Here's a guy who doesn't want to be President

SmallTown

Football season!
Unfortunatley, when the "glamour" of the war victory wears off, we'll see bush's numbers begin to tumble as we realize that after all the help we gave afghanistan and iraq, we neglected our own. One would have hoped he could have learned SOMETHING from his father.

Of course, the last time I heard a mention of regime change locally, a guy by the name of Bill Clinton was saying it.

So politically speaking, Bush is following a path known to fail, and Kerry is following a path that is known to work. (please god, prove me wrong)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I beg to differ, Jimmy...I mean, SmallTown. :lol: Big Bush's mistake was to try to play both sides of the fence. He wanted to go after Saddam BUT he still wanted that UN approval. The vast majority of US citizens are in favor of ousting dictators. Even the "peace" protestors. The only reason they're b*tching is because it's Bush doing it and not Clinton.

After the Gulf War high dissipated, we were left with a decent President who had a serious problem connecting with the American people. No personality, no warmth. Then there was that business of Saddam still being in power after all that. This is a different situation and Kerry's going to be sorry he spewed like that come election day.

demsformd

Not that I support Kerry's choice of words...although I do agree that President Bush's domestic agenda is reason enough to kick him out of office in a year and a half...Kerry here is making a textbook appeal to the people that vote in Democratic primaries, that is the liberal activists. Over the past twenty-five years, we have seen the ideological purging of the parties. Conservative Democrats are leaving, Liberal Republicans are leaving, and moderates are choosing to stay unaffilated rather than join a party. Thus in closed primaries, which Democratic by-laws insist states must have in order to receive the proper amount of delegates, the highest proportion of Democratic voters will most definitely be liberal. Take a look at John McCain three years ago, he sought moderate votes and cross-over appeal during the primary season. How did he do? He lost by Super Tuesday. McCain won open Republican primaries largely due to Democratic and independent support while he got stomped in closed primaries. Bush appealed to the conservative base (he spoke at Bob Jones University and made McCain look foolish on the abortion issue) and won the primaries. Then he went onto the general and used the compassionate conservative title much more often. Thus, it is certain that while in the primaries, one must appeal to the base. Kerry is feeling the heat from Dean and the other anti-war peace queers (Bluto, that's a great term) in the party. The Democratic candidates feel that they must have a strident and divisive tone in the primaries in order to get the support of the faithful that votes in primaries. Kerry here used terrible words but they could be a wonderful strategic move in order to garner primary votes.

I still cannot stand John Kerry and he will not receive my vote in the primary. He used terrible words here that turned me off even more to his campaign. But I can definitely understand from a strategic posture why he did it and what he is trying to do. After all, the Kerry campaign is all about turning the president out of power. So yes he is for regime change here in America. But God, why the hell did he use those words?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by demsformd
Over the past twenty-five years, we have seen the ideological purging of the parties. Conservative Democrats are leaving, Liberal Republicans are leaving, and moderates are choosing to stay unaffilated rather than join a party.

Dems, I attribute the purging to the Southern reaction to school desegregation and civil rights. Southern Democrats abandoned the party in droves between 1960 and 1980. They claimed to be for getting government out of people's lives, arguing that desegreation was an unconstitutional extension of federal power. I don't buy that, because you can make a very good case that Jim Crow was state government interfering in people's lives.

Part of the reason I'm an unaffiliated voter is because I don't like ideological orthodoxy. The idea that you have to be, say, pro-choice if you're a Democrat or, for example, anti-gun-control if you're a Republican. That's ridiculous. It treats every issue as black-and-white with no shades of grey.

demsformd

Originally posted by Tonio
Dems, I attribute the purging to the Southern reaction to school desegregation and civil rights. Southern Democrats abandoned the party in droves between 1960 and 1980. They claimed to be for getting government out of people's lives, arguing that desegreation was an unconstitutional extension of federal power. I don't buy that, because you can make a very good case that Jim Crow was state government interfering in people's lives.

Part of the reason I'm an unaffiliated voter is because I don't like ideological orthodoxy. The idea that you have to be, say, pro-choice if you're a Democrat or, for example, anti-gun-control if you're a Republican. That's ridiculous. It treats every issue as black-and-white with no shades of grey.

Good analysis Tonio, you are a true pleasure on this board. I have always felt that there is a home for mavericks in the parties. Look at McCain in the GOP and on a local level here, Dyson in the Democratic Party. I am basically anti-gun control and pro-Bush on Iraq and I still feel that the Democratic Party is a good place for me. An independent streak in the parties will help our government to progress I think.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm sitting here watching Hannity and Colmes. I never realized what an obnoxious, ignorant b*tch Susan Estrich is. I don't see how Hannity restrains himself from punching her in the face.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I just want you all to know that I NEVER talk to the television...but tonight I was YELLING at it. :lol: Larry was :roflmao: at me.