A Present for a 13 year old boy for Christmas

SamSpade

I'm trying to get ideas and as usual, HE is no help.

He HAS electronic games and video games out the wazoo, his own TV, a bike, a tablet, a computer.
And he's mostly dreadful at sports, although he plays a lot of them - but not with enthusiasm.

He's soon reaching an age where "toys" aren't the expectation at Christmas, but I'd still like
him to have at least one "wow" present.

Any ideas? What are your kids getting?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When my kids were that age I went with deluxe versions of everyday things. The Starter jacket my son had been coveting, even though he already had a winter coat; name brand jeans and tops for my daughter; cashmere socks; philosophy bath products; sneakers with some sports guy's name on them; like that. Something completely frivolous that I wouldn't normally buy for them, but that they'd been drooling over.

PeoplesElbow

I loved building things at that age, after 13 about the only thing I wanted was hobby class (not toy) RC Car related.

I also got my first drum set around that age.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
We got our 12 year old boy an all-terrain hoverboard for making the Honor Roll last year, and he STILL uses the heck out of it. He rides that dang thing everywhere. While it was initially a somewhat big-ticket item, I would now say it was money well spent. Best thing about it: it keeps him outside and exploring our 'hood and hangin' with his friends.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
For my tween nephews and nieces....cash is king! Little kids get learning toys. After 18 they get nothing, get a job, be an adult, lol.

CPUSA

Get him a hooker
Facebook says they will cherish the memories more than the latest gizmo or gadget

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Stepson is 11 but very much into building things. His request this year was anything he could assemble, except Legos :lol: guess he's starting to outgrow them. He's exceptionally brilliant at math too so I've been researching STEM toys and activities for 12+ boys.

Elenco AmeriKit Learn to Solder Kit

MindWare Math Perplexors: Level D

Snap Circuits Classic SC-300 Electronics Exploration Kit
^^This is the one I'm really excited to get him.

He's also been bugging me for a robe and slippers, and I'm also gonna throw in a Mancala game set, as well as a few more books in some series he enjoys reading.

SamSpade

do any of his games have 'coins' for In Game Purchases ...

Most of his electronics can buy stuff online, although admittedly it doesn't have the "wow" factor of having an actual present under the tree.

To me, I'd rather get a gift with a pair of cheap sneakers than a check for much more.
Money's nice but it doesn't feel like a Christmas gift.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I just ordered my 10 year old grandson a laser tag set with 4 blaster so he can shoot his mother for me. Win/win.

SamSpade

I just ordered my 10 year old grandson a laser tag set with 4 blaster so he can shoot his mother for me. Win/win.

I'd LOVE that - but Mom's rule for the kids is NO guns, even on video games.

So they play games where they kill each other with FARTS.
I am not kidding. They eat cans of beans to reload.

Chris0nllyn

Stepson is 11 but very much into building things. His request this year was anything he could assemble, except Legos :lol: guess he's starting to outgrow them. He's exceptionally brilliant at math too so I've been researching STEM toys and activities for 12+ boys.

Elenco AmeriKit Learn to Solder Kit

MindWare Math Perplexors: Level D

Snap Circuits Classic SC-300 Electronics Exploration Kit
^^This is the one I'm really excited to get him.

He's also been bugging me for a robe and slippers, and I'm also gonna throw in a Mancala game set, as well as a few more books in some series he enjoys reading.

These look very cool. I'm a fan of STEM and robotics in general.

In addition to the above, you could try something like an Arduino kit. Incredibly cheap, tons of online support, experience programming in C#, and fun. The kit comes with the Arduino, components like a breadboard, jumpers, resistors, sensors, etc. and a book on different projects. It may get him interested in joining the school's robotics team. Typically they use VEX products though which is slightly different than Arduino but still uses C# programming language (it's actually ROBOTC developed by Carnegie Mellon, but close enough)

https://www.amazon.com/Arduino-Starter-Kit-English-Official/dp/B009UKZV0A

Last edited:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
These look very cool. I'm a fan of STEM and robotics in general.

In addition to the above, you could try something like an Arduino kit. Incredibly cheap, tons of online support, experience programming in C#, and fun. The kit comes with the Arduino, components like a breadboard, jumpers, resistors, sensors, etc. and a book on different projects. It may get him interested in joining the school's robotics team. Typically they use VEX products though which is slightly different than Arduino but still uses C# programming language (it's actually ROBOTC developed by Carnegie Mellon, but close enough)

https://www.amazon.com/Arduino-Starter-Kit-English-Official/dp/B009UKZV0A

Assuming you're talking to me, but mine just joined the Robotics team! He LOVES it :yahoo: it has made his interest in the mechanics of everything come to life, something I've noticed was in him for quite awhile. He's always been one of those kids who wants to take it apart so he can put it back together again. He's been messing around with computer programming too.

If you have any more suggestions like above, please throw them my way! :howdy: