A Newbie at Quiet Valley!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
It's been a rough week - we lost both sweet Rosey and her beautiful buckskin foal Thursday. The foal was huge, and in the completely wrong position to be born. Rosey's uterus ruptured after a 5 hour go at getting the foal out at Tidewater, with 2 vets working on her nonstop.

Thank goodness the week ended on a great note friday at 8:00 pm, when Dani foaled a beautiful big healthy chocolate/white filly~ and i was able to scoop her up while she was still wet for messy first time cuddles while still in my work clothes. I had gone down to the barn as soon as i got out of the car, in time to see Dani push out the placenta.

Filly is already chasing the chickens. :biggrin:

Attachments

• dani-baby-1.jpg
    dani-baby-1.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 226
  • dani-fillynursing2Small.jpg
    dani-fillynursing2Small.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 213
T

toppick08

It's been a rough week - we lost both sweet Rosey and her beautiful buckskin foal Thursday. The foal was huge, and in the completely wrong position to be born. Rosey's uterus ruptured after a 5 hour go at getting the foal out at Tidewater, with 2 vets working on her nonstop.

Thank goodness the week ended on a great note friday at 8:00 pm, when Dani foaled a beautiful big healthy chocolate/white filly~ and i was able to scoop her up while she was still wet for messy first time cuddles while still in my work clothes. I had gone down to the barn as soon as i got out of the car, in time to see Dani push out the placenta.

:yay:

backagain39

WOW!!! I am not a *horse person* but couldn't the vet do a C-section on the horse?????

And congrats on the new philly.....she is beautiful!!!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Not at the local vet, that would have had to have been done at Leesburg, or New Bolton.

The baby was already dead, and should have been fairly easy to get out, right at Tidewater once the legs were repositioned, but that was not to be. The presentation was the worst possible one aside from breech. Bent at the knee, and crossed at the elbow across the chest. The vet couldn't even get her hands into the area to uncross the legs and pull the feet forward. It was just too big.

Duckz

Not at the local vet, that would have had to have been done at Leesburg, or New Bolton.

The baby was already dead, and should have been fairly easy to get out, right at Tidewater once the legs were repositioned, but that was not to be. The presentation was the worst possible one aside from breech. Bent at the knee, and crossed at the elbow across the chest. The vet couldn't even get her hands into the area to uncross the legs and pull the feet forward. It was just too big.

How sad! Sorry to hear that.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Sorry for your loss of a mare and foal..that is really horrible to loose both...Poor thing...Was this one hopefully one you had just gotten insurance on?? At least after the heart ache of the loss you can replace her with another brood mare..I do realize it is not the same .. :frown:

Spicober

:frown:I am so very sorry for your loss.:huggy: It seems to be a rough year for everyone w/deaths.
Although on a lighter note...Congrats on the newest one...it is BEAUTIFUL! Chickens seem to have their hands full :lmao:

We lost a 6 wk old baby's momma last night. Now have a orphan foal. Momma had a bad colic. Anyone else have that happen? We have another mare w/foal that we have separated (vet reccomendation). Bottle every 3 hours. Situation just stinks :frown:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
:frown:I am so very sorry for your loss.:huggy: It seems to be a rough year for everyone w/deaths.
Although on a lighter note...Congrats on the newest one...it is BEAUTIFUL! Chickens seem to have their hands full :lmao:

We lost a 6 wk old baby's momma last night. Now have a orphan foal. Momma had a bad colic. Anyone else have that happen? We have another mare w/foal that we have separated (vet reccomendation). Bottle every 3 hours. Situation just stinks :frown:
:faint: You poor thing!! What a foaling season it has been this year! :huggy:
We put down my son's favorite appy mare Chey last year when her colt was 3 months old. She had a gutteral pouch infection that we had been treating for over a month, that infiltrated her sinus cavity then finally her brain and she developed neurological signs even after we had done antibiotic lavages with the endoscope. THAT was awful. He cried and cried for her. I felt so bad for him. He was already eating well when she died. This is a pix of Chey and Te at the SMAWL fair 2 years ago in native costume. The Bay Ap mare under my son is Chey.
When can you start your youngster on sipping from a bucket instead of a bottle? How old is it?
BTW to avoid colic when you're feeding the momma so much, start throwing half a cup of corn or safflower oil into the grain at each feed, it will ease digestion, and hopefully avoid colic-this is good for weigh gain too. MORE high quality hay or chopped forage, less grain is the ultimate solution.

Attachments

• Te-CheyNkids-Small.jpg
    Te-CheyNkids-Small.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair

So sorry for your loss, it sucks big time to wait almost a year to finally see the foal and then loose both mare and foal. The first two foals of my mini stallion were breech and still born and it was devastating digging those little graves. Fortunately both of my friends mares made it through, one with the vets help and down the road two of his filly's were born on my farm. The first one I had to milk the mom and feed the baby for three days until she was strong enough to find the ninny and feed herself. I'm not good at milking and got some in my mouth one early morning. It tasted a little skunky to me:0

Congrats on the new chocolate and white filly. My chocolate and white mini filly will be one next month. She can't wait to shed all her baby fuzz and is still as huggable today as she was when I was feeding her mothers milk in a syringe:)

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
:faint: You poor thing!! What a foaling season it has been this year! :huggy:
We put down my son's favorite appy mare Chey last year when her colt was 3 months old. She had a gutteral pouch infection that we had been treating for over a month, that infiltrated her sinus cavity then finally her brain and she developed neurological signs even after we had done antibiotic lavages with the endoscope. THAT was awful. He cried and cried for her. I felt so bad for him. He was already eating well when she died. This is a pix of Chey and Te at the SMAWL fair 2 years ago in native costume. The Bay Ap mare under my son is Chey.

Sorry for your loss too. I love spots too:)

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Mocha-Jo's Poppa
Docs Jamocha
2007 International Country Trail Pleasure Stallions Reserve Champion
2007 Northeast Country Trail Pleasure Champion
Chocolate Creek Stables - Stallions

Here is an updated pix of Mocha sent to me by her owner. She's growing like a weed.

Attachments

• MochaEnriquez-yrling.jpg
    MochaEnriquez-yrling.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 145

WesternRider

We put down my son's favorite appy mare Chey last year when her colt was 3 months old. She had a gutteral pouch infection that we had been treating for over a month, that infiltrated her sinus cavity then finally her brain and she developed neurological signs even after we had done antibiotic lavages with the endoscope.

This sounds like strangles. There aren't many diseases that affect the gutteral pouches like this. Bastard strangles can even have neurological symptoms. Was the infection discharge cultured? Did they find strep?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
This sounds like strangles. There aren't many diseases that affect the gutteral pouches like this. Bastard strangles can even have neurological symptoms. Was the infection discharge cultured? Did they find strep?
This was 2 years ago, and yes it was cultured at the time. It was NOT strangles. She had a bunch of tumors in her nasal cavity and gutteral pouch which stopped them from draining naturally.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I saw this mare when she was sick..even though it sounds like strangles it did NOT really look like it..and she did not act like it...and yes I know happy had it cultured before she put her down..it was not strangles..

I

ilovemyappy

Sorry about your loss

So sorry about your loss. I lost my colt back in March due to a redbag delivery and he lived to be two days old. I am lucky that my mare was saved but the vet told me not to breed her again. Congrats on the filly!!! Look out chickens. LOL!!!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
So sorry about your loss. I lost my colt back in March due to a redbag delivery and he lived to be two days old. I am lucky that my mare was saved but the vet told me not to breed her again. Congrats on the filly!!! Look out chickens. LOL!!!

I had a red bag birth this year and my filly is fine...I plan to rebreed the mare again..