A little on the Democrats

demsformd

There were a couple of editorials in the Washington Post today about Democratic presidential candidates John Kerry and John Edwards. Edwards writes himself about the matter of health insurance, tort reform, and the such while E.J. Dionne writes on the "patriotic populism" of Kerry. Here take a look.

Kerry

Edwards

B

Bruzilla

I think Kerry is wasting his breath. There's no way that a party that stands for abortion, gay/lesbian unions, legalizing drugs, defending violence on TV and in movies and music, repressing religion, and that has publically condoned extramarital sex, is ever going to be able to pass itself off as a party that represents family values. A party that took a very near-sighted view of the world and drug its feet about Iraq and Afghanistan isn't going to be able to pass itself off as being strong on defense. And lastly, while I agree 100% with the Dems on the Patriot Act, there are still thousands of soccer moms who think that Al Quaeda is sneaking around the goal nets waiting to launch an attack on Bobby and Britiany, so I don't see the Dems being able to pass themselves off as being tough on terrorism either.

Edwards's comments about cracking down on lawyers rings pretty hollow. He reminds me of bricks & mortar gun dealers coming out in support of gun control laws that would restrict or eliminate gun sales outside of established brick & mortar gun stores. These guys weren't interested in increasing public safety, they just wanted to see their competition put out of business. His plan wouldn't have much of an impact on major law firms who can really put on a show, but would really put the screws on small independent lawyers who don't have the dollars to put on a big case. In most cases, the only difference between a major case of malpractice and a nuisance suit is how good a show the lawyer puts on.

And as usual, Edwards is still trying to blame businesses for all of the country's problems. When is this clown ever going to learn that businesses are what keep people paying the bills and the taxes that will be needed to fund all of these entitlements he wants to give out? Talk about killing off the goose that lays the golden eggs.

willie

demseal.jpg

Last edited:

demsformd

Originally posted by Bruzilla
I think Kerry is wasting his breath. There's no way that a party that stands for abortion, gay/lesbian unions, legalizing drugs, defending violence on TV and in movies and music, repressing religion, and that has publically condoned extramarital sex, is ever going to be able to pass itself off as a party that represents family values. A party that took a very near-sighted view of the world and drug its feet about Iraq and Afghanistan isn't going to be able to pass itself off as being strong on defense. And lastly, while I agree 100% with the Dems on the Patriot Act, there are still thousands of soccer moms who think that Al Quaeda is sneaking around the goal nets waiting to launch an attack on Bobby and Britiany, so I don't see the Dems being able to pass themselves off as being tough on terrorism either.

Edwards's comments about cracking down on lawyers rings pretty hollow. He reminds me of bricks & mortar gun dealers coming out in support of gun control laws that would restrict or eliminate gun sales outside of established brick & mortar gun stores. These guys weren't interested in increasing public safety, they just wanted to see their competition put out of business. His plan wouldn't have much of an impact on major law firms who can really put on a show, but would really put the screws on small independent lawyers who don't have the dollars to put on a big case. In most cases, the only difference between a major case of malpractice and a nuisance suit is how good a show the lawyer puts on.

And as usual, Edwards is still trying to blame businesses for all of the country's problems. When is this clown ever going to learn that businesses are what keep people paying the bills and the taxes that will be needed to fund all of these entitlements he wants to give out? Talk about killing off the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Well, Bru, once again you are wrong and in a moment I will tell you why but I'm a little busy right now.

B

Bruzilla

Dems... I await your digital visit to the rear of the woodshed. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

B

Bruzilla

And still waiting..... Things must be busy in the ambulance chasing business. :biggrin:

demsformd

Sorry about the delay...I did not get home until 1 this morning after I was informed of a situation. But here we go.

The Democrats are not trying to cast themselves as the party that wishes to create a homogeneous system in which government dictates proper forms of personal expression, personal morals, and artistic creativity. Look, we are just like America...look at these candidates, they are all Christian and to our knowledge moral persons (but wait until we hear of some marital infidelities). We do not want violence in the movies or in song lyrics (after all Al Gore was the leader of the crusade to censor lyrics for songs in the 1980s). But we understand that this is America in which people choose whether they want to worship a god or not, whether they want to listen to offensive lyrics, watch violent movies, or whether they are homosexual or heterosexual.

Our party is more committed to homeland security and protecting our borders than the current administration, who merely talks the talk. For two years it has been hard to escape statements from President Bush, Secretary of State Colin Powell, and Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge that say things such as "we're gonna smoke them out of their holes and bring them to American justice." Yes, the administration has some great sound bites and they are great at scarring the people of this nation by saying that "we used to think that the oceans used to protect us." There have been some successes in the War on Terror and yes the terrorists are being defeated. But I am sorry people, the only way to win here is to completely erradicate the radical terrorists from this planet and President Bush is far from doing that. We are on orange alert every other week and from what I read, these elevations of the threat level are having less and less effect on the actions of authorities. President Bush's stated purpose in two dual wars - in Afganistan and Iraq - was to capture Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein. Have we caught either? Absolutely not. And for how long have our oceans protected us? Not since the War of 1812 when our own national capital was burned by foreign enemies.

The Democrats have a plan of action here. Instead of short-changing homeland security funding as the president currently is doing (in the last session, Democrats wanted over a billion more in spending on first responders than the administration), the Democrats will completely fund the efforts of those that will help this nation fight terrorism and protect us from it. We will not appoint a two-term governor of a state like Pennsylania that is a Bush cronie to the office of homeland security. Instead of diverting attention every five minutes from the fact that the intended objectives of our terrorism efforts have failed, we will instead become even more dedicated to accomplishing them.

I do not see how people can hate trial lawyers so incredibly much. Ok, you go through three extra years of schooling followed by 10 years of doing ##### work in order to get to the top. Yes there are many terrible lawsuits out there that have no bearing. But the overwhelming majority of them are completely justified. When people are treated unfairly they deserve representation and the right to justice. Senator Edwards thoughts on health insurance is competely grounded in facts. I mean tort reform will do nothing to the increase in insurance costs. Absolutely nothing and the health insurance industry knows that.

Businesses are not what keeps America going. The middle class - the people - are what keep this nation going. They pay the taxes, join the service, and are too often left without a voice especially when the current administration is led by a man that owned a baseball team, an oil company, and whose daddy was the president. Ask President Bush how many times in his life he has had to deal with hardship, poverty, or some form of discrimination. Corporations are not the entities that provide tax money in this nation. Murdoch's Fox Corporation paid nearly nothing in federal taxes last year. Neither did General Electric, Proctor and Gamble, and a score of other large companies. Business is something that is great for America but when they abuse their power and their status, they must be held responsible. Corporate loopholes must be closed (all of your favorite, Reagan, decided to that with the Alternative MinimumTax which the Bush administration wishes to repeal).

And fellas, I think that your party is going to be sadly upset when you are defeated because the only tactic that you can resort to is name-calling and pictures of crying babies and the such.

B

Bruzilla

You disappoint me Dems! I was really expecting better from you. :bawl:

You Libs still don't get the fact that most Americans do not think like you do. The Democratic party is largely comprised of special interest groups who have attitudes that run contrary to what most Americans want... again, go back to the Election map. Outside of the handout centers of the cities you guys got your tails whipped. The idea of the new American family, comprised of multi-racial homosexuals who detest religious mandates and feel that it's okay to say or do anything you want in regards to drugs or offensive music just doesn't fly. The fact is that the Democratic Party has turned itself over to a lot of radical people that most Americans disagree with. Yes, the Republicans have their religious zealots, but they are just one small group. You guys have the gays, the lesbians, the radical blacks, the tree huggers, feminists, and on and on.

Also, please do not rewrite history. It was not Al Gore who was the leader of the crusade to censor lyrics for songs in the 1980s... it was Tipper! Al didn't do squat in this regard. And I would remind you that both of the Gores later went out to California and apologized for Tipper making waves for the music and TV industry so they could boost the chances that Al would get elected.

"Our party is more committed to homeland security and protecting our borders than the current administration, who merely talks the talk." What are you guys planning to do about homeland security? I haven't heard any Dems offer up any solid plans. Besides, there's no such thing as making America secure. The advantage is always with the attacker and I wish the Dems (and others) would wake up to the fact that the enemy is never static. Anything that the Republicans or Democrats do can be countered by an attacker. Everytime that you develop a Plan A, they'll develop a Plan B to defeat your plan... that's the nature of warfare.

"The Democrats will completely fund the efforts of those that will help this nation fight terrorism and protect us from it." Who are you going to fund? You could quadruple the number of police and security forces in this country and the net gain in national security would be zip. The truth is that no matter how many dollars you spend, no matter how many people you fund, they are not going to stop someone who's determined to stage an attack (especially if that someone is not interested in surviving the attack.) They will find a way around any defense that you set up. The only way you can win is to take the battle to the enemy, and that's what we've been doing in Afghanistan and Iraq... and probably shortly in Iran.

You aren't going to increase homeland security by dumping billions of dollars on first responders. If someone's having to be a first responder, its only because something has already happened. The goal is to stop the event from happening in the first place, and that's what Bush has been working torwards. Unfortunately, the Dems are more worried about Bush looking good than getting the bad guys, and they drag their feet and make life as difficult as possible for the guy who's actions they are criticizing!!! Speaking for myself, I don't feel more secure by placing bars on my windows and seeing cops everywhere... I feel secure by knowing the bad guys are either dead or incapacitated.

Lastly, I really wish that you Dems would stop trying to make a case for lack of action based on the fact that neither OBL or Hussein are dead or in custody. Neither OBL or Hussein is going to personally run around killing Americans... their organizations are. Iraq is now out of the picture, and Al Quaeda is back to blowing up cars with ignorant kids pulling the trigger. Their abilities to plan, finance, and execute ellaborate plans like 9/11 are gone.

In regards to trial lawyers, I can't speak for why so many people dislike them but I can speak as to why I dislike them (and by the way... I'm the only member of my family who is not a lawyer.) I think that people started disliking lawyers when the rules were changed to allow advertising for services. Before that time, people dealt with lawyers only on rare occasions, and mainly when they had suffered a major wrong. Back then there were such things as accidents, misunderstandings, goofs, jokes, etc.

But instead of just advertising services, lawyers started advertising for customers. Gone were the "Hi. I'm Joe and I'm an Attorney", and in were "Have you been injured or offended in any way? I can get you CASH!!!." Now there were no more accidents, misunderstandings, or goofs... there were just opportunities to make a buck. Lawyers are all over TV and print media making pitches like used car dealers. "Just come on in and bring us your problem... it won't cost you a dime unless 'we' win!"

Some wrongs have been righted, but at what cost? Now if your rotten kids gets in trouble, you sue the schools and there will be a line of lawyers willing to take your case. The schools will usually settle, the lawyer takes his/her cut, the parent of the rotten kid gets the rest, and the remaining kids suffer because their money for new text books just went to settle another BS lawsuit. Come on Dems... you know how this works. You bluster with the lawsuit and hope for a settlement. So thanks to lawyers, we now have to worry about every frigging thing that we do. We have to worry about some kid sneaking into our pool and drowning, we have to worry about some delivery boy tripping over our garden hose, we have to worry about losing our house because we backed into someone else's car at the Foodway and said person is now laying on the pavement and holding their neck. Basically... lawyers have sucked most of the joy out of life.

What's turned America into such a litigious society are it's lawyers and their quest to make more money. Talk about an industry that is raking in the bucks without regard for the welfare of the public! Lawyers don't make money without lawsuits, and if there aren't enough lawsuits occuring on their own, the lawyers just have to create and environment that will spawn more. And that's exactly what they've been doing for the past 20 or so years.

"Businesses are not what keeps America going. The middle class - the people - are what keep this nation going." Hello??? The Middle Class??? Do we in the Middle Class have a license to print money? If so I sure as heck didn't get mine. Without businesses there are no jobs, so there is no middle class, or any other class for that matter. Without the Foxes, the General Electrics, the Proctor and Gambles, and the scores of other large companies there are no Chevy dealers, no Targets, no Wal Marts. Without these intermediate businesses there are no low-end retailers like 7-11, McDonalds, or Jiffy Lube.

Businesses, large and small, exist to make money. They are not cultural centers or civil activities. If the people who make money from these companies can't make a profit that they feel justifies their investment, they'll turn elsewhere. If the Dems boost the minimum wage by ten percent, businesses will just increase the cost of goods and services by a like amount, so the net gain is near zero. The Dems can demand that companies pay for healthcare, and the companies can say "Viva le Mexico!" The Dems can say "you must pay more for employees AND you can't move out of the country", and the companies can liquidate and the owners can invest their money elsewhere while the employees get laid off.

Trying to screw over businesses is like nailing jell-o to a wall. They'll always find a way around your efforts and in the end they have the ultimate escape clause... they can just close down, liquidate assets, and invest in something else. In the end it's the middle class that ends up paying higher costs for consumer goods, losing jobs overseas, and getting laid off because some people think that they can force the hands of business owners.

Republicans are making a strong comeback because our country has gotten to the point where the non-producers are exceeding the producers. For example, we know that "healthcare for ALL Americans" really means that those who currently have to pay for it will now have to pay even more to cover the costs of those who don't. Republicans will win because people are realizing a truth that's been around for centuries. The Dems believe that's it's better to provide immediate gratification, i.e., they'll give a man a fish and feed him for a day, thus making sure he'll be back the next day for another fish. The Republicans believe that it's better to teach the man to fish and let him feed himself for life.

demsformd

Bru, I cannot believet that you would say the Democrats are dominated by special interests when you should take a look at your own party. You need to realize that the Republican Party cares nothing about the average party man or woman. The GOP is dominated by the oil industry, the coal industry, radical Christian groups which are a large part of the party, radical groups like the Council of Conservative Citizens, people such as Bob Jones, the Enrons of the World, the NRA, the list is endless.

I am sick of hearing about handouts...such a term brings such hatred with it. We provide for those that you hate. We give to those that society thinks are worthless. We give to the middle class with our tax cuts, not the wealthy. Anyway since we only carried those that got handouts, wow a lot of America gets them. Do you recall that more people in America endorsed the more liberal person last time?

The Democrats are going to win this time because George W. Bush's policies of tax cutting but continued uncontrolled spending have cost the national deficit to reach its largest point since the Reagan years. The 2001 tax cut was meant to create 800,000 jobs but instead we lost two million jobs. When people are asked whether they see tax cuts as the best way to boost the economy, only 24% say yes. Class stratification has increased 6% since 2001. More children are born into poverty than any other time in history. Over 44 million people do not have Health Care and the current administration has done nothing to decrease that number. Seniors still must choose between prescriptions and food. The baby boomers are no longer guarenteed that there will be Social Security for them in the years to come because of privitization. The tide will be in our favor just as long as we can neutralize the president on homeland security and people realize that we do not need him to protect us. The American way of life protects us, not a single man. President Bush will be defeated next time...it will happen.