A Day in the Life of WR #4762784

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
So… I wasn’t going to tell this story because, well, it is embarrassing and makes me look like a bad driver. :ohwell:

But, I digress.

I was at Sheetz the other day… :jameo: and for those of you that don’t know me, I have a crippling fear of gas stations. :frown: I always feel like I am in everyone’s way and I feel like I take too long pumping gas. :jameo:

I was at one of the pumps and it was raining its ASS OFF outside.

All the pumps were full so people were starting to line up behind other cars. Well… Some guy in a Smart Car decides to get behind me. :cds: At this point, I have only pumped $5.62 worth of gas but I just can’t stand the fact that I am inconveniencing someone and making them wait for the pump so I decide that’s enough gas for now…. I’ll just wait behind someone else at another pump and get gas there.

I wait for five minutes while a woman fills up her mini-van. :tap: THEN… It’s my turn. :yahoo: I pull up to the pump and start filling my tank with more gas. Until a guy in a HUGE JEEP pulls up behind me. :cds: I have only pumped $3.00 worth of gas at this point but, again, I just can’t make this guy wait. :bawl:

I get in the car completely frazzled, nervous, and upset that I have been at this gas station for 20 minutes and have only managed to get $8.62 worth of gas. :ohwell:

I’m all, “WHAT FRESH HELL IS THIS!!”:cds:

This is where the problem started.

In mid panic, I didn’t realize I put my car in reverse, not drive. :twitch: I noticed I was starting to go backward and panicked. But, instead of hitting the brake, I hit the ****ING ACCELERATOR and smashed into the raised Jeep. :jameo:

His vehicle wasn’t damaged at all because he had some sort of bar going across the front… but my car… my car is RUINED. :cds:

He gets out and tells me to stop crying and that it’s okay…:poorbaby: He even gave me a hug to calm me down. :ohwell: I was so relieved that he was not angry because this was a NIGHTMARE for me.:cds:

We exchange insurance information and I plan to leave now…. He calls me back over and asks me to dinner. :eyebrow: Apparently, I was full-on damsel-in-distress and some weird men find that attractive 😕

I politely decline and his mood shifts.

He walks away with, “Learn to ****ing drive, lady.”:mad:

Now my car is in the shop, I’m in a rental car, and I need gas. :bawl:

SOMEONE PLEASE JUST KILL ME NOW.:jameo:
:huggy:

( :( Dumb guy)

FED_UP

Well you are a good looking lady so no surprise he gave you a hug and tried the dinner thing. Too bad about the accident thing. So how do you get out of this thing of not making others wait behind you is the question? Have you always been that way, many people these days don't give a dam, they are going to get theres first know matter how long it takes.

Last edited:

Auntie Biache'

Dang. Sorry about your car, but even more sorry about your anxiety. Try to put it in perspective-We each have a turn at the pump, the cashier, the drive through window, the DMV, the whatever line you happen to fall into. Someone is ahead of you, so you patiently wait your turn. When it's your turn, the person behind you must wait for their turn. I used to get annoyed with people holding up lines (not suggesting this is what you were doing, because it was your turn), until I put it in perspective. At some point in our lives, we will all hold up the line, but it's our turn. I wish you the best of luck getting this under control.

afjess1989

Amount of F##Ks given, 0
"In mid panic, I didn’t realize I put my car in reverse, not drive"

When my grandmother was alive she thought her car was in reverse and drove right through a liquor store. She wasnt drunk lol but that day she gave up driving.

glhs837

Power with Control
I have a mild form of this, not at gas pumps, but in lines like grocery stores. I will take great effort to offload my cart and get my stuff bagged up and loaded ready to go as fast as possible. I abhor anyone having to wait for me while I do things. Even simple things like the wife holding out a glass for me to refill with ice or something. :)

NextJen

Raisin cane
I understand the anxiety to some degree. But I only ever feel kinda anxious at the shooting range. I hate when you finally get a spot and then you know others are standing there watching you and waiting for you to hurry up and get done. I feel like I can't relax, then of course that throws everything off. Wish I owned a big piece of property where I could not worry about others waiting for me to get finished.

Last edited:
I was a bit anxious with people behind me, and got frustrated at unreasonably slow people in front of me.

Since retiring, I've shed all those emotions. I don't get bent at folks in front of me, and people behind me can just wait like I did. It's a great feeling.

I also use the self-checkout lines when I can. That way the pressure isn't on you to get out of anyone's way, there will be other choices for them.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
When I first started driving, I use to think that the person behind me was getting impatient when I was trying to merge or find an opening in traffic after coming to a stop sign. The longer I waited, the more pressure I put on myself to get a move on. While it never caused an accident, looking back I probably took a few chances. I think Vrai would agree that now today I'm uber cautious when in the same situation.

Monello

PREMO Member
I understand the anxiesty to some degree. But I only ever feel kinda anxious at the shooting range. I hate when you finally get a spot and then you know others are standing there watching you and waiting for you to hurry up and get done. I feel like I can't relax, then of course that throws everything off. Wish I owned a big piece of property where I could not worry about others waiting for me to get finished.
This is why I try to go to the range during the week. A lot less people are there and I can take my sweet time.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I recommend professional help. If you can't handle a line at the gas station, maybe you shouldn't be on the road.
Seriously, if you have panic attacks in a parking lot, how do you freaking drive?
Are you one of those people who has a death grip on the steering wheel, stares straight ahead and won't drive above 30MPH regardless of the road?
Not being mean, but you are putting yourself and others at risk.

I am sympathetic, which is why I didn't say, Learn how to drive, you had a panic attack, you lost your composure over nothing.
That's serious if you are behind the wheel of a car.

I recommend professional help. If you can't handle a line at the gas station, maybe you shouldn't be on the road.
Seriously, if you have panic attacks in a parking lot, how do you freaking drive?
Are you one of those people who has a death grip on the steering wheel, stares straight ahead and won't drive above 30MPH regardless of the road?
Not being mean, but you are putting yourself and others at risk.

I am sympathetic, which is why I didn't say, Learn how to drive, you had a panic attack, you lost your composure over nothing.
That's serious if you are behind the wheel of a car.
Rest assured knowing I'm seeing both a Psychiatrist and a Clinical Psychologist. :yay:

It's not driving that scares me... it's inconveniencing other people that are behind me in line that sends me over the edge. :mad:

Monello

PREMO Member
Rifle, pistol or 3-iron?
I misplaced my 3 iron.

Preference is for an outdoor pistol range midweek. Found good places in Naples, FL, Panama City Beach, FL, San Antonio, TX. Last tent camping trip we shot at Green Ridge State Forest range but we had to slap together some targets.