Looking for a church

1961PinkPetals

Does anyone know of any old-time, bible teaching "country" churches in the St.Mary's/Calvert County areas? We would like to find a Pentecostal church that uses the King James Bible, sings the old hymns and believes in the trinity. Doesn't have to be a large congregation - could even be a group that meets in a home. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
K

Kain99

The Pentecostals in this area, jam to "Positive Hits!" Otherwise they offer what ya want. :huggy:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I think a gent called 2nd Amendment attends a Pentacostal Church?

Not sure, but?

K

Kain99

Penn said:

Not sure, but?
He certainly does! Great Churches... Not sure, where she built her demands. Seems a tiny bit confused. The Methodists sound perfect! Trust me, I work for them. :huggy:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Penn said:

Not sure, but?
Yes, I do. But 1961PinkPetals has some criteria that our church does not entirely meet, so I did not respond. But in the interest of being open:

Preaching is from the King James and other translations of the Bible. The 9 AM service is more the old hymns but not entirely. The 11 AM service rocks. And the trinity is, well, we believe in one God that exhibits in at least three distinct ways, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, but they, as confusing as it might be to some, are one God.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
brendar buhl said:
Are there any churches around here that don't believe in the Trinity?
Yes. Where I go does not use the word trinity. I think many churches don't but they do recognize the Father, Jesus (God the Father come as man), and the Holy Spirit (the Spirit of the Father), but emphasize ONE GOD. The concept of trinity was not part of the original church (body of believers) and the word trinity is not in the Bible. The concept or expression of trinity was not brought to prevalence until after the First Council of Nicaea. But even with the concept of trinity, there is only one God.

But a rose would be a rose by any other name. God is God whether Father, Jesus, or Holy Spirit.

brendar buhl

Doesn't seem Christian
2ndAmendment said:
...But a rose would be a rose by any other name. God is God whether Father, Jesus, or Holy Spirit.

So, do you believe? In the Trinity, that is. Did Jesus pray to God or was he just talking to himself?

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
brendar buhl said:
So, do you believe? In the Trinity, that is. Did Jesus pray to God or was he just talking to himself?
The Bible calls Jesus the Son of man. It is impossible for me to completely understand how, as the man Jesus, the Father could separate Himself and withhold information from Himself, but Jesus states that the day of His second coming was only known by the Father at the time Jesus was speaking. Jesus clearly states that He and the Father are one after the resurrection. Prior to the resurrection, there seems to be a different relationship. Jesus prayed to the Father. John the Baptist recognized Jesus as God, the Messiah.

Consider the fact that Jesus died on the cross. God can not die. Jesus cried out lamenting that God had left Him. I believe that is an indication that the Spirit of God withdrew from the body; if the Spirit had not, Jesus could not have died. The resurrection of the body was the Spirit reentering the body. The Spirit of God is life.

I believe in one God but with the ability to manifest Himself in various ways. God is the Creator and, according to the Bible, performed the creation as Y'shua (Jesus). God is the Father. God is the Holy Spirit. God is Spirit and humans of the Spirit still only dimly understand the things of the Spirit. Humans not of the Spirit don't understand at all.

I do not presume to understand God nor do I presume to limit God by my lack of understanding. God is God. I understand that I do not understand.

brendar buhl

Doesn't seem Christian
Kinda spooky, isn't it, how we can believe things we don't understand? Most of the things that we really believe in we would have difficulty explaining. And not just as Christians. I don't really understand how gravity, electricity or the tax system work but I know not to step off of roof tops, make toast in the bathtub or try to cheat Uncle Sam.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
brendar buhl said:
Kinda spooky, isn't it, how we can believe things we don't understand? Most of the things that we really believe in we would have difficulty explaining. And not just as Christians. I don't really understand how gravity, electricity or the tax system work but I know not to step off of roof tops, make toast in the bathtub or try to cheat Uncle Sam.
:lmao:

John 20:25-29

25So the other disciples were saying to him, "We have seen the Lord!" But he said to them, "Unless I see in His hands the imprint of the nails, and put my finger into the place of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe."

26After eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors having been shut, and stood in their midst and said, "Peace be with you."

27Then He said to Thomas, "Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing."

28Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"

29Jesus said to him, "Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed."

Hessian

As you think of it...

You might be hard pressed to find any church today that avoids contemporary music. I am sure there are some Episcopalian services but that would totally run counter to pentecostal worship.

Most churches are struggling with patterns of worship services and thus Compromise to try to please everyone while satisfying few.

My church would not oppose certain pentecostal practices but...it just wouldn't appeal to those who desire lively entertaining worship.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Hessian said:
You might be hard pressed to find any church today that avoids contemporary music. I am sure there are some Episcopalian services but that would totally run counter to pentecostal worship.

Most churches are struggling with patterns of worship services and thus Compromise to try to please everyone while satisfying few.

My church would not oppose certain pentecostal practices but...it just wouldn't appeal to those who desire lively entertaining worship.
Amazing what some churches hold as doctrine.

Some say the King James version of the Bible is the ONLY true Bible. The frontispiece does not say Authorized by God; it says Authorized by King James. It was the modern English version of the day.

Some churches say the gifts of the Holy Spirit are from satan. Sounds a lot like the Pharisees.
Matthew 12:23-25

23All the crowds were amazed, and were saying, "This man cannot be the Son of David, can he?"

24But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, "This man casts out demons only by Beelzebul the ruler of the demons."

25And knowing their thoughts Jesus said to them, "Any kingdom divided against itself is laid waste; and any city or house divided against itself will not stand.
There is a independent Baptist church in Lexington Park. My son and his non-believer friend were talking with one of its members who was out witnessing. My son said two other older men came over and started railing at my son's friend. They undid in a few minutes the foundation I have been laying for quite a while. Sad. Militant, forceful, argumentative, witnessing rarely works and that is, according to my son, what these two older guys were doing. This church is also a KJV only church. Hey, if you want to read the KJV, good for you, but most find it hard to understand, not because of the message, but because of the Old English.

Last edited:

This_person

2ndAmendment said:
The Bible calls Jesus the Son of man. It is impossible for me to completely understand how, as the man Jesus, the Father could separate Himself and withhold information from Himself, but Jesus states that the day of His second coming was only known by the Father at the time Jesus was speaking. Jesus clearly states that He and the Father are one after the resurrection. Prior to the resurrection, there seems to be a different relationship. Jesus prayed to the Father. John the Baptist recognized Jesus as God, the Messiah.

Consider the fact that Jesus died on the cross. God can not die. Jesus cried out lamenting that God had left Him. I believe that is an indication that the Spirit of God withdrew from the body; if the Spirit had not, Jesus could not have died. The resurrection of the body was the Spirit reentering the body. The Spirit of God is life.

I believe in one God but with the ability to manifest Himself in various ways. God is the Creator and, according to the Bible, performed the creation as Y'shua (Jesus). God is the Father. God is the Holy Spirit. God is Spirit and humans of the Spirit still only dimly understand the things of the Spirit. Humans not of the Spirit don't understand at all.

I do not presume to understand God nor do I presume to limit God by my lack of understanding. God is God. I understand that I do not understand.

Outstandingly well worded. I'm impressed :notworthy

Dondi

Dondi
2ndAmendment said:
Amazing what some churches hold as doctrine.

Some say the King James version of the Bible is the ONLY true Bible. The frontispiece does not say Authorized by God; it says Authorized by King James. It was the modern English version of the day.

Some churches say the gifts of the Holy Spirit are from satan. Sounds a lot like the Pharisees.
There is a independent Baptist church in Lexington Park. My son and his non-believer friend were talking with one of its members who was out witnessing. My son said two other older men came over and started railing at my son's friend. They undid in a few minutes the foundation I have been laying for quite a while. Sad. Militant, forceful, argumentative, witnessing rarely works and that is, according to my son, what these two older guys were doing. This church is also a KJV only church. Hey, if you want to read the KJV, good for you, but most find it have to understand, not because of the message, but because of the Old English.

2A,

Do you happen to know which Baptist church this was? I happen to go to an independent Baptist church in the area, but this doesn't sound like anyone of our members. But if it is I'd like to know. That is not the approach our church teaches. Please PM me if you would.

Hessian

Not sure they would call it doctrine...

more like likely: Practice.

Several couples were raising their hands while singing on Sunday...
I'm very certain we believe in miraculous healing too.

It crosses the line when there would be speaking in tongues or being slain in the spirit....but of course it does come down to the question of the Book of ACTS and whether the demonstrative gifts were for all churches for all times or were they for the early generations before the NT was completed....(Wife was raised Pentecostal>>me: Presbyterian.-makes for long conversations :love: )

I suppose in many ways the denominations are like a large family: its great to get together for Thanksgiving and reunions but...not great to move in together.
:lmao:

I attend the Pentecostal services up with the in-laws as you know,..frankly: the sense of Solemnity/Awe/Reverence has been replaced with Jesus is my best buddy in cut off blue jeans....I just can't handle that. The songs often lean too heavily on "fill ME, hold ME,..lift ME..."
as opposed to:
Praise to the Lord the Almighty, the King of Creation,
Oh my soul praise Him for he is thy Health and Salvation,
All ye who hear,
Now to His temple draw near,
Join me in glad adoration.

The "me" reference in that hymn is less about doing something for me and rather pointing to the obedient communal act of adoration.

"All creatures of our God and King,
Lift up your voice and with us sing,...."

or...

"Ein Feste Burg ist Unser Gott,..."

(those two never fails to bring tears to my eyes...-it is not a plea for God to do something for me....rather a recognition of His Overwhelming power and my due obedience and temporal role in His kingdom.)

(can you tell traditional worship has been lacking???)

brendar buhl

Doesn't seem Christian
Hessian said:
more like likely: Practice.
...The songs often lean too heavily on "fill ME, hold ME,..lift ME..."
as opposed to:
Praise to the Lord the Almighty, the King of Creation,
Oh my soul praise Him for he is thy Health and Salvation,
All ye who hear,
Now to His temple draw near,
Join me in glad adoration.

The "me" reference in that hymn is less about doing something for me and rather pointing to the obedient communal act of adoration.

"All creatures of our God and King,
Lift up your voice and with us sing,...."

or...

"Ein Feste Burg ist Unser Gott,..."

(those two never fails to bring tears to my eyes...-it is not a plea for God to do something for me....rather a recognition of His Overwhelming power and my due obedience and temporal role in His kingdom.)

(can you tell traditional worship has been lacking???)

Excellent point. I have found very few contemporary songs where the text is so grounded in scripture as the old hymns. However there may be nothing so boring in all creation than organ music. So what am I to do?
There is a group called Indelible Grace that has taken the old classic hymns and put them to contemporary yet reverent music. There is no music that compels me to worship quite like these songs. I've bought the CDs and listen to them often and it has been a huge blessing. Every now and them my church's Praise & Worship team will do similar pieces and it is fantastic.

SamSpade

brendar buhl said:

The only way I was able to understand was that God is eternal, but Jesus was temporal; therefore God exists outside of time, outside of the universe, and time is just another dimension to him. So he sees all things, past, present and future - at once. (Kind of hard for a temporal being to see from an eternal perspective - the best grasp I have is, I'm a character in a book, and he's read it).

I never saw this is some kind of 'jump'. If God created the universe - he doesn't live there. If God created time, he doesn't live within it. Heaven is not 'forever' or a very long time - it's eternal, which is not the same thing.

brendar buhl

Doesn't seem Christian
SamSpade said:
The only way I was able to understand was that God is eternal, but Jesus was temporal; therefore God exists outside of time, outside of the universe, and time is just another dimension to him. So he sees all things, past, present and future - at once. (Kind of hard for a temporal being to see from an eternal perspective - the best grasp I have is, I'm a character in a book, and he's read it).

I never saw this is some kind of 'jump'. If God created the universe - he doesn't live there. If God created time, he doesn't live within it. Heaven is not 'forever' or a very long time - it's eternal, which is not the same thing.
That is a huge point that is central to Christianity and yet completely ignored by so many Christians. This point of God's timelessness has large implications in the topic of the "Jesus documentary part two.." thread. God's perspective is what we were trying to discuss and since we are being trapped in time and God's exists outside of any limitations of time it is impossible for us to have any rational understanding of God's perspective.