A real gem nearly in our own backyard, Chippokes Plantaion State Park

limblips

PREMO Member
Wife and I went to the Antique Farm and Steam show at Chippokes Plantation Saturday. Our purpose was twofold. First I love the antique power stuff, hit and miss engines, steam, antique tractors etc... Two, we wanted to check out the campground itself before planning a weekend there.

The campground is very nice. It is two loops, the A loop is older and many of the sites are not very level. Some serious blocking may be required but the B loop sites are paved and flat with many of them pull through. All are nicely wooded. There is a beautiful pool also. For camping, we give it 4.5 stars from the looks.

For things to do, if you are in to history, it is 5 stars. The plantation itself is still a working farm (nearly 400 years continuous). There is a walking tour of the grounds and buildings and a guided tour of the mansion. Nearby is Bacon's Castle, Jamestown, Smithfield (beautiful homes), Surry and a number of other historical sites.

All in all we were very impressed and it is really quite close by. We will use it as one of the quick trip destinations. Talking with the campground host, reservations are not hard to get except on holidays or when they have an event at the park. Prior to Memorial Day and after Labor Day the park is never crowded.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Thanks for that report! I too am a huge antique machinery and engine buff, and history buff in general, and I'd never heard of that place. Took a "tour" through their website.

limblips

PREMO Member
Gilligan, check this one out.

http://www.fielddayofthepast.net/

It is just west of Richmond. I have been 2X. An excellent show with lots of antique motors, equipment, cars and good fun and food. We are planning on it again this year. It is easy to spend 2 days there watching tractor pulls, threshing, steam rock crushers, etc...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
http://www.fielddayofthepast.net/

It is just west of Richmond. I have been 2X. An excellent show with lots of antique motors, equipment, cars and good fun and food. We are planning on it again this year. It is easy to spend 2 days there watching tractor pulls, threshing, steam rock crushers, etc...

Is that the one that is somewhat visible from 64? If so, I've driven by it many times...always meant to go but always on my way somewhere else.

limblips

PREMO Member
Yep! Let me know if you decide to go, maybe meet and BS about the old stuff!

Directions:

The Field Day of the Past show grounds are located at the intersection of Rout 623 (Ashland Road) and Route 622 in Goochland County. Off I-64, exit #172 (Rockville Manakin) south. Grounds are located 1/8 mile from the interstate. Follow the signs.

South

Take I-64 West to Exit #173

West

Take I-81 to I-64 East and take exit #173

North

Take I-95 South to I-295. Merge onton I-64 West to exit #173

West

Take I-81 to I-64 East and take #173

South of the James

Take 288 North to Broad Street Road West exit (Route 250) go approximately one mile to traffic light at Route 623 (Ashland Road). Turn right and follow signs.

idiganthro

Thanks for the recommendation! We have wanted to camp there a few times, but it is always sold out. Need to plan and book in advance sometime.