A new report says Trump demanded Comey’s loyalty. That could be devastating.

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" The New York Times is now reporting that according to “associates” of former FBI director James B. Comey, President Trump asked Comey at a private dinner in January to pledge his loyalty. Comey told Trump that he could not do that, the sources say, and now blames this in part for Trump’s decision to fire him.

Whatever the truth, this immediately demands that two things happen:

1. Congressional investigators looking into possible Trump campaign collusion with Russian meddling in the election must ask Comey about this episode under oath. After all, the account to the Times was likely authorized by Comey in some way.
  2. If this does not happen, Comey has an obligation to go public with his account of this dinner, and also about other matters, which I’ll get to in a moment.
As the Times story puts it: “Mr. Trump may not have understood that by tradition, F.B.I. directors are not supposed to be political loyalists, which is why Congress in the 1970s passed a law giving them 10-year terms to make them independent of the president.”
This report must be looked at in its larger context. In an interview with NBC News that aired last night, Trump explicitly confirmed that he fired Comey because the FBI is probing potential Trump campaign collusion with Russia. He said:

“When I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said, you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story.”
And so, if this demand for loyalty happened, it took place in the context of Trump’s knowledge that Comey was overseeing an investigation into his own campaign — the handling of which Trump himself now says was his reason for firing Comey.

In an interview with me this morning, Harvard professor Laurence Tribe, a persistent Trump critic, argued that this demand for loyalty, if it happened, could constitute an effort to obstruct justice, particularly when viewed in the light of the subsequent firing of Comey. "

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2017/05/12/a-new-report-says-trump-demanded-comeys-loyalty-that-could-be-devastating/?utm_term=.43d6bc181605

littlelady

God bless the USA
Washington Post...:lol: Why aren't the headlines ...Trump gets two scoops of ice cream...?

Oh, and...:gossip:...Benghazi...Lorretta Lynch...Iran deal...terrorists out of Gitmo...Hillary's emails...Uranium sale to Russia...etc. etc. etc. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
One more thing. The fact that Trump was elected prez is devastating to the agenda of the libprogs. If they had any dignity, at all, they would suck it up, and look toward the next election(s). But, no, they have no dignity, and have twisted their innards. Poor babies, I hope they survive. Not really, but just trying to be fair. :killingme:

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
IF this story is true and if Comey is the bastion of integrity, as most everyone on the left is now claiming, why didn't Comey hand his resignation to the President there and then (back in late January)? Wouldn't that have been the thing to do if the story was true and Comey is as honorable as many claim he is.

Hijinx

IF this story is true and if Comey is the bastion of integrity, as most everyone on the left is now claiming, why didn't Comey hand his resignation to the President there and then (back in late January)? Wouldn't that have been the thing to do if the story was true and Comey is as honorable as many claim he is.

Sounds to me like another unsubstantiated rumor that the liberals can toss around and never get an answer.
Just like the Russian BS.
The media is doing their best to stir discontent in America.
A Free press my ass, this bunch of propagandists will print anything anti- Trump.
And the crazed liberals jump on it like it is the word of god.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Enough of this distraction over Comey... let's get back to the constitutional crisis here of presidential ice cream.

The nation needs to know if he eats two scoops at every sitting, only special occasions or on a whim.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I have to ask ...

SO WHAT ..... :shrug:

every executive employing people expects and even asks for LOYALTY