A question about refugee distribution

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Las Cruces is having trouble accommodating the refugees being dropped off here. It's overwhelming the medical resources and the city has asked for donations of goods.

So how does that work? Did LC have to agree to take these people, or does the state make them, or what?

The city rec center has become a refugee camp and all activities/facilities are closed indefinitely to taxpaying residents in order to accommodate people from a foreign country. That doesn't seem right to me and if I were Mayor I'd refuse. I'll have to go sit on a barstool and start a conversation with a few locals, see what they think of this.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What's interesting is that the city is spending a ton of money warehousing these refugees, yet we see homeless people dotted about begging for money/food. What's up with that? You'd think a city would take care of its own before it would bring in destitute foreigners.

SamSpade

Maybe Cher has an alternative...

I have to think Cher's response serves only as a reaction to NOT having Trump place illegals in her backyard without the obvious charges of hypocrisy and bigotry being applied. Because it's not as though she's demonstrated any concern in the past.

SamSpade

So how does that work? Did LC have to agree to take these people, or does the state make them, or what?

From what the conservative punditry have been saying over the past week - it was "take them or else". And towns all over the map were given way too many people, and they had no say in the matter.

The way the left is bellyaching over this, you'd think being given a myriad of illegal aliens was some kind of punishment.
They themselves had said they're beneficial, they commit less crime, they welcome them.
You'd THINK their first response would be "WE are compassionate - and we'll show you we mean what we say".
But they're acting like someone who got stuck babysitting the kids for a couple weeks.

transporter

Las Cruces is having trouble accommodating the refugees being dropped off here. It's overwhelming the medical resources and the city has asked for donations of goods.

The city rec center has become a refugee camp and all activities/facilities are closed indefinitely to taxpaying residents in order to accommodate people from a foreign country. That doesn't seem right to me and if I were Mayor I'd refuse. I'll have to go sit on a barstool and start a conversation with a few locals, see what they think of this.

Hey spitbubble, you claim prowess when using internet search engines....why don't you go look up how refugees are allocated? Learn something...actually educate yourself on a topic.

Asking what some drunk sitting on a barstool "thinks" isn't going to answer any of your questions, now is it?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member

Reminds me of when african migrants in Italy set up a camp near George Clooney's Italian home. He felt threatened, then moved. Said he had security concerns. NIMBY

luvmygdaughters

Hey spitbubble, you claim prowess when using internet search engines....why don't you go look up how refugees are allocated? Learn something...actually educate yourself on a topic.

Asking what some drunk sitting on a barstool "thinks" isn't going to answer any of your questions, now is it?
You were the one on the barstool, right??:alkies:Dont be to hard on yourself...even drunks are entitled to their opinion!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
From what the conservative punditry have been saying over the past week - it was "take them or else".

But who says that? The city, county, state or fed? You can't know who to vote against if you don't know who's trying to destroy your community.

It really breaks my heart to think that if I come back to LC in the future it will be filled with trash and crime and drugs and illiteracy and disgusting people laying in the streets. This is such a terrific little city, I can't stand the thought of it becoming another third world populated shithole.

Reactions: BOP

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
When I first read your post I thought it said, "Mayor Cher."

Thought for a moment that I have really not done a good job of keeping up with the news!

--- End of line (MCP)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

It's a shame. This really is a terrific small city and it doesn't have the resources to warehouse large numbers of illegal immigrants. So now residents have a wonderful rec center and sports fields that they have paid for but can no longer use, and they also have to shell out for medical care and supplies for these people, AND they have them roaming around the city committing crimes.

I'm just trying to figure out whose idea it was to ship these people here and destroy the city.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.

Clearly, Transporter has yet to master the intricacies of casual small talk. Or learned about the various techniques of small talk such as introducing a topic for discussion's sake. That sometimes people can do research, but the point of the whole exercise is to engage in conversation.

Here's a resource to help your AI get better at its job (link): https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Small-Talk

Beginning to make me think that Transporter IS actually a bot ans speaks only binary machine language.

--- End of line (MCP)

Chris0nllyn

They are technically still under CBP detainment and are given notices to appear. CBP drops them off with notice to local communities, but LC doesn't have to take them. They were dropped off, but nothing says they have to house or feed them. They are choosing to do that.

The Rec center is being used after churches and nonprofits were full with a few hundred refugees.

The Mayor said:
Attending the open house, Mayor Ken Miyagishima, shook his head in disbelief when asked about the sudden migrant influx.
“It’s an incredible journey for these people from Central America,” he said. “It’s hard to understand what they must be going through, to leave everything behind and try to start a different life. I wish we had the resources to help them more but we’re doing the best we can.”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Clearly, Transporter has yet to master the intricacies of casual small talk.

there is NO small talk with transporter -m only elitist lecturing SOMD how selfish and stupid we are
How she ALONE is the Smartest Mother Fuker in the Room ....

BOP

So you don't know either. Good for you.

BOP

No crap. From when I could actually SEE her posts, she couldn't have a NON-political discussion with someone on another topic area without being a disagreeable ass.
That's a shame, really. Way back when, a couple of members and I used to go at it on Current Events and Politics...it got pretty ugly a few times. Yet, on a couple of threads we all frequented (what song are you listening to was one), we acted like grown ups with a free exchange of ideas, memories, songs, and so on. I can only imagine Tranny is the same way away from the forums as she is on the forums.