A Shout Out

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Just wanted to say how much I appreciate the many folks here on the forum.

I learn a lot, I laugh a lot, I spamalot (rim shot 🥁, Monty Python joke/ref). But mostly, I enjoy a lot from just about everybody's contributions.

Yes, there are some who could do better (from my perch in the tree) and some whose contributions are actually interesting but would be so much better received if basic inter-personal skills were put into practice. But overall, what a great bunch of folks to "fellowship" with throughout the day.

Too many to mention. With one exception (a perhaps sad attempt at humor to follow in the next paragraph), I didn't want to mention names for fear of leaving someone out (and my worst fear would be that someone was offended for being left out. But then, maybe I think too highly of my opinions of other's opinions of my opinions about them! 🙃).

Okay, the exception/joke attempt.

I enjoy GURPS' posts, but ultimately am disappointed. I've been told he's a Russian provocateur (sitting and typing away in an abandoned admin building in a former GULAG in Siberia) so when I posted asking folks for help about finding an old car for my hopefully soon-to-be one-car collection he didn't recommend a single Soviet auto. No Ladas, no Zhigulis, no Volgas, no Chaikas. Not even an East German Trabant! I'm beginning to doubt the Russian angle.... 😜

Seriously, though, keep up the fun, frolic, and friendliness.

🐫🐪 Have a great Hump Day! 🐪🐫

P.S. Had just finished in the "Say Something Nice" thread; must have carried over...?

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I appreciate the forums because you all know things that I don't. Car stuff and computer stuff, more recently.

:cartwheel

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I would have recommended a UAZ 469 or GAZ 69 ... Keeping with the 'old jeep' vibe

or a BRDM 2 ...

Yooper

I would have recommended a UAZ 469 or GAZ 69 ... Keeping with the 'old jeep' vibe

or a BRDM 2 ...
When I served over in the former Soviet Union I lusted after the Lada Niva (link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lada_Niva). Would love to be able to have one here....*

But yes, I can see a BRDM-2 as my daily "historic plates" commuter vehicle. And great, as well, for using local convenience store drive-thru's (or -in's).

*From the "too funny not to be true" category (from the Wikipedia article):
Safety by modern standards
In 2002, the Lada Niva was awarded zero stars out of a possible four by the modern Russian ARCAP safety-assessment program. The reviewer noted the very rugged body of the car as the only positive aspect in terms of safety. In the test, the passenger dummy was hit by the glove compartment hard enough to risk traumatic brain injury.

The reviewers noted that they did not expect a high rating and that the result was natural, as "it would be naive to believe that a 30-year-old design complies with modern requirements for passive safety". They added it would require the car to be completely modernized to meet modern safety standards.

--- End of line (MCP)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
"historic plates" commuter vehicle. And great, as well, for using local convenience store drive-thru's (or -in's).

BTR - 60 / 70 / 80 ?

IIRC the BTR 60 had a pair of Studebaker V8's [really Ford 239 V8's]

Yooper

BTR - 60 / 70 / 80 ?
Nope. Too many tires to change.

IIRC the BTR 60 had a pair of Studebaker V8's [really Ford 239 V8's]
I didn't know that. A def "fun fact." (You know, someone's lurking out there in the forum ether who may say, "Of course, I would have expected GURPS to know that." :eek:)

--- End of line (MCP)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I didn't know that. A def "fun fact."

yeah don't quote me on that ... it was the 80's at the National Training Center at Ft Irwin .....
the Sgt giving the tour of the Soviet Vehicles mentioned it

Being familiar with Henry's V8 I immediately recognized the Engine ...
I can still see the V8, what detail is a bit fuzzy is was I in the BTR-60 or the BRDM 2

But of course the Soviets Copied EVERYTHING

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Having just spent nearly a month in Egypt, surrounded by seemingly thousands of mostly beat up Lada taxis and personal vehicles, I have to admit I developed a grudging respect for those tough little crap boxes.

Hey..waht's dis??..new feature I see. Instead of just asterisks, a word substitution is made. crap crap crap.. "chuckles"