A Night for Accidents

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
More than usual. When I was getting dinner, there were 2 at the same time on 235, one SB235 in front of Navy FCU, and another NB235 just north of WaWa. Another on Rt 4 near Indian Bridge, one in Ltown on Fenwick. Multiple fatalities. All around the same time, between 6:30 and 7:15.

:sshrug:

glhs837

Power with Control
Some one somewhere is trying to say "We need to find a better way of enforcing our traffic laws"."

What you mean saturation patrols for speeding might not do it? Shocked, I am, I mean it's never worked before....ohwaitnevermind :)

I really want to see the Sheriffs statistics for this last years. It's been horrendous, and the amount of crashes caused by speed I imagine very very low. Lots of crossed centerlines, lots of T-bones (failure to yield). More of everything really, it seems.

You'all can pooh pooh self driving cars, but Christ, they have to better than the idiots we have doing it now.

ginwoman

Good grief that's awful. As I've said before I don't like being on the road these days due to the many crazy drivers out there. Everyone in a hurry :(

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Without getting into a discussion about seat belt mandates or 'the government telling us what to do", the thing that catches my eye repeatedly is "patients ejected". That has to be a horrible sight.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I really want to see the Sheriffs statistics for this last years. It's been horrendous, and the amount of crashes caused by speed I imagine very very low. Lots of crossed centerlines, lots of T-bones (failure to yield). More of everything really, it seems.
There was an article on the news, it's not just here. There has been a marked increase in accidents and related fatalities everywhere since the pandemic. Speed seems to be a common theme.

The nonprofit National Safety Council estimates in a report issued Thursday that 42,060 people died in vehicle crashes in 2020, an 8% increase over 2019 and the first jump in four years.

Plus, the fatality rate per 100 million miles driven spiked 24%, the largest annual percentage increase since the council began collecting data in 1923.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
My son's home is on St Andrews Church Road, on a blind corner. I feel like I'm taking my life in my hands every time I use his driveway. Hope to not get rear ended making a left turn into his drive, pedal to the metal trying to make a left turn out of there.

I know other drivers can see the predicament I'm in, but it's like they just have to get by there and let the driver behind THEM be polite enough to slow down and give me some space. And that shoulder is barely wide enough for them to get around me, but by gawd, they will go around. Stop behind me? Oh, hell no.

I am prepared to be in a major accident there eventually. I hate to think of my grandkids being involved.

Tech

There was an article on the news, it's not just here. There has been a marked increase in accidents and related fatalities everywhere since the pandemic. Speed seems to be a common theme.

Well, those bad drivers use to be confined at work and only on the road at rush hour and heavy traffic does have effect the speed. Now they are teleworking and sneaking out.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
What you mean saturation patrols for speeding might not do it? Shocked, I am, I mean it's never worked before....ohwaitnevermind :)

You'all can pooh pooh self driving cars, but Christ, they have to better than the idiots we have doing it now.
None of this is helped by the retarded traffic light system where you have to cross three lanes of traffic to make a U turn.

BernieP

Resident PIA

Speed contributes to the risk of more serious or fatal injuries. But speed alone isn't what causes most collisions.
Oh, it's an 'S' word, Stupidity. The medical term is cranial-rectal inversion. Seat belts were installed in vehicles, as well as airbags because they do save lives. Automakers have designed vehicles that absorb more of the impact, we have added side safety beams.
We haven't figured out how to get people to stop being stupid. They don't want to wear a seatbelt - maybe it's the myth that they will be ejected and pulled back through the window. More than speed, maybe poorly maintained pieces of crap that are on the road.

We put the blame on technology and easy to see things - speed and a cell phone. Not on the oblivious idiots behind the wheel who have no idea what they are doing half the time because they are on a distant planet.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Preliminary investigation determined a 2017 Chevrolet Malibu, operated by Luaryn Kate Donley, age 22 of Harwood, was traveling south on St. Andrews Church Road when she came upon a 2014 Kia Soul, that was braking to make a turn. Donley swerved to the left, striking the back of the Kia, and then crossed the centerline, striking a 2006 Chrysler 300 head-on that was traveling northbound. Donley and a passenger, Sara Marie Tippett, age 20 of California, were ejected from the vehicle. Donley and a third passenger in the Chevrolet, Amber Marie Weaver, age 21 of Prince Frederick, were flown to area trauma centers for treatment. Tippett was pronounced deceased on the scene by emergency medical personnel. The operator of the Kia, Emily Thompson Kutcha, age 28 of Lexington Park, did benot report any incapacitating injuries and was not transported for medical treatment. The operator of the Chrysler, Ruben Gonzalez, age 55, and passenger Nadia Morales Montanez, age 57, both of Puerto Rico, were both transported via helicopter to area trauma centers for treatment.

Let's see, I'd say not paying attention because they were more engaged on what was going on IN the car and not outside.
Swerved LEFT - doh - the ditch would have been a better alternative than a head on.

glhs837

Power with Control
Speed contributes to the risk of more serious or fatal injuries. But speed alone isn't what causes most collisions.
Oh, it's an 'S' word, Stupidity. The medical term is cranial-rectal inversion. Seat belts were installed in vehicles, as well as airbags because they do save lives. Automakers have designed vehicles that absorb more of the impact, we have added side safety beams.
We haven't figured out how to get people to stop being stupid. They don't want to wear a seatbelt - maybe it's the myth that they will be ejected and pulled back through the window. More than speed, maybe poorly maintained pieces of crap that are on the road.

We put the blame on technology and easy to see things - speed and a cell phone. Not on the oblivious idiots behind the wheel who have no idea what they are doing half the time because they are on a distant planet.

Exactly, speed as a factor as opposed to speed as a cause. Last time is was looked at scientifically, it was found that police almost always list speed as a factor, but when studied, it was like 3% of the primary causes. Driver idiocy or inattention caused almost all the rest.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I went over the bridge today from Calvert to St Mary's and observed a car heading northbound that didn't even have a half a car's length behind the car ahead of him. Someone in the line hit the brakes and this ******* slammed on his and slid over into the southbound lane. Luckily no one was in it at that second.
Coming back over an hour later, a guy was in a big hurry to get ahead of me and I gladly let him...he tailgated the car in front of him- again not even leaving half a car's length between him and the car he was riding their ass. Though I kept my distance, I was going 54 over the bridge and he and the car ahead of him had to be going even faster. I turned off at the 1st Solomons exit and did not see anything else but hoped that there was a Trooper sitting up ahead to nail this turd that was in such a hurry.