Name Brand Crisis Question!

K

Kain99

Is it important for you to purchase name brand groceries or do "generics" suffice?

Personally, Name Brand items are critical when it comes to:

Mayonaise
Ketchup
Mustard
Vinegar
Marinades
Laundry Detergent
Dishwasher Detergent
Chicken
Augratin Potatoes
Mac and Cheese
Maybe a couple others.

So what do you think? Is this another psychological disorder or perfectly normal? :biggrin:

J

justhangn

Originally posted by Kain99
think this is another psychological disorder

:lol:

OK, all jokes aside, it depends on the taste. MOST times it has to be name brand to taste good. JMHO

SmallTown

Football season!
Is this another psychological disorder or perfectly normal? :biggrin:

That is something doctors will decide, not us.

The only things I really care about when shopping is if I buy cheese for sandwiches, it has to be Kraft Singles. For laundrey detergent, always go with Tide Liquid with Bleach Alternative. Other than that, I don't have any real preference. I stay away from powder dishwasher detergent

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Cheap ketchup and Mac&Cheese (unless the BN is cheaper on sale). My kids don't care one bit, no one else eats it.

Vinegar is all the same, just has a different label for each store brand.

Augratin Potatoes: in a box? NO way! :barf: I don't buy prepared side dishes.

Mayo: I like Duke's or Hellman's.

... also Jalapeno mustard. :yum:

No one here really cares about brand names, only if we run out of something. :lol:

K

Kain99

Originally posted by Sharon
No one here really cares about brand names, only if we run out of something. :lol:

Really? I'm suprised...... With all the cooking that you do? I thought you'd definitely be one to check the labels. Interesting, very interesting. :lmao:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I thought you'd definitely be one to check the labels.
I do check food ingredient labels. If there's more chemicals/additives/stabilizers etc. than actual food product it goes back on the shelf.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Mayo is duke or hellman's but other than that it don't matter one bit to me. I check the food content label, and don't even worry about what name is on it. (I think I recently was asked what tea I used and I said I don't know and it was the truth):biggrin:

K

Kain99

Originally posted by cariblue
If a name brand is the better product, by all means. If it's not the better product, purchase the less expensive item.

Well, that was my whole point. I thnk that more times than not, the name brand is a better product. (Especially when ya check out the labels.)

I can taste the difference and when it comes to cleaning, definitely see the difference.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by cariblue
You taste your cleaning products?

Best way to tell if they are good. If you get a good burning feeling, it is good. Otherwise, it stays on the shelf

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Basically, I'll try anything once if it's cheaper and then decide if I need to stay with the brand name or the generic

I buy JIF peanut butter because there is a big difference from the generic. Also, I use Cascade dishwasher detergent

Most store brands are made by a big name company. Food Lion American cheese singles are made by Land o' Lakes. Giant label chicken comes from Purdue and someone else (I don't remember who) uses Tyson

I had a neighbor who all the kids in the neighborhood said she made the best Mac & Cheese. Her secret: buy the generic and toss in a slice of American cheese (generic of course). My kids like Food Lion brand better than Kraft anyway.

Surprisingly enough, my husband prefers WalMart brand soda (@$.58 ea.) over Pepsi. He'd rather drink Coke, but for half the price, Walmart it good enough.

Brand name cereals are better, but generics are a LOT cheaper, so I buy generic kid cereals (too bad they'll just have to get used to the cheap stuff) and name brand adult cereal.

Generic pop-tarts suck, but the kids don't care and I'm not the one eating them. Quaker has a new one out that anyone who likes pop-tarts should try, they are MUCH better than "Pop-Tart" brand and they are higher in nutrition but my 4-yr old won't eat them b/c they don't have sprinkles (then he can eat store brand, they're cheaper anyway)

I usually use name brand laundry detergent but I've been experimenting with different kinds. I tried generic this last time and I'm going back to the good stuff.

Last edited:
J

justhangn

I'm just waiting for one of the many MPD's to post something revolting........

magchinees.gif

SmallTown

Football season!
one of the worst generic items are the food lion brand kitchen trash bags. Thin pieces of crap that couldn't even hold a piece of cotton.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by SmallTown
one of the worst generic items are the food lion brand kitchen trash bags. Thin pieces of crap that couldn't even hold a piece of cotton.

They're probably made by Hefty b/c those are the worst pieces of crap I've ever seen, use GLAD.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by cmcdanal
They're probably made by Hefty b/c those are the worst pieces of crap I've ever seen, use GLAD.
Yep, that is what I use. Never tried the hefty bags. Guess I won't now!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I've used the FL brand and Hefty bags, just be sure to buy the .9mil bags (or higher) and not the thinner ones.

F

Flo

I use Hellmann's mayonnaise most of the time....and sometimes, Duke's.

Don't have a dishwasher:smile:, so I prefer "Palmolive."

Laundry Detergent: Tide or Wisk.
Bleach: Clorox for the whites (brighten and disinfect)

Liquid Fabric Softner (clothes line used in warm/sunny weather): Most of the time it is the $2.99 brand.
Dryer Fabric Softner Sheets: Doesn't matter too much, as long as they don't fall apart in the dryer.

Packaged Macaroni & Cheese or Au Gratin Potatoes ...... :barf:

F

Flo

Originally posted by cmcdanal

I also use GLAD. Nothing else compares to the strength.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Consumer reports said walmart brand dishwashing soap (not dish soap for manual use) was the top rated and cost about 1/2 of what cascade costs.

Trash bags, True Value brand.

Vinegar??? Isn't it all the same, depends on what you're using it for I suppose.

Ketchup/Catsup: Used to like Brooks, can't find it in this part of the country.

Last edited: