A Bassoon?

PeoplesElbow

Bassoon isn't a normal, everyday instrument, but one every orchestra needs. Think SCHOLARSHIPS!!

Bingo, something like a trumpet, they have to be really really good. Something like the bassoon, oboe, english horn etc they only have to be able to play the simplest stuff. My friend started playing bassoon in the fall to make all state band and did. He was a very good trombone player and could not make the cut with the ole boner.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Oldest grandson, first day of school, joins band. Never played a musical instrument in his life. Looks at the book (?!!?), picks a bassoon as the instrument he wants to learn to play.

WHY do teachers allow this without parents around?!?!?

Now that you've stopped laughing, anyone got an extra bassoon lying around they'd like to rent to a kid?
How about eBay? OR, if you go to a local music store they may have used intruments you can purchase. Good Luck!

Thing2 started out playing the violin because friends of ours had 5 kids and a collection of musical instruments to choose from! He was quite talented. (He didn't get that from me - I can't read 1 note of music or play any instrument. I sing) Then, after 2 years of playing the violin, he came home from the end of elementary school and announced he was done with the violin and wanted to play the trumpet. :ohwell:

Our friends also had a cornet that he played the first year of middle school. (I wasn't running out to buy anything!) I went up to Sacchetti's music store in Huntingtown (I think that's where it is) and I bought him a used trumpet for $400.00. He used it until the end of 9th grade when he gave up band for NJROTC.

luvmygdaughters

When my Granddaughter was in 5th grade, she chose a damn cello of all things. It was twice as tall as she was, her mother would have to go in late on band days so she didnt have to kill someone or herself dragging, that thing on the bus. To her credit, she played it the entire middle school years.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
When my Granddaughter was in 5th grade, she chose a damn cello of all things. It was twice as tall as she was, her mother would have to go in late on band days so she didnt have to kill someone or herself dragging, that thing on the bus. To her credit, she played it the entire middle school years.
My sister also played the cello. I was the clarinet player in the family. Brother was on drums.