Calvert Co. Police & Ethics

Radioactive

Why are so many reported crimes in our county pending investigation? Burglary, vandalism, stolen property...seem to fall between the cracks. Check the headline news / police briefs and the answer seems apparent: county officers spend the most time 'making the best' of routine traffic stops.

It always amazes me how many write-ups start out "Officer M pulled over a vehicle for speeding" and end up with "found suspected marijuana." I used to believe that the police conducted these searches based on probable cause, but time and general observation has taught me otherwise. There is a massive difference between driving under the influence and being searched during a routine traffic stop.

The truth is, instead of cracking down on the nitty-gritty issues, some county officers “smell marijuana” during traffic stops, especially if the driver/passengers are young, casually dressed, or have a less than ‘flashy’ vehicle.

Of course, some ensuing searches do result in finding something illegal. And voila!, an easy arrest !!! High fives in the station! “We did it again boys!”

Was the nickel bag Jane Doe had at the bottom of her purse ‘illegal’? Yes. Was any of this ethically ‘right’? Hmmmmmm. And on the police report: “a strong odor of burnt marijuana.”

Undoubtedly, someone reading this will get on his/her high horse with: “..weed is illegal / all drugs are bad / you shouldn’t have it on you anyway.” Well, while Cpl. M. is spending an easy 2 hours manipulating an arrest for a victimless crime, he could be doing something like patroling residential neighborhoods or high-risk areas. And secondly, it is foolish to assume that cops’ ‘overzealous’ attitudes is limited to traffic stops.

When do we draw the line?

Well, I am of the opinion that if one doesn't have anything illegal in one's car than this isn't an issue.

Ponytail

Radioactive said:
Why are so many reported crimes in our county pending investigation? Burglary, vandalism, stolen property...And secondly, it is foolish to assume that cops’ ‘overzealous’ attitudes is limited to traffic stops.

When do we draw the line?

Uh, until Madame Butterfly and her crystal "tell all" ball can be made available to Calvert County, the police will have to do the ol' school investigations to try and figure who stole what.

As far as them smelling Mari J. Uanna during a traffic stop, what's the big deal? As far as i know, Calvert has no pending lawsuits for unlawful search/seizures, and I haven't heard of anyone being "harrassed" for search of their car during a routine traffic stop. I've been pulled over many times since living here for everything from speeding to not showing valid registration sticker on my trailer. Never was I searched. It may have something to do with me not smoking weed, or being an ass or giving teh officer a reason to search, but that might be reaching I know. Probably just lucky that way I guess.

What exactly are you complaining about? What is the "ethical" question?

Last edited:

Radioactive

Hahhaha, that is typical you would assume that crooked cops only target those who are potheads, acting like an ass, etc. Hey, I used to think that too.

I am currently a gym rat, but there were times that I smoked either for fun or relaxation. However, I was always responsible about it-- never drove impaired, etc. Mari. is a social norm, which many cities realize and focus on hard drugs like meth and crack. THESE are the people stealing for money. These are the people who need help.

I'm saying when police cheat, they break the rules, but we are expected to be honest to them. History shows us that public distrust of the police only spirals downward.

Sometimes quotas and recognition are reason enough to operate under their OWN rules.

We have 'probable cause' for a reason. Random drug searches were also stopped in the late 90s. For a reason.

To the person who said they never hear about lawsuits, that is because in order to recieve a "Probation before judgement", one must plead guilty and attend the county drug program $$$$$$. If the case is lost (due to old school judges, lying police, insufficient funds for a decent lawyer, etc), one risks having a conviction on his/her record.

Ponytail

Again, you are getting no where. What is the ethical question? What info do you have that suggests Calvert County Police Officers are crooked? And are you speaking of State Police in this County, or the Calvert Sherriffs Department.

You don't seem to have many facts that lead to your questions, but plenty of opinions. And I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the hell you are talking about?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Radioactive said:
I am currently a gym rat, but there were times that I smoked either for fun or relaxation. However, I was always responsible about it-- never drove impaired, etc. Mari. is a social norm, which many cities realize and focus on hard drugs like meth and crack.
Glad to hear you're a responsible criminal. :yay:
Guess what stoney, marijuana is only a social "norm" if all your friends are stoners.

snuzzy

Calvert County Officers recovered our stolen property, delivered it back to us, the crooks were prosecuted and money was returned to us for damage of the property that was stolen. :larry:

Drug use and possession is not a "victimless" crime, follow the chain of the "mary jane" from the fields to the "person's purse" it was found in and you will find guns, deaths, bribery, thefts...How about the "motorist" who risks everyone's life to avoid being caught by starting a high speed chase? Ever watch "Cops"? It sound to me like the Calvert County Officers have found an efficient way to legally curtail crime in our county. :yay:

Radioactive

I don't see cocaine being prescribed for medicinal usage.

Marijuana was grouped with the other drugs thanks to Nixon. Do some research before re-hashing (no pun intended :razz: ) what you learned in DARE.

And if you think its 'efficient' for cops to invent probable cause, you obviously aren't a big fan of personal rights to begin with.

Ponytail

Radioactive said:

Marijuana was grouped with the other drugs thanks to Nixon. Do some research before re-hashing (no pun intended :razz: ) what you learned in DARE.

And if you think its 'efficient' for cops to invent probable cause, you obviously aren't a big fan of personal rights to begin with.

So what were you initially stopped for? And how much did Mom and Dad have to pay to bail your sorry azz out?

Last edited:

Radioactive

Social Norm

HTML:
Guess what stoney, marijuana is only a social "norm" if all your friends are stoners.

Oh right, I guess that's why someone is arrested for smoking weed every 4.5 seconds. Because it's only my friends right.
I guess that's why it's considered a "petty offense" (a ticketed fine) in several states, with more on the way.

C

czygvtwkr

Radioactive said:
HTML:

Oh right, I guess that's why someone is arrested for smoking weed every 4.5 seconds. Because it's only my friends right.
I guess that's why it's considered a "petty offense" (a ticketed fine) in several states, with more on the way.

I believe a woman is raped in the US every 10 seconds or so, does that make rape the norm?

Ponytail

Radioactive said:
HTML:

Ya know why ya never hear of anyone that is a casual smoker of weed truly being successful in this world? It's not cuz there ain't any, it's cuz it's the smart ones that make it. The stupid ones get caught.

Last edited:

snuzzy

Radioactive said:

Sorry...way too old for DARE. Whether Nixon should or should not have grouped marijuana "with the other drugs" is a mute point, it is illegal and it is the cause of deadly crimes. I do believe cocaine, at least a form of it, was in the original Coca Cola recipe, so much for the "medicinal" argument!

You would be correct, as a law abiding citizen, I uphold the "good of the majority" over personal rights. :flowers:

snuzzy

P.S. Here's hoping you never get any "weed" laced with PCP. :dead: Not so "victimless" then. Please don't be so naive to think it can't happen to you "cause you only buy from friends..."

Ponytail

chernmax said:
Smoke up Cheech, ahhh what was this thread about again??? :whistle:

hahaha...I reached that conclusion after the very first post! Dayum...switch to "menthol lights", eh? :lol: