Vera Freeman

'SkinsFan

In today's Washington Post obituaries there is a notice that Vera Freeman of Lusby died January 23. I hadn't heard that she was sick. I was so sorry to read this. She was an institution in Calvert County even though she sold the restaurant/marina. I am assuming the obituary was for the same Vera Freeman.

S

somdebay

I had heard she was sick and wasn't doing too well, but I had no idea she had passed.

Toxick

Splat
CableChick said:
:yeahthat: I was lucky to meet her years ago, but never was able to converse with her long. I'm sure she had many tales.

That she did.

I tended bar at White Sands for a while about a hundred years ago. She is every bit as interesting as you'd think.

'SkinsFan

cattitude said:
RIP

She was a very interesting and unique woman.

I agree!
In 1994, I bought a book, Maryland's Vanishing Lives, by John Sherwood (Johns Hopkins University Press). There was a piece on Vera in it, so, soon after I got the book, I took it over to White Sands and asked her to autograph her photograph in the book, which refers to her as "Empress of the White Sands." I went to the restaurant frequently just to see her and soak up the atmosphere and beauty of "Veraland". We've lost a very special lady.

If you ever come across a copy of the book in a used book store, I urge you to buy it.

S

somdebay

[QUOTE='SkinsFan]I agree!
In 1994, I bought a book, Maryland's Vanishing Lives, by John Sherwood (Johns Hopkins University Press). There was a piece on Vera in it, so, soon after I got the book, I took it over to White Sands and asked her to autograph her photograph in the book, which refers to her as "Empress of the White Sands." I went to the restaurant frequently just to see her and soak up the atmosphere and beauty of "Veraland". We've lost a very special lady.

If you ever come across a copy of the book in a used book store, I urge you to buy it.[/QUOTE]

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marylands-Vanis...goryZ378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

joedancer

bookman
[QUOTE='SkinsFan]I agree!

If you ever come across a copy of the book in a used book store, I urge you to buy it.[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to engage in shameless commerce but, I have several copies of this book in my shop, if anyone is interested, pm me.
(I realize this is an old post, but I just came across it).

My best,
Joe