Sand Casting

Anybody do metal sand casting? I have some aluminum parts for a boat that I need to replicate. I have looked in to getting the broken parts welded back on, but was told the casting of the originals was of such low quality aluminum that they can't be welded, so I am looking to make new ones. Looking for somebody to teach me how.

huntr1 said:
Anybody do metal sand casting? I have some aluminum parts for a boat that I need to replicate. I have looked in to getting the broken parts welded back on, but was told the casting of the originals was of such low quality aluminum that they can't be welded, so I am looking to make new ones. Looking for somebody to teach me how.
How are you going to melt the aluminum?
pot

Last edited:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
huntr1 said:

I've done some aluminum casting.

Backyardmetalcasting.com is a good start for learning. I have some reference material as well but it'll cost ya beer and BBQ to read! :lmao:

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
How about some billet pieces, if not then triton should be able to help.

And if you want to make the pieces then lugnut might be your best bet since he has experience.

Lugnut said:
I've done some aluminum casting.

Backyardmetalcasting.com is a good start for learning. I have some reference material as well but it'll cost ya beer and BBQ to read! :lmao:
I'd be more than happy to provide beer and BBQ for somebody to show me how to do it.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
huntr1 said:
I'd be more than happy to provide beer and BBQ for somebody to show me how to do it.

:yay:

Lets get together after work sometime next week.

I'll bring a few books and if you're feeling ambitious we can get to work on a flask and some of the other tools you'll need.

I have a couple steel crucibles left over (unfired no less!) that you are welome to use. I also have a propane regulator, and an unfinished home made propane burner I'm willing to offer up for use.