the sand.

Do you think all of those protective suits and antidote that are being discovered are because they fear we will use chemical weapons? If so, it might not be sand your head is buried in.

OK Ken, wrong.

Congress authorized the President to go to war, didn't direct. There is a difference. (PL107-243). In fact the law was passed based upon white house request. If I recall it took a lot of political inwrangling to get the law passed.

Boy, I'm glad the US has never supported terrorism.....

Still haven't seen all those weapons of mass destruction, maybe saddam gave them all to his buddies Osama or Kim. You know, everybody hates america now that W is prez, maybe he gave them to the french or germans. We at least know that the Iraqi civilians we have killed are free.