Birds!!! Counting Birds!!

D

dems4me

The GREAT BACKYARD BIRD COUNT is upon us!! :clap: To help understand and protect birds better. The GBBC is trying to track the migration of birds and a rough species count in this area to see if its growing or shrinking. February 16-19 is when you do the tracking. If you have 15 minutes to spare, they would appreciate it if you could look outside and count the different birds and types then submit it to a survey -- here ------> http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/howto.html

It would be great if forumites could help in this effort. :clap: Or you can post your findings here and I'll submit it to the survey for y'all. 15 minutes per location. :smile: Also there's cash prizes for bird picture's too if anyone's inclined.

I plan on helping out with this cause, only problem is I'm not sure which bird is which... I know what a cardinal looks like, and a female, and a blue jay and that's about it...all the little birds with brown hair confuses me though :crazy: Is there a website that distinquishes which birds are indiginous to this area so I can relay an accurate survey??? Is there a link that just shows bird pictures for this area and the name of it? I've also noticed there's a zebra looking woodpecker with red hair outside alot. Does anyone have a link? Let's help out the little birdies!!! :huggy: Together we can do this!!! :clap: :clap:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
dems4me said:
I've also noticed there's a zebra looking woodpecker with red hair outside alot.

Birds don't have hair. Are you sure it's not someone's step child?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I wonder if this is the same kind of woodpecker that hangs out on our building at work during the summer.

D

dems4me

cattitude said:
red bellied woodpecker..we have a bunch of them..as well as the downeys..

Mine don't have a red belly just red on his head. What's the downey look like?

D

dems4me

aps45819 said:
most likely a red crested woodpecker

Do you have a list with pictures for this area? I can remember that... now I need to sort out all these little brown birds and some grey ones. I've seen a few blue birds too. Is that their technical name? Blue bird? They are round and fat and I think have orangish wings or bellies... I don't remember.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
dems4me said:
Do you have a list with pictures for this area? I can remember that... now I need to sort out all these little brown birds and some grey ones. I've seen a few blue birds too. Is that their technical name? Blue bird? They are round and fat and I think have orangish wings or bellies... I don't remember.
Get the Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds. You should be able to get it any any bookstore.

D

dems4me

elaine said:
dems4me said:
Are you sure that's not "like white on rice" or "like flies on sh!t"?

Yeah, I guess I've always just got it backwards. I just hollered to River...isn't there a saying like "flies on rice" or something???" She said something about flies, sh!t 'n pepper, I didn't know flies sh!t anything personaly, then we discussed what it was I was trying to imply :crazy:

:lol: I think I like the white on rice better though :lol: Makes more sense :lol: