97.7 The Rocket is no more

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
From Wiki

Classic rock is a radio format which developed from the album-oriented rock (AOR) format in the early 1980s. In the United States, the classic rock format features music ranging generally from the mid-1960s to the late 1980s, primarily focusing on commercially successful hard rock popularized in the 1970s.[1] The radio format became increasingly popular with the baby boomer demographic by the end of the 1990s.[2]

Hmmm, late 1980s. That's what, 30 years ago? Sometimes math is beautiful.

mitzi

Hmmm, late 1980s. That's what, 30 years ago? Sometimes math is beautiful.

The article says classic rock is mid 60s to the 80s. The other poster says this time frame is oldies rock. 30 years or older is classic rock not oldies rock. Math is beautiful.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I thought I heard them call it The Bay today.

In other radio news, Heather and T-Bone were asking people who commute up the road to support the 98.3 petition to keep a station off their frequency.
They are afraid the station will knock old 98.3 off the air up on their northern end.

Advice to the owner, you should petition the FCC to allow you to boost your signal. But wait, that might coast money and force an upgrade to the antique market you call a radio station.

mitzi

I thought I heard them call it The Bay today.

In other radio news, Heather and T-Bone were asking people who commute up the road to support the 98.3 petition to keep a station off their frequency.
They are afraid the station will knock old 98.3 off the air up on their northern end.

Advice to the owner, you should petition the FCC to allow you to boost your signal. But wait, that might coast money and force an upgrade to the antique market you call a radio station.

I read that. I didn't realize it could even be picked up in the areas they mentioned. I always lose it past Hughesville.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Don't know why they are worried about up north. We can't get good 98.3 signal in the south end of of their own damn county. Tall Timbers/Piney Point must be in a null in the antenna pattern.

BernieP

Resident PIA
QUOTE=stgislander;5954065]Don't know why they are worried about up north. We can't get good 98.3 signal in the south end of of their own damn county. Tall Timbers/Piney Point must be in a null in the antenna pattern.[/QUOTE]

Not sure where 98.3 has their antenna. But I do know that there is a ridge that does do some line of sight masking. UAVs launched from Webster field went Lost Comms with Pax because of it.
Plus Webster field across the river could have emitters that are interfering with the signal.
Usually FM is omni and the cone of silence is typical very close to the antenna.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Not sure where 98.3 has their antenna. But I do know that there is a ridge that does do some line of sight masking. UAVs launched from Webster field went Lost Comms with Pax because of it.
Plus Webster field across the river could have emitters that are interfering with the signal.
Usually FM is omni and the cone of silence is typical very close to the antenna.

Could be, but it doesn't hurt the classical station from VA's Eastern Shore that shares the same frequency.

MiddleGround

The article says classic rock is mid 60s to the 80s. The other poster says this time frame is oldies rock. 30 years or older is classic rock not oldies rock. Math is beautiful.

So you think 30-50 year old music should be considered "classic" rock?? The primary audience when some of this music was released are close to 70 years old!! Thats not classic... thats old.

Neither here nor there anyways.. obviously they weren't listening to the local public because they are gone. Maybe if they played music made after 'Appetite for Destruction' they would still be here.. generating revenue.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
So you think 30-50 year old music should be considered "classic" rock?? The primary audience when some of this music was released are close to 70 years old!! Thats not classic... thats old.

Neither here nor there anyways.. obviously they weren't listening to the local public because they are gone. Maybe if they played music made after 'Appetite for Destruction' they would still be here.. generating revenue.

Tell that to Keith Richards.

PeoplesElbow

"The Rocket" was NEVER 'Classic Rock'

It was OLDIES Rock. Period! Never played anything made in the last 30 years! THAT is why people were bytching!

Classic rock is a genre not a time frame.

Oldies is typical of music from the 50's, Little Richard, Donovan, Bill Halley and the Comets, etc. Classic rock evolved from oldies rock, it is stuff like Kansas, Joe Cocker, Bruce Springsteen. There is an obvious difference in the music there.

Just like Mid-century modern will always be a style, when 2050 rolls around it will not change to what is popular then.

MiddleGround

I'm not arguing what it is labeled. I am just saying that the music they played was stale and repetative. From the information I have heard, the station owner didn't want to play anything 'newer' than that. I guess he thought it was only for his own listening pleasure.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Oldies is typical of music from the 50's, Little Richard, Donovan, Bill Halley and the Comets, etc. Classic rock evolved from oldies rock, it is stuff like Kansas, Joe Cocker, Bruce Springsteen. There is an obvious difference in the music there.

Just like Mid-century modern will always be a style, when 2050 rolls around it will not change to what is popular then.
:yeahthat:
I'm not arguing what it is labeled. I am just saying that the music they played was stale and repetative. From the information I have heard, the station owner didn't want to play anything 'newer' than that. I guess he thought it was only for his own listening pleasure.
It has always been that way. My guess is you are late 20s/early 30s?

PeoplesElbow

What has always been that way? The owner only plays what they like? Or, that the music was stale and repetative?

Either way, THAT is the reason it has changed formats so many times.

The owners of southern maryland radio are absentee owners, its an almost automated, neglected business.

I just thought we were lucky to not have yet another country station.