A Bassoon?

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Oldest grandson, first day of school, joins band. Never played a musical instrument in his life. Looks at the book (?!!?), picks a bassoon as the instrument he wants to learn to play.

WHY do teachers allow this without parents around?!?!?

Now that you've stopped laughing, anyone got an extra bassoon lying around they'd like to rent to a kid?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Be thankful it wasn't the tuba or sousaphone! :lol:

There used to be musical instrument rental shops around here, but I have no idea if they still exist. :sshrug:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
.....for a kid who might play for half a year......

Then again, when he gets his mind set on something, it lasts.
Be thankful I didn't link the other one, which was over $6k!

I understand that. My sister was hell bent on playing the flute. I wanted to learn the clarinet when I was old enough. When I was, she had dropped it and that was now my only option. Guess who learned to play the flute? :ohwell:

my-thyme

Patron
Once again, tone down the laughter.

First day of school.

And he's been dressing like this for over a year. He is a one-of-a-kind, love him!

stgislander

PREMO Member
Maybe have him start with an oboe instead. It's also a double reed instrument, and best of all it sounds Egyptian.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Oldest grandson, first day of school, joins band. Never played a musical instrument in his life. Looks at the book (?!!?), picks a bassoon as the instrument he wants to learn to play.

WHY do teachers allow this without parents around?!?!?

Now that you've stopped laughing, anyone got an extra bassoon lying around they'd like to rent to a kid?
Bassoon isn't a bad choice.

When my oldest daughter picked an instrument she picked French Horn.. the only person to pick it, because of cost.

While others (sax players) had lessons with 5 - 10 people in the room with the music teacher, she had "private" lessons.

Bassoon isn't a normal, everyday instrument, but one every orchestra needs. Think SCHOLARSHIPS!!

my-thyme

Patron

When my oldest daughter picked an instrument she picked French Horn.. the only person to pick it, because of cost.

While others (sax players) had lessons with 5 - 10 people in the room with the music teacher, she had "private" lessons.

Bassoon isn't a normal, everyday instrument, but one every orchestra needs. Think SCHOLARSHIPS!!
And THAT is one of the reasons my son is even continuing to consider this instrument. The teacher put this bug in dad's ear, and grandson is gonna go with that for a while.

Grumpy

Actually, this is my oldest son's child.

My youngest has that hair, he keeps his cropped close. I believe this boy will always wear it wild. ANYTHING to be different from the crowd.
Have a 22 yr old grandson that has that 'anything to be different' gene.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Actually, this is my oldest son's child.

My youngest has that hair, he keeps his cropped close. I believe this boy will always wear it wild. ANYTHING to be different from the crowd.
How about Napoleon Dynamite?

itsbob

I bowl overhand

All I can hear and see is Bender.. I'm trying out for a scholarship!!

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Ever been hit with a Bassoon???
In our Italian/Irish neighborhood, bassoons were referenced when mentioning an early developing female's ample body parts. Come to think of it, there were quite a few names for them.

So my answer would be Yes.