A Bleak Outlook for Trump’s Promises to Coal Miners

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" Donald J. Trump made coal a centerpiece of his campaign, holding rousing rallies with miners in hard hats, who he said had been neglected under eight years of the Obama administration. The strategy paid off, helping him score crucial wins in Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Now, though, coal may prove a different sort of symbol — that is, of the challenges that the president-elect will face delivering on his many promises to restore struggling sectors of the American economy.

The United States coal industry and the jobs that support it have been in decline for decades as a result of environmental concerns, automation in mining and slowdowns in manufacturing industries that burned coal for power.

And these days, no matter who is president, coal is at the mercy of market economics. Coal’s No. 1 rival is cheap, cleaner-burning natural gas — which could become an even more potent competitor under the incoming administration. The probable easing of restrictions on pipeline building and loosening of rules on gas exploration and production would mean more natural gas reaching the market. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/business/energy-environment/a-bleak-outlook-for-trumps-promises-to-coal-miners.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=nytpolitics&smtyp=cur&_r=0

black dog

Free America
try to grasp this, Maryland has three coal burning power plants, Dickerson, Chalk Point and Morgantown. Now Chalk Point is the only plant that has a Natural Gas pipeline running to it, and the main reason for the gas pipeline is to feed the Natural Gas turbines that are on plant property. I believe Panda runs the gas turbines in Brandywine and at Chalk Point.
Morgantown and Dickerson can run on #2 , #6 fuel oil and Coal..
With the scrubbers that were installed a few years ago it's clean coal technology.

tommyjo

try to grasp this, Maryland has three coal burning power plants, Dickerson, Chalk Point and Morgantown. Now Chalk Point is the only plant that has a Natural Gas pipeline running to it, and the main reason for the gas pipeline is to feed the Natural Gas turbines that are on plant property. I believe Panda runs the gas turbines in Brandywine and at Chalk Point.
Morgantown and Dickerson can run on #2 , #6 fuel oil and Coal..
With the scrubbers that were installed a few years ago it's clean coal technology.

Your points make no sense. Did you bother to read the post?

Coal is losing to cheaper natural gas.

black dog

Free America
Your points make no sense. Did you bother to read the post?

Coal is losing to cheaper natural gas.

Then I'll make it simple for you,. There is no natural gas pipelines to two of Maryland's power plants.. they can't run on fuel that's not there.
Is that simple enough for you to understand?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Then I'll make it simple for you,. There is no natural gas pipelines to two of Maryland's power plants.. they can't run on fuel that's not there.
Is that simple enough for you to understand?

there is a Nat-Gas Run PP being built right off of Billingsly Rd .... I have been watching it go up for 18 months

black dog

Free America
there is a Nat-Gas Run PP being built right off of Billingsly Rd .... I have been watching it go up for 18 months

Yep.. the gas line was run for that plant from Calvert NG storage to Billingsley Rd about 7 or 8 years ago.
That turbine plant was put on hold for awhile.
The new plant on Billingsley will produce 725 mega watts.
Morgantown can produce 1477 mega watts.
Chalk Point can produce 2,647 mega watts.
I believe a few more gas turbines will have to be built to replace Chalk and Morgantown.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Yep.. the gas line was run for that plant from Calvert NG storage to Billingsley Rd about 7 or 8 years ago.

[I am not saying you are wrong on the gas line] .... I saw them laying gas line/pipe from 301 .....
I wasn't suggesting it was a replacement ..... probably just a plant for peak out out times ?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
So in short... Current administration and the EPA have made coal too expensive to be a viable source of energy? What they actually intended to do, and take pride in that success?

And thanks to the current admin and the EPA our coal miners will continue to be out of work?

Is that what you've meant to say?

black dog

Free America
[I am not saying you are wrong on the gas line] .... I saw them laying gas line/pipe from 301 .....
I wasn't suggesting it was a replacement ..... probably just a plant for peak out out times ?

I do know that's the main reason for the gas line coming from Calvert was the turbine plant. I would assume that it would tie into Waldorf's NG network as a added plus.
I worked in and around all three coal burners in Md for a few years, and the only time i saw the gas turbines at Chalk run were during heavy demand times.
I dont know about the Panda plant in Waldorf.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I do know that's the main reason for the gas line coming from Calvert was the turbine plant. I would assume that it would tie into Waldorf's NG network as a added plus.

makes sense ... the line construction stopped @ 301 and Blingsly Rd

I worked in and around all three coal burners in Md for a few years, and the only time i saw the gas turbines at Chalk run were during heavy demand times.
I dont know about the Panda plant in Waldorf.

:yay:

Sidebar .....

My Cousins husband figures he was going to be out of a JOB if Hillary got elected - they live in Central PA, and he has worked at a Coal Fired Plant for 20 yrs ....

Project Details

Type of Facility: Highly-efficient, combined-cycle (2-on-1) natural gas electric generating station

Location: In Charles County, MD, on land zoned for industrial use, previously permitted for a power plant, between high-voltage transmission lines and next to a landfill and an asphalt plant

Capacity: Generating capacity of 725 MW, enough to power 700,000 homes
Facility On-Line: 2015/2016

Fuel: Natural Gas supplied by Dominion from either their Cove Point LNG terminal or their existing pipeline

Electrical Interconnection: The project site is adjacent to Pepco’s ROW containing four (Morgantown/Hawkins Gate to Talbert/Oakgrove) 230 kV circuits. CPV St. Charles requested interconnection to two of these four lines (23084 and 23086).

Cost: More than $500 million of private investment

[apparently there is going to be a 990 MW PANDA Plant in Brandywine MD - if the Enviros don't block it 1st]

black dog

Free America
makes sense ... the line construction stopped @ 301 and Blingsly Rd

:yay:

Sidebar .....

My Cousins husband figures he was going to be out of a JOB if Hillary got elected - they live in Central PA, and he has worked at a Coal Fired Plant for 20 yrs ....

[apparently there is going to be a 990 MW PANDA Plant in Brandywine MD - if the Enviros don't block it 1st]

Yep.. looks like it's going to be off Keys rd, the old gravel pit that's now a big lake.
Thanks.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Coal is not dead yet, close but not yet.

http://fuelfix.com/blog/2016/11/18/...s-natural-gas-as-dominant-winter-fuel-source/

Coal is expected to surpass natural gas as the most common source of electricity in December, January and February, according to an analysis released Friday by the U.S. Department of Energy. It’s a rebound for coal, which, after years as nation’s dominant power source, was surpassed by natural gas in until April 2015. For the six months of 2016, natural gas supplied 36 percent of the nation’s energy, as compared to the 31 percent supplied by coal.

But now steadily rising natural gas prices means it will be cheaper to generate electricity with coal, the department’s analysis predicts. While lower coal prices would encourage the power industry to rely more on coal, winter temperatures will also play a role. A colder winter, particularly in areas of the country that produce more coal, would increase the use of coal. But if winter temperatures are mild, natural gas prices would likely remain low, encouraging less coal use.

The Energy Department predicted in its October energy outlook that average natural gas prices would steadily rise in the coming months — by February prices are expected to be 40 percent higher than the price of coal-fueled electricity.

Last edited:

Hijinx

Coal is not dead yet, close but not yet.

Isn't it funny how prices rise when the object is given the proposal of a monopoly as opposed to having a competitor.

Prices 40% higher than coal will dampen the power companies interest in Natural gas.
If coal is still a viable substitute it may even slow the rise in Natural gas Prices.