A pox on our region

Pete

Repete
I am writing to you all today to express my sadness, nay... my disgust at a problem that is vexing our beloved Southern Maryland. It is everywhere, scattered about, too and fro, high and low, in the roads, sidewalks, grassy areas, nearly on every horizontal surface. It is an eyesore, a hazard, an obstacle course, it proliferates virtually every outdoor area and no one is immune to it, one can do their best to avoid it, but it has an will affect everyone..........the feces of the Urban Goose.

I have to move about my complex and on and off base, between buildings, and it is everywhere, those light green nuggets of filth, those cheese puff shaped turds. It is like a goose turd obstacle course. In the grass, sidewalks, entryways to buildings, hell even in the middle of the road. The UG is an invasive species, unafraid of the great predator, so unafraid they taunt us by dropping goose crap everywhere as a geeseian "Screw you".

So now it rained and the goose crap that litters the landscape is now swollen and even more nasty.

Join with me in the outrage! Ban UG from our fair towns and complexes!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Better there than on my friggin pier..like they used to do. Now if I could just figure out how to chase the seagulls off to play in housing developments and leave my pier alone...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I will join you in your fight to eradicate the UG. In fact, I would like to see a ban on all Aves because they are annoying and unhygienic. My dog isn't allowed on the school playground because he might poop or pee on it. Birds, on the other hand, are allowed to soil the playground as they see fit and with no restriction.

Discrimination, sez I, and I'll be contacting a lawyer regarding this issue.

cricketmd

I will join you in your fight to eradicate the UG. In fact, I would like to see a ban on all Aves because they are annoying and unhygienic. My dog isn't allowed on the school playground because he might poop or pee on it. Birds, on the other hand, are allowed to soil the playground as they see fit and with no restriction.

Discrimination, sez I, and I'll be contacting a lawyer regarding this issue.

:lol:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Convince the rural pioneers that have moved down here to stop registering their blind site licenses when they don't hunt and allow hunters to get them and a lot of the goose #### problem will go away.

That and stop calling the Sheriff when they hear gun shots during hunting season.

Last edited:

Crow Bait

Convince the rural pioneers that have moved down here to stop registering their blind site licenses when they don't hunt and allow hunters to get them a lot of the goose #### problem will go away.

That and stop calling the Sheriff when they hear gun shots during hunting season.

:dingding:

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
I am writing to you all today to express my sadness, nay... my disgust at a problem that is vexing our beloved Southern Maryland. It is everywhere, scattered about, too and fro, high and low, in the roads, sidewalks, grassy areas, nearly on every horizontal surface. It is an eyesore, a hazard, an obstacle course, it proliferates virtually every outdoor area and no one is immune to it, one can do their best to avoid it, but it has an will affect everyone..........the feces of the Urban Goose.

I have to move about my complex and on and off base, between buildings, and it is everywhere, those light green nuggets of filth, those cheese puff shaped turds. It is like a goose turd obstacle course. In the grass, sidewalks, entryways to buildings, hell even in the middle of the road. The UG is an invasive species, unafraid of the great predator, so unafraid they taunt us by dropping goose crap everywhere as a geeseian "Screw you".

So now it rained and the goose crap that litters the landscape is now swollen and even more nasty.

Join with me in the outrage! Ban UG from our fair towns and complexes!

GSA hired a guy with dogs to chase them out of our facility.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Dogs work the best for keeping them away. If they are chased regularly for a few days, they usually don't return. Another flock of them might but not right away.

I was told that they aren't a protected species so you can kill them BUT you must still observe MD's stupid gun laws in doing so AND they must be on your land.

I'm looking for a good gun to shoot them with because my CO powered BB gun has become useless. Any recommendations for something just short of a 22gauge rifle? I don't necessarily want to kill them but if it happens...:whistle:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
(snip)I was told that they aren't a protected species so you can kill them BUT you must still observe MD's stupid gun laws in doing so AND they must be on your land.(snip)

Good evening, I'm a hunters' safety instructor and hunter out here in Illinois (wife is possibly getting a job at Pax River being why I'm here), so this thread caught my eye.

Here is a link to the Maryland DNR site, resident geese are protected:
Resident Canada Geese: Problems- Wildlife and Heritage Service - Maryland Department of Natural Resources

All wild waterfowl have been regulated under Federal Law and International Agreements since the 1930's (if memory serves correctly).

The resident geese are descendants in part of captive flocks, which were released after the use of live decoys were banned back then and of re-introduction programs.

From my reading of the article I linked above, harassing them is legal, but killing them out of season is not.

Take care, and I share your dismay at their "lawn bombs."

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
FYI...

Everything you always wanted to know about resident geese (and possibly a lot that you didn't want to know!). It does include some suggestions for getting rid of them.(snip)

Looks like I was typing as you were posting. :howdy:

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just saw a gaggle of honkers go over the house with red, blues and purple hues in the sky and a slight sliver of moon.
I'm glad that they didn' sh!t in that brief moment of introspection and reflection :lmao:

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Here is a link to the Maryland DNR site, resident geese are protected:
Resident Canada Geese: Problems- Wildlife and Heritage Service - Maryland Department of Natural Resources
From my reading of the article I linked above, harassing them is legal, but killing them out of season is not.
I spoke to someone at the MD DNR back in August and he said: as long as they are on my land, I can kill them all...Maybe it was the janitor that answered the phone that day??

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I spoke to someone at the MD DNR back in August and he said: as long as they are on my land, I can kill them all...Maybe it was the janitor that answered the phone that day??

Maybe...a better person to speak with would be the local game warden.

Game laws are amongst the oldest we have in this land of ours, Plymouth Colony had Deer Wardens before they had any other sort of constable.

Most game wardens (or conservation police...) are very approachable in my experience; part of their job is educating the public so that all can enjoy the resources we hold in common.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

Whomever you spoke to was wrong and stupid. Maybe it was the WCO that was going to write me a citation a couple years ago because my Over/Under wasn't plugged to a 3 shot limit.

To the new guy from Illinois, welcome. But whatever you do don't ask where you should live on this Forum.

I was just told I should do a :lol: for saying that but you will get slapped around for that question. Ignore those people.

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
(snip)

To the new guy from Illinois, welcome. But whatever you do don't ask where you should on this Forum.

I was just told I should do a :lol: for saying that but you will get slapped around for that question. Ignore those people.

Thanks for the greeting.

No worries about me taking things at more than face value, been on the Web since the early days of DARPA-net and military Tech-nets; acoustic modems, thermo-fax printers and ASCII graphics anyone? :)