Any Historians out there???

droptine

Found an old grave site from the 1700's and looked up the name on it. It is William Eilbeck, looks like his duagther married George Masson the 4th. The tombstone is dated 1765. Dosent seem like anyone goes to them, they are in the middle of the woods and old....Any ideas

MoochCat

Mooch Cat
droptine said:
Found an old grave site from the 1700's and looked up the name on it. It is William Eilbeck, looks like his duagther married George Masson the 4th. The tombstone is dated 1765. Dosent seem like anyone goes to them, they are in the middle of the woods and old....Any ideas

Just a thought..contact the county historical society and see if they have info..
Cool find!!

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
William Eilbeck

In 1725 he left England for Virginia as a Tobacco agent for Peter Howe and John Aderton. Eilbeck married Sarah Edgar of Prince George's County, Maryland in 1730. In 1734 he purchased 182 acres on Mattawoman Creek and within a few years had added considerable acreage to his land holdings. Their home here they called Mattawoman; today we know it as Araby.

droptine said:
Don't tell anyone.

mainman

Set Trippin
droptine said:
Talk to Ken King, he may have dug the grave...:yay:

Charles

This is getting interesting. I would think the Historical Society or something would like to know about the gravesite.

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
No it is fasinacting
Do you realize how many descendants of slaves do not know their roots cause it was NOT documented?
It may not be a perfect history but it is history.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
river rat said:
It may not be a perfect history but it is history.
:yeahthat:

I'm looking at it from an analytical historical perspective. Sure, you can get wrapped up in the badness of slavery and so forth, but that is not the point of studying these documents.

In fact, I was going to mention the slaves. Their graves may very well be located near the owner's family site. I have two friends that used to live in the 'Hard Bargain' house in Charles Co. and they found both the old family cemetery and slave cemetery in the same section of woods.

Richard Cranium

Great, that's all we need. Someone to find out their great-great-great-great-great grandpappy was a slave buried on someone's land. So 20th generation Jamiquickookee can sue whoever for reparations.

Real cute.