A Must Read

H

HouseCat

If you have not read "Skinny B1tch" or "Skinny B1tch in the Kitch" by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin...get your ass to Barnes & Noble and buy it right now.

I almost peed myself laughing so hard. Not to mention, it was a revelation to discover all the crap that goes into our food, making us sick.

Have you read it? Discuss..:coffee:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
"this irreverent cookbook orders readers to toss out all their meat, eggs and dairy, and make room for nutritional yeast, seitan and something called "Bragg's Liquid Aminos" (although soy sauce will do in a pinch). The authors' philosophy is simple but rigid: in order to be skinny, one must also be vegan (and, preferably, willing to give up coffee and white sugar). Not to despair-the svelte can eat all the tofu-based fake meat and cheese they want, and follow it up with dessert-alikes such as #####tastic Brownies or Cheezecake. For the most part, recipes are easy and inoffensive; while a "Chicken" Parmesan Panini will fool nobody, other offerings, like Japanese Soba Noodles with Steamed Vegetables and Tofu, are perfectly satisfying.

Confusingly, there's no nutritional information for any of the recipes, nor is there any information on the specific dietary needs of vegans"

I don't think so.

K

Kain99

"this irreverent cookbook orders readers to toss out all their meat, eggs and dairy, and make room for nutritional yeast, seitan and something called "Bragg's Liquid Aminos" (although soy sauce will do in a pinch). The authors' philosophy is simple but rigid: in order to be skinny, one must also be vegan (and, preferably, willing to give up coffee and white sugar). Not to despair-the svelte can eat all the tofu-based fake meat and cheese they want, and follow it up with dessert-alikes such as #####tastic Brownies or Cheezecake. For the most part, recipes are easy and inoffensive; while a "Chicken" Parmesan Panini will fool nobody, other offerings, like Japanese Soba Noodles with Steamed Vegetables and Tofu, are perfectly satisfying.

Confusingly, there's no nutritional information for any of the recipes, nor is there any information on the specific dietary needs of vegans"

I don't think so.

Wow! Thanks for the run down. I can save a buck or two.

sk8enscars

Yeah it started off as a decent read.... then when I realized it was nothing more than vegan propaganda I started using it as a coaster.

H

HouseCat

You all can't read a book and take/leave what applies to you? Yes, it does promote vegetarianism...yes, its a plug for PETA (which I do not subscribe to); however, there is still a lot of good info in there. I suggest you read the parts about all the crap that is in our food, meat and dairy. I didn't even read the animal cruelty parts, because I knew what they were selling, but the rest of it is very interesting.

All the toxins and crap they put in our food, people need to be aware of what the USDA and FDA are really doing...how they are NOT about safety, but about contracts and making money.

Another good website which is not a plugger for PETA, but for women's health issues is Women to Women — Changing women's health — naturally
They reiterate the same thing about processed/refined foods and what they're putting in our meat and how it affects your hormones and health.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
You all can't read a book and take/leave what applies to you? Yes, it does promote vegetarianism...yes, its a plug for PETA (which I do not subscribe to); however, there is still a lot of good info in there. I suggest you read the parts about all the crap that is in our food, meat and dairy. I didn't even read the animal cruelty parts, because I knew what they were selling, but the rest of it is very interesting.

All the toxins and crap they put in our food, people need to be aware of what the USDA and FDA are really doing...how they are NOT about safety, but about contracts and making money.

Another good website which is not a plugger for PETA, but for women's health issues is Women to Women — Changing women's health — naturally
They reiterate the same thing about processed/refined foods and what they're putting in our meat and how it affects your hormones and health.

That's why I personally buy farm fresh meat whenever possible, rarely off a supermarket shelf. I also have my own garden and hit farmer's markets for fresh fruit and veggies and eggs and even butter, made locally.

Think of this way - by purchasing your food locally grown, you save the environment (no transportation fees from CA, Mexico, etc.), you support your community, and you eat healthier, not to mention it's much tastier.

However, as much as I hear people B&M about chemicals and etc., I don't see them growing their own food or even supporting the local farmers. They would rather pay 5 times the cost and make a purchase in a grocery store for "organic" food flown in from China. :rolleyes:

Oh and if you notice, mine wasn't in any way a plug for PETA. Buy a cow and have it slaughtered. Works out cheaper per pound than what you'd pay at a store. Buy a pig and have it slaughtered. Etc.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I read a bit of it and thought, "Well, they got the b*tch part right, anyway..." And that was the end of that. I was sorry I gave them my $13 or whatever it was.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
That's why I personally buy farm fresh meat whenever possible, rarely off a supermarket shelf. I also have my own garden and hit farmer's markets for fresh fruit and veggies and eggs and even butter, made locally.

Think of this way - by purchasing your food locally grown, you save the environment (no transportation fees from CA, Mexico, etc.), you support your community, and you eat healthier, not to mention it's much tastier.

However, as much as I hear people B&M about chemicals and etc., I don't see them growing their own food or even supporting the local farmers. They would rather pay 5 times the cost and make a purchase in a grocery store for "organic" food flown in from China. :rolleyes:

Oh and if you notice, mine wasn't in any way a plug for PETA. Buy a cow and have it slaughtered. Works out cheaper per pound than what you'd pay at a store. Buy a pig and have it slaughtered. Etc.

Do you know what your local cows/chickens/pigs are being fed?

I'm still all for buying local, and would like to make a bigger effort. I'm working on it.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Mig - where are you buying farm fresh meat (assuming you're in st mary's county)? Thanks.

You have lots of options:

You can hit up the Amish

You can contact the local 4-H

You can contact the St Mary's County Extension of Agricultural and Natural Resources

Did you know there is even an Oyster Farm in St Mary's where you can buy FRESH oysters, that have been farm raised and won't deplete the local natural resources?

Also check the farmer's markets and more

Don't be afraid to drive out side of St Mary's either. Anywhere within driving distance is still close enough to make a huge difference.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Do you know what your local cows/chickens/pigs are being fed?

I'm still all for buying local, and would like to make a bigger effort. I'm working on it.

Yes. Most farms will let you come and walk around and look and see how they do business. Your very best bet though, is a 4-H auction after the fair. Those animals have been the best feed, most well taken care of animals ever. Remember a whole cow is a lot of weight. In that case, it's better to split a cow with someone unless you are going to fly through it or have enough room for it. Seriously you can really taste the difference in flavor, and there has been no red dye #5 injected into anything that's come off the farm. Plus at 4-H auctions you have a wider selection - lamb, goat, pig, cow, chicken, duck, etc. and you can send it straight to the butcher from the auction and get a call to come pick up your cuts.

Okay I feel some of you squirming in your seats, but that's the point, you should know where your food comes from.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Yes. Most farms will let you come and walk around and look and see how they do business. Your very best bet though, is a 4-H auction after the fair. Those animals have been the best feed, most well taken care of animals ever. Remember a whole cow is a lot of weight. In that case, it's better to split a cow with someone unless you are going to fly through it or have enough room for it. Seriously you can really taste the difference in flavor, and there has been no red dye #5 injected into anything that's come off the farm. Plus at 4-H auctions you have a wider selection - lamb, goat, pig, cow, chicken, duck, etc. and you can send it straight to the butcher from the auction and get a call to come pick up your cuts.

Okay I feel some of you squirming in your seats, but that's the point, you should know where your food comes from.

Do you know where the Amish purchase their chicken feed? Do you know what's in that chicken feed? That was my point. Even local farmers have to buy feed. I'm not talking about their living conditions.

I've had beef that was from a county fair cow. It was very good. But I still don't know what it was fed, or what the ingredients of that feed was.

Have you heard about the arsenic in the chicken feed?

PrepH4U

Do you know where the Amish purchase their chicken feed? Do you know what's in that chicken feed? That was my point. Even local farmers have to buy feed. I'm not talking about their living conditions.

I've had beef that was from a county fair cow. It was very good. But I still don't know what it was fed, or what the ingredients of that feed was.

You make a good point with questioning what they have been fed.
I am for buying all local also but you still have to becareful of all the pesticides & fertilizers used on produce along with all the hormones, steriods & antibiotics for livestock.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

Again, that's why I push a 4-H purchase - you can ask them yourself what those animals were fed. You should ask. IMHO, though, most, if not all, 4-H animals are fed the very best, pampered and well taken care of. Because it matters in the show. I know that from personal experience.

A farm visit allows you to see how and what the animals are feed - if the chickens are free range, etc. I'm picky as heck in what cows and pigs are fed. They are sometimes fed meat by-products and that won't do for me personally. Most local farms here fed their animals what they grew themselves on their own farm or what they purchased from another local farm.

You personally if you want to know - should ask. If you attend the fair - you look at all the animals in advance. Usually the 4-H family is right there hovering and they welcome your questions. They want you to know how well they took care of that animal.