97.7 The Rocket is no more

BOP

Listen to Sirius/XM or occasional CD for driving. Mostly youtube at home, sometimes XM or whatever CDs I have on my computer, or Pandora (free). Haven't listened to commercial radio in over 3 years.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
My grandfather was the station manager when 97.7 WMDM was created.

Who knows what WMDM stands for?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Was it the Bee Gees Staying Alive? I heard that last evening around 7:15.

I don't remember, favorite part of the disco era was a Funeral for Disco I went to in the summer of 78.
Bands were AC/DC. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Saxon and Samson.

mitzi

Heard some disco today on the ride back home from Lowe's after work.

LOL I heard it too. I think it was the disco version of I Never Can Say Goodbye. No clue who sang it, never could stand it. I'm listening out of curiosity of what they'll play next while I clean. They're throwing in a few Christmas songs here and there. This actually reminds me of 70s/early 80s radio when they would play a little of everything. I have to admit, it is a nice change hearing stuff I haven't heard in ages (whether it's a song I like or not).

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Saw the thread and had to give it a listen. Currently Cheap Trick IWYTWM is playing. I don't have any idea who the last "artist" was, but I doubt it ever made anyone's Top 40 list.

mitzi

"The Rocket" was NEVER 'Classic Rock'

It was OLDIES Rock. Period! Never played anything made in the last 30 years! THAT is why people were bytching!

From Wiki

Classic rock is a radio format which developed from the album-oriented rock (AOR) format in the early 1980s. In the United States, the classic rock format features music ranging generally from the mid-1960s to the late 1980s, primarily focusing on commercially successful hard rock popularized in the 1970s.[1] The radio format became increasingly popular with the baby boomer demographic by the end of the 1990s.[2]