A new Roof is in my future

PeoplesElbow

Anyone get their roof replaced lately?

Who did it, what type, brand etc shingles or steel did you get?

Pretty sure I'll stay with asphalt shingles, maybe the cool roof kind.

PeoplesElbow

I've heard good things about GH Clark but they never showed on me a few years ago to do an estimate after I took the day off, so they are out.

General Lee

CertainTeed is my preferred brand, hopefully whomever I decide to hire uses their shingles.
Not sure how true it actually is, but I've heard some recent chatter from homebuilders that shingles nowadays aren't worth a crap. That they aren't manufactured with much tar and won't stick, making it easy for them to blow and such. When the time comes, I'll most likely be going with a metal roof.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
When the time comes, I'll most likely be going with a metal roof.

I routinely have to drive from SGI to River Springs in 7D. I was struck by how many homes along the way have gone with new metal roofs. And nary a one with a new shingle roof. My brother-the-home-builder tells me that's because the current generation metal roofing products are a much better value for the money than most shingle options.

ginwoman

We put architectural shingles on the rental. Looks nice. Done by Jamie Scruggs. Did a good job and cleaned up their job nicely. He's licensed and insured.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Went with metal sheets when we built this home, material (metal vs shingles) was about 2X more, labor was about 1/2 as it goes up a lot quicker, and life expectancy is 3X to 4X over shingles. Not to mention out here in the woods the protection from the roof catching from a forest fire is greatly diminished.

I hadn't noticed much noise difference from rain but I do have double insulation up in the attic.

Indoyota

Well, they finished up the roof. Color looks almost the same as the old one. But the shingles look good. Had them use the ice and leak underlayment for the whole roof. A few hundred dollars more. Going to be putting up solar in the winter, so i felt that added protection would help.

PeoplesElbow

Went with metal sheets when we built this home, material (metal vs shingles) was about 2X more, labor was about 1/2 as it goes up a lot quicker, and life expectancy is 3X to 4X over shingles. Not to mention out here in the woods the protection from the roof catching from a forest fire is greatly diminished.

I hadn't noticed much noise difference from rain but I do have double insulation up in the attic.
So how did the total price compare?