A $12 Minimum Wage in Retail?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
A $12 Minimum Wage in Retail?
A lefty organization tries to repeal supply and demand.

Last week, just in time for the start of what yours truly and the vast majority of Americans call the “Christmas shopping season” — but which the press in virtual lockstep tags as the “holiday shopping season” — a policy analyst at a leftist think tank seriously proposed that all retailers voluntarily raise their employees’ minimum wage to $12.01 per hour, or $25,000 per year for those who work a forty-hour week year-round.

The study (“Retail’s Hidden Potential: How Raising Wages Would Benefit Workers, the Industry and the Overall Economy”; full PDF here) came from Demos, whose nice-sounding goal is to “make equality and democracy more than just ideals.”

Though it is often characterized as “non-partisan,” it boasts of “a partnership” with the openly liberal but really far-left American Prospect. Catherine Ruetschlin, the study’s author, appears to have had some possibly scrubbed involvement with Occupy Wall Street, and to have been a leader of an unsuccessful 2008-2009 effort aimed at “ridding the New School from the tyranny of Bob Kerrey.” Kerrey, the former Democratic U.S. senator, headed that New York City university for a decade before leaving when his second five-year term ended in January 2011.

According to her Demos bio, Ruetschlin “is currently completing a Ph.D. in Economics at The New School.” Before she receives that doctorate, she should be required to retake Econ 101, especially those pesky sections dealing with the profit motive and the law of supply and demand.

frogman123

Minimum wage was $5.15 when I started working at 15. But in reality, no one can live on that. It gets to the old arguement where it makes more sense to not work.

jetmonkey

Minimum wage was $5.15 when I started working at 15. But in reality, no one can live on that. It gets to the old arguement where it makes more sense to not work.

Or to acquire some marketable skills so you can increase your earning potential :yay:

SamSpade

Or to acquire some marketable skills so you can increase your earning potential :yay:

And that is the way I understand minimum wage to work. If you have the desire to get ahead in life, you can start there but you don't STAY there.

It's ridiculous to think that the lowest allowable wage should still be enough for you to provide for yourself and family.

BOP

It was $1.60 when I started working a "real" job. I had jobs before that - construction cleanup, field work, and so on, but that was my first no-kidding job. I actually got a raise to $1.65 an hour. Big stuff for a 15 year old!

Here were my alternatives, living on my own: work hard, become more valuable to my employer, make more money, or commit crimes.

I wasn't raised to commit crimes.

Soon after, I went into the Navy, where I earned the princely sum of $307.00 a month (gross).

Last edited:

BOP

And that is the way I understand minimum wage to work. If you have the desire to get ahead in life, you can start there but you don't STAY there.

It's ridiculous to think that the lowest allowable wage should still be enough for you to provide for yourself and family.

Racist! You hate poor people!