Affordable Housing

goldielocks7

Has anyone heard of this? I called a couple days ago and I do meet the income requirements, whoohoo! but should i be thinking twice though? information was given but honestly it was alot to write down..... my bad

Looking for an affordable opportunity to buy a simple decent home? Patuxent Habitat for Humanity is now accepting applications for home ownership housing. To qualify, you must attend an Applicant Orientation Workshop, Reside in Calvert County or St. Mary’s County for the past year, meet income requirements, and reside in substandard housing.
You may call (301) 863-6227 for more information on the Applicant Orientation Workshop and to place a reservation for the Applicant Orientation Workshop.

Patuxent Habitat for Humanity builds and renovates homes with the help of partner family homeowners. Homes are sold at no profit to partner families and no-interest loans are issued over a fixed period.

Azzy

I saw a house today on my way to Prince Frederick, in Aquasco. The house was REALLY small. So small that you would be shocked that 3 bedrooms could fit into it, much less anything else, like a family room or a kitchen. I called about it and the asking price is $250k :yikes: Even if the market goes up again, I can't imagine someone being stupid enough to buy that house for more than $250k so I wonder just how much the value could possibly increase. A house can be 'worth' 500k but you gotta find someone stupid enough to pay that.

Azzy said:
I saw a house today on my way to Prince Frederick, in Aquasco. The house was REALLY small. So small that you would be shocked that 3 bedrooms could fit into it, much less anything else, like a family room or a kitchen. I called about it and the asking price is $250k :yikes: Even if the market goes up again, I can't imagine someone being stupid enough to buy that house for more than $250k so I wonder just how much the value could possibly increase. A house can be 'worth' 500k but you gotta find someone stupid enough to pay that.

Check your pm'r. Housing in PG is not cheap. Also, how much acreage comes with the house?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
My company worked very hard to provide funds and construction help for the first HfH home in St. Mary's County. It was turned over to the new homeowner last year, and the new house seems to be just the thing that this single mother needed to provide a nice home for her family. She wasn't just "given" the keys to the house; she had to put in effort, too, to get it. When we organized fund-raising events, she was right beside us pitching in, too. When we broke ground, she and her family were right there picking up a paint brush and assisting all the workers on various tasks.

You should definitely apply. But don't bother if you expect to get something for nothing.

closetrebel

thank you BadGirl...

for pointing out the positive aspects of the program and not the cynical attitude of sockgirl77.

sockgirl77

closetrebel said:
for pointing out the positive aspects of the program and not the cynical attitude of sockgirl77.
I'm not cynical. I am a realist. There are usually catches to those programs. I know that there are programs like that in this county that require you to do a substantial amount of volunteering for them. Many working people that have children do not have time for that. Also, there is a condo-ownership program going up behind Lexwood. That is why I asked about the ghetto issue. Who really wants to live back there? :rolleyes:

devilvice

Angel
Patuxent Habitat for Humanity requires 200 hours for each adult in the home if the family is chosen. I think any family that is lucky enough to be chosen should be more than willing to help if they are getting a home built or renovated for them. And some families really need the help, whether or not its in the "ghetto".

sockgirl77

devilvice said:
Patuxent Habitat for Humanity requires 200 hours for each adult in the home if the family is chosen. I think any family that is lucky enough to be chosen should be more than willing to help if they are getting a home built or renovated for them. And some families really need the help, whether or not its in the "ghetto".
What if it is a single mom of 3 that is working a few jobs to support her family and cannot volunteer 200 hours? This is the issue that I have with this. I referred a friend awhile ago. She has 3 kids. 2 jobs. She does not have 200 hours of spare time. She could not meet the requirements because of this. :frown:

devilvice

Angel
Well if the adult is unable to do 200 hours on the house, then administrative work can be done. And it does not interfere with full time jobs as it is done on Sat. I think 200 hours is cheap with getting a house.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
If all I had to do was work 200 hours to get affordable housing, I'd be all over that, regardless of what I had to do to make it happen.

sockgirl77

devilvice said:
Well if the adult is unable to do 200 hours on the house, then administrative work can be done. And it does not interfere with full time jobs as it is done on Sat. I think 200 hours is cheap with getting a house.
As I said, she works 2 jobs. She works at Wal*Fart on the weekends. It all sounds like a great program. I just knew that there were catches to it. Just like everything in life, there are strings attached. :yay:

devilvice

Angel
Screw the strings on it... its a deal for families that are unable to afford a house on the market. Excuses are what makes human great. There are excuses for everything, from why someone can't volunteer time to why someone ate the last PB&J sandwich that should have been for someone else. So a mom with x amount of kids can pass up on a deal of a lifetime because she can't find a sitter, talk to a boss about getting time off... any other excuses?

S

StrwberryKisses

I think its great that these programs are out there for those that need it. My question is how this will impack taxes the following year. Is it like winning money or a car from the radio where the prize value is considered income. If they build you a new house that is valued at 250K are you going to have to pay income taxes on that money?

If they are having problems affording housing how will they be able to afford the taxes later if htey are required???

nomoney

sockgirl77 said:
As I said, she works 2 jobs. She works at Wal*Fart on the weekends. It all sounds like a great program. I just knew that there were catches to it. Just like everything in life, there are strings attached. :yay:

Getting in community service isn't as hard as you're making it seem. If she has kids I'm pretty sure she can use her hours in a variety of ways

-helping coach any sports they're involved in,
-helping out at their school during one of their evening fundraisers,
-Taking the kids with her down to the point and while helping the park, teach the kids about a little history,
-help a non profit museum around the area again with her children.

Nothing says kids can't earn comm hours at the same time. Or that she'd even have to get a babysitter or take time off of work. Besides now and days kids need community serv hours as graduation requirements so it could become a family effort.