"hose washing" cars

Claff

So we've lived in this rental community for almost five years now. Earlier this year, the place changed management companies and a whole new crew was brought in. Our unit is right across from the leasing office.

Our lease forbids "hose washing" of cars. I can live with this especially since it's near impossible to run a hose out to where the cars are parked. When I wash cars, which I do a lot when the weather is nice, I use a pair of buckets and sponges and stuff. Not ideal but it gets the job done.

Today, after the thunderstorms and stuff got over with, it was a beautiful late afternoon. I dragged the buckets and sponges out and cleaned up the yellow car. Then I started going around the car with the goof-off dabbing away the dead bugs and other crap that the tree it's parked under does to it.

As I'm winding up that part of the job someone from the leasing office walks over and says "great job, but you can't do that". Do what? She said the lease prohibits washing and waxing cars. This turned into a conversation that went around and around and around and around for about ten minutes about what is so bad about washing cars in the first place. She says that if I do it, other people will do it and it'll lead to people who don't live here bringing their cars here to wash their cars. The perplexed look never left my face.

I mean we've got problems here with people driving through the residential areas way too fast, with music way too loud, and kids with nothing better to do than hang around in the middle of the street just being stupid kids talking too loud and making sure everyone around knows exactly what a pain in the neck they can be. And now People Are Washing Their Cars!

I argued that washing cars is good for a community. It gets people out of their houses, interacting with their neighbors, watching what's going on outside, and people visiting can see that the people who live here take some pride in the stuff that they have.

No go. She said the lease prohibits it, and I didn't know the exact wording to counter her. So she went back in the office and I went to the filing cabinet to get the lease. And there, in black and pink, it says in the Resident Agrees Not To section

20. AUTOMOBILES: Hose wash automobiles.

Now I'd like to think I'm a reasonable person who can understand basic English, and that the lease includes the word "hose" means that they don't want people using hoses to wash their cars. Which means that washing by other means, like using a couple buckets, is OK. And waxing (which isn't even considered washing) is completely wide open.

So I took the lease to the office and put it on the desk in front of the chick and said "if you catch me using a hose, do your worst". She counters by saying that it all depends on how it's interpreted. It's three words, and one of them (hose) is so specific that it leads me, and any reasonable person, to assume that washing by any means that does not involve a hose is acceptable.

I'm not looking for a battle, I'm looking to have clean cars. Not sure where it goes from here... either they're going to have to let me wash and wax, or redo the lease paperwork. But if they're going to use the existing wording to keep me from washing and waxing, I'm not going to be very happy.

princess73

just one of those days...
That sucks. Does the owner of the rental property also own a car wash up the street that they are trying to get more business for?

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
The housing market has softened. Why don't you buy a house with a garage?? You'd spend alot more time outside cleaning your rides, but then pull them in the garage so they stay clean. Waxing is easier in a shaded place any way. :yay: :yay:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
In regards to this story see my sig line, would be nice to be able to just smack the S out people for this kind of stuff. I agree, egg her car and see if she breaks out a hose.

smoothmarine187

Claff said:
She says that if I do it, other people will do it and it'll lead to people who don't live here bringing their cars here to wash their cars. The perplexed look never left my face.

I would have just laughed in her face and walked into my house at this point. I know I would just drive my car into some random community and start washing it...... :lmao:

"Someone" from the leasing office? Who is the actual person in charge of the property? That is who I would seek out.

General Lee

Claff -

Another excellent way to wash your vehicle with out a hose is to use Optimum No Rinse. http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html This stuff is excellent. I detail cars in my spare time and I would not recommend this stuff if I thought it wasn't worth it.

It is safe to use and will not scratch the vehicle if used correctly. Its great for cold weather use also because you can fill your buckets with warm water and wash away. It has multiple uses, you can mix some up and use it in a sprayer as a pre soak, and as a quick detailer. Now if your car is full of mud I wouldn't use it, but it works great on on substantially dirty vehicles. I've used it on salt covered cars over the winter with beautiful results.

I'm not your typical wash and wax detailer, that washes and just throws wax on a car. I do paint correction (getting rid of swirls and scratches, etc) and pay attention to the "details". Any questions just ask.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Claff said:
So we've lived in this rental community for almost five years now. Earlier this year, the place changed management companies and a whole new crew was brought in. Our unit is right across from the leasing office.

Our lease forbids "hose washing" of cars. I can live with this especially since it's near impossible to run a hose out to where the cars are parked. When I wash cars, which I do a lot when the weather is nice, I use a pair of buckets and sponges and stuff. Not ideal but it gets the job done.

Today, after the thunderstorms and stuff got over with, it was a beautiful late afternoon. I dragged the buckets and sponges out and cleaned up the yellow car. Then I started going around the car with the goof-off dabbing away the dead bugs and other crap that the tree it's parked under does to it.

As I'm winding up that part of the job someone from the leasing office walks over and says "great job, but you can't do that". Do what? She said the lease prohibits washing and waxing cars. This turned into a conversation that went around and around and around and around for about ten minutes about what is so bad about washing cars in the first place. She says that if I do it, other people will do it and it'll lead to people who don't live here bringing their cars here to wash their cars. The perplexed look never left my face.

I mean we've got problems here with people driving through the residential areas way too fast, with music way too loud, and kids with nothing better to do than hang around in the middle of the street just being stupid kids talking too loud and making sure everyone around knows exactly what a pain in the neck they can be. And now People Are Washing Their Cars!

I argued that washing cars is good for a community. It gets people out of their houses, interacting with their neighbors, watching what's going on outside, and people visiting can see that the people who live here take some pride in the stuff that they have.

No go. She said the lease prohibits it, and I didn't know the exact wording to counter her. So she went back in the office and I went to the filing cabinet to get the lease. And there, in black and pink, it says in the Resident Agrees Not To section

20. AUTOMOBILES: Hose wash automobiles.

Now I'd like to think I'm a reasonable person who can understand basic English, and that the lease includes the word "hose" means that they don't want people using hoses to wash their cars. Which means that washing by other means, like using a couple buckets, is OK. And waxing (which isn't even considered washing) is completely wide open.

So I took the lease to the office and put it on the desk in front of the chick and said "if you catch me using a hose, do your worst". She counters by saying that it all depends on how it's interpreted. It's three words, and one of them (hose) is so specific that it leads me, and any reasonable person, to assume that washing by any means that does not involve a hose is acceptable.

I'm not looking for a battle, I'm looking to have clean cars. Not sure where it goes from here... either they're going to have to let me wash and wax, or redo the lease paperwork. But if they're going to use the existing wording to keep me from washing and waxing, I'm not going to be very happy.

If your lease says nothing else about cars except for, "20. AUTOMOBILES: Hose wash automobiles." then I'd say you're in the right here as long as you don't use a hose. If they don't want car washing going on at all, they should have said that.

bohman

It is absolutely mind-blowing to think that any rental agreement would encourage residents to leave things dirty instead of cleaning them. I say, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em - start leaving your car up on blocks and really get into the spirit of things! Or better yet, get a 4x4, drive it through as much mud as possible, and park in front of the lease office. "gee I wish I had a hose to clean that off"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I assume they don't want hose washing because people let the water run and it floods everything, not to mention the water bill. I don't see why hand washing should be a problem, though.

I always take my car to the carwash. They have a lot more space to work in than I do anyway.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Hose wash says it all very clearly. Good for you following the terms and carrying water in buckets! :yay:

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
vraiblonde said:
I assume they don't want hose washing because people let the water run and it floods everything, not to mention the water bill. I don't see why hand washing should be a problem, though.

I always take my car to the carwash. They have a lot more space to work in than I do anyway.

He mentioned waxing. Carwashes don't like it when you sit there and tie up the booths drying and waxing your car. You could always drive home and finish there, but who wants to seal road grime into their paint with was :shrug:

The girl in the office needs to be sent back to school. People shouldn't be graduating without reading comprehension skills.

basher

LEET
mv_princess said:
This sounds like the Green's Complex. They have a bunch of sticks up their asses.

I live at The Greens, they allow washing your car there, but they have a designated area with a hose you can use.