A bit of cat observation...

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I answered this question on the Quora website: My cat is 21 years old. About 2 years ago he started walking around the house meowing as loudly as he can. It is disturbing at 2AM. If I yell at him, he will give a soft mew, and stop. Any ideas?

From my observations over a lifetime of being owned by cats, framed this: I think kitty is getting a bit senile and is not sure where he is, until he knows where you are. He’s looking for reassurance he is safe, and Home.

Both of the Siamese boys (Tiger and Fonzie) my in-laws had made it to 23 years. Tiger was older by 9 months. Toward the end they both exhibited that same behavior.

Two of the girl cats my wife and I have had, both regular moggies, made to a little over 21. Neither Calamity Jane Grey nor Miss Teia Honey did.

Like with people, it depends on the individual.

I think with the girls, they were mentoring younger cats we had adopted.

When Calamity’s sister Queen Victoria and friend Cerridwen passed within a couple months of each other, we adopted 3 girl kittens over the course of the next year and a half. Calamity adopted them as if they were her own kittens. Calamity and her sister were 17 1/2 when Victoria died of a heart attack in her sleep. Cerridwen died from kidney failure a couple months before.

Those three came to be Teia’s housemates after Calamity passed on. Kestrel, Hildiekatt and Chesapeake were younger, but had congenital conditions, which became fatal, leaving Teia alone.

After a few months, we adopted 2 boy kittens, Cooper and Buff. Teia adopted them within weeks. She was 17 years their elder

For the girls, they had a supporting society of other cats to keep them engaged.

Tiger and Fonzie only had each other. Tiger was the elder and passed first. The uncertainty was much more for Fonzie, as his society was gone.

Louise

My first kitty was a dumped calico kitten I found in a tree in my front yard in NOLA when I was 10. That was 57 years ago.I named her Kitty. She died at 21, 3 months before the birth of my first child. Have had many kitties since. All adopted. Such wonderful, smart, and fun creatures!😻

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My first kitty was a dumped calico kitten I found in a tree in my front yard in NOLA when I was 10. I named her Kitty. She died at 21, 3 months before the birth of my first child. Have had many kitties since. All adopted. Such wonderful, smart, and fun creatures!😻
It still seems like not enough time, doesn't it?

The 13 cats my Mrs. and I have had together (including the current 3) have all been unique little furry persons.

Louise

It still seems like not enough time, doesn't it?

The 13 catse my Mrs. and I have had together (including the current 3) have all been unique little furry persons.I
Yes. It is never enough time. I forgot to say that our current kitty is feral. She just showed up. We named her Lucky.I am trying to post a pic but saying too large. I am not a techy. LOL She is one smart kitty. She knew where the cat people live!

Last edited: