"A heartwrenching piece of theatre...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Drudge....
http://www.variety.com/VR1117934920.html

Around the holidays, the biggest challenge for many theater companies is convincing audiences to care about yet another staging of "A Christmas Carol.

Yes, how BORING to bring a classic to the next generation of people who've never seen it.

This season in Atlanta, however, Actor's Express wants to stir up buzz about a less familiar property -- namely, a pedophile musical.

Uh, that should stir things up, yes, I can see that.

that follows the tortured story of Jerry, who develops a sexual relationship with his nephew while trying to stay friends with the boy's father.

Oh, how delightful! "Jerr, when you get done buggering the boy, would you be a sport and come over and help with the tree? I'll be your friend, bro!"

A delicate, often heart-wrenching piece of theater, the show, which preems Jan. 22 at the Express, never descends to shock-value tactics as it explores volatile terrain, and its lilting country songs give the characters emotionally vulnerable texture. Should it manage to attract a crowd, "Love Jerry" could very well leave them cheering.

How crass of me to presume you can't do a NAMBLA Christmas Charol WITHOUT being...shocking. Heart wrenching? Emotionally vulnerable? How about a monkey wrench in Jerry's lilting and vulnerable heart? I'll cheer that.

Note to Jerry: If you feel the need to 'develop' a sexual relationship with you brother or brother in laws son, YOUR nephew, just leave town. Go away. Blow your brains out. It's OK. We'll understand if you can't make it Christmas eve.

But how do you convince anyone to come sing along with a child abuser? It's a double-edged question

Oh, let us do ponder that one.

Not only can untested musicals be notoriously hard to launch, especially when the writer is an unknown, but pedophilia (not to mention incest to boot) has proven anathema to ticket buyers.

Imagine. How can 'Bone the Nephew under the Mistletoe be 'untested'? Ah! Anathema! Those darn, hard to get ticket buyers!

In "Love Jerry," there's no question what's going on, yet Gogerty refrains from demonizing the title character. She focuses instead on the entire family's attempt to comprehend what's happened.

Yes, I read that one three times. That's what it says.

initial poster concepts featuring a man putting candy in a child's hand were jettisoned as being too frank. Now the promos are more suggestive, featuring an eerie shadow of a man in a clown nose staring into a room. (The clown refers to a somewhat supernatural character who tempts Jerry.)

Oh, the depth! The feeling! Hey, go look for yourself. I didn't make this up; they did.

the show's themes may still leave many Atlantans nonplussed

Nonplussed. Oh well, if you're gonna make omlettes...

Minadakis says he and his local contemporaries remain committed to risk. He insists Atlanta's population "could be very turned on by challenging theater" as long as they keep getting the chance to see it.

Challenging theatre? Here folks, come deal with incestuous homosexual child molesting at the Holidays! It happened to SO many of us! Cheers!

Are we making it more difficult for ourselves than we could?" he asks. "Yeah. But as a theater community that's just emerging onto the national scene, it would be wretched for us to back down."

Yes, just like Jerry. It would be wretched of him, after feeling an urge to pork the neph to simply back down in some societal enforced moralistic guilt trip and refrain. Or seek help.

Go for it, Jerry! Slap dat azz!

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"We are kind of starting at zero with this one," she admits. "The challenge has been that when (you are) doing a musical about child abuse ... some people might think it's campy, but we also don't want to go too dark."

Okay....

You know, I get really tired of "free speech". And I get tired of Leftist freakazoids who, when I suggest that there's too much free speech going on, pretend that if the government can censor pedophile playwrights, that they will then come censor me for some reason.

These nuts should be locked up and tortured in a black site.

ylexot

Super Genius
vraiblonde said:
Okay....

You know, I get really tired of "free speech". And I get tired of Leftist freakazoids who, when I suggest that there's too much free speech going on, pretend that if the government can censor pedophile playwrights, that they will then come censor me for some reason.

These nuts should be locked up and tortured in a black site.
I always liked the saying, "just because you can say it doesn't mean that you should say it."

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
Did you read the Drudge Article about the Satanic X-mas display (he had it posted a few days ago). i'll see if i can find an article but c'mon. i'm not religious but i do have to say shocking people for just the he!! of it, and then complaining because people were shocked is just assinine.

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
Hah another a$$inine karma message

"A heartwrenching ... 12-20-2005 11:06 AM you are getting too close to green "

i guess counting isnt one of Her strong points, i dont think i'll be anywhere near green anytime soon

Toxick

Splat
Larry Gude said:
How crass of me to presume you can't do a NAMBLA Christmas Charol WITHOUT being...shocking. Heart wrenching? Emotionally vulnerable? How about a monkey wrench in Jerry's lilting and vulnerable heart? I'll cheer that.

The only thing I'll cheer is if the pervert uncle holds mistletoe over his hoo-hoo-dilly and gyrates near a kid.

...And then the parents throw the sick freak into a sack and bang a wrench on everything that's not flat.