97.7 The Rocket is no more

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

If station owners were to just bring back the DJ, (disk jockey) or for today a DJ, (digital jockey). haha Here's how it could work. Instead of having a separate sales team, the DJ, after their 3 hour show, would hit the road selling ads. Partly responsible for his or her compensation. Or, at a minimum, visiting the stations advertisers. Getting to know their listening area, the local businesses, and nuances of the people listening better enabling them to interact on air about local issues and events.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

TBone and Heather have done a great job doing this.
That is true. They actively participate in the current affairs of Southern Maryland. Now if they could just find someone for 97.7 to kinda do the same. Take play requests. Talk about interesting stuff. Give people a reason to listen. But nope. The owners are chasing the money down the rabbit hole by hoping for higher returns via automation and outsourcing giving the locals nothing but generic mundane chatter with a programed play list set to shuffle. Is it any wonder that there really isn't any local business advertisers on 97.7? Most all are national or regional corporate ads. Geico. etc.

mitzi

If I may ...

That is true. They actively participate in the current affairs of Southern Maryland. Now if they could just find someone for 97.7 to kinda do the same. Take play requests. Talk about interesting stuff. Give people a reason to listen. But nope. The owners are chasing the money down the rabbit hole by hoping for higher returns via automation and outsourcing giving the locals nothing but generic mundane chatter with a programed play list set to shuffle. Is it any wonder that there really isn't any local business advertisers on 97.7? Most all are national or regional corporate ads. Geico. etc.

I've noticed that too, no local ads. I have no idea what 98 Star is like other than the morning show I listen to occasionally in the car. Same with WKIK, I only listened sometimes to Frank Dawson. He was always out and about in the community too. Are there actual live DJs on any of these stations other than in the morning?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Are there actual live DJs on any of these stations other than in the morning?
Not that I know of. I'm thinking that the station owners are just waiting for that too good to refuse buyout offer.

The principles of SOMAR Communications, Inc: Roy E. Robertson, Jr. and Sharon Robertson are husband and wife. Donald Smolinksi and Mary Smolinski are husband and wife. (note: Roy Robertson's stock interest in SOMAR is 50.65 percent and Sharon Robertson's stock interest is .385 percent. Donald Smolinski's stock interest in SOMAR is 48.58 percent and Mary Smolinski's stock interest is .385 percent.

So look them up if anyone wants. Tell them to get their collective acts together and bring good radio back to Southern Maryland.

BOP

I've pretty much given up on any radio. Broadcast options are pretty thin down here, and even Pandora starts playing the same songs over and over after a while.
Yeah, well, news flash: even XM tends to play the same sets over and over, although they do change things up. The DJs tend to have their favorite singers/groups/bands and that's what you hear a lot of. You can find anything on youtube, but youtube's algorithythms tend to think that if you listened to "California Dreaming" 14 years ago, right after something by James Taylor, that's the lineup you still want to hear. In exactly that order.

Goldenhawk

The DJs tend to have their favorite singers/groups/bands and that's what you hear a lot of.
Do you actually think they still use DJs to pick the songs? Nope, at least not above the small local station. My brother worked in radio for a long, long time, in particular a satellite-radio company (not XM or Sirius, but a smaller one). The playlists are pretty much driven 100% by computer, based on song popularity ("this song is at #5 on the charts, so it gets played 2 times per hour; this song is at #48 so it gets played 4 times per day...", etc...). If you think you're hearing a pattern, you're absolutely right.

BOP

Do you actually think they still use DJs to pick the songs? Nope, at least not above the small local station. My brother worked in radio for a long, long time, in particular a satellite-radio company (not XM or Sirius, but a smaller one). The playlists are pretty much driven 100% by computer, based on song popularity ("this song is at #5 on the charts, so it gets played 2 times per hour; this song is at #48 so it gets played 4 times per day...", etc...). If you think you're hearing a pattern, you're absolutely right.
I can't tell you whether XM does that or not during the actual hosted shows (mainly Outlaw Country), but I'm sure of it during the off hours.

mitzi

If I may ...

Not that I know of. I'm thinking that the station owners are just waiting for that too good to refuse buyout offer.

The principles of SOMAR Communications, Inc: Roy E. Robertson, Jr. and Sharon Robertson are husband and wife. Donald Smolinksi and Mary Smolinski are husband and wife. (note: Roy Robertson's stock interest in SOMAR is 50.65 percent and Sharon Robertson's stock interest is .385 percent. Donald Smolinski's stock interest in SOMAR is 48.58 percent and Mary Smolinski's stock interest is .385 percent.

So look them up if anyone wants. Tell them to get their collective acts together and bring good radio back to Southern Maryland.

I worked in one of Smolinski's business' for awhile.

mitzi

If I may ...

Maybe you could bend her ear a bit, for the cause? What kind of other business does she have?

I haven't seen him in over 10 years and rarely saw him when I worked at one of his business'. I didn't have much interaction with him but he seemed to be a good, honest man. He has A LOT of business' in the area (or he did, I imagine still does). I was always impressed that he didn't plaster his name on it all and left it the name the previous owner had. What I can remember was Harley Davidson in Hughesville, all the Bargain Barns/Warehouse area in Hughesville, Guy Motors, Laurel Grove diner building and property, a catering service, rental properties and I think a small car dealership in Prince Frederick. I'm sure there's a lot more than I knew about. I guess it's okay to say these things on here, it's all good stuff :)