A Stay-at-Home Mom on Her Reasons for Leaving Portland

BOP

Hopefully she'll vote conservative where ever she goes.

Joanna: I think a little bit of both. I remember talking about McCain or Romney and that was fine. I was just outnumbered, but it wasn’t as if people had animus towards them. But in 2016, especially when Trump became the nominee, I had a lot of social groups, whether it was other mothers, neighbors, or people at the park. My kids were really young then so I sought out a lot of these groups and it just became very apparent, very early through comments, such as my neighbor saying, “If Trump wins, we’re going to move to India” or just horrible comments about Trump or conservatism in general. It was a difficult time for me. Eventually it got to the point where I had to just come right out and express that I was actually going to vote for Trump. You see, people here just naturally assume everyone is liberal. And I didn’t start out as a Trump supporter, but fairly quickly I came to support him because of the way I felt the Republican Party tried to oust him. That’s when I knew the “swamp” was real and plagued both parties.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I honestly don't know why there isn't a mass exodus from these far left states. Of course, here I stay, in the very blue state of MD. In my defense of that, I moved to a more red district in Southern MD. But places like Portland, LA, and Chicago (to name a few), why do conservatives stay there?

Reactions: BOP

herb749

I honestly don't know why there isn't a mass exodus from these far left states. Of course, here I stay, in the very blue state of MD. In my defense of that, I moved to a more red district in Southern MD. But places like Portland, LA, and Chicago (to name a few), why do conservatives stay there?

Jobs

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

There are jobs in other parts of the country, too. With a lower cost of living and better quality of life.

But I think you're right in the aspect that people think of these shitholes as "vibrant" and "diverse" and "exciting". Saying you're a lawyer in New Braunfels, TX doesn't have the same brag power that saying you're a lawyer in NYC or DC does.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
And I didn’t start out as a Trump supporter, but fairly quickly I came to support him because of the way I felt the Republican Party tried to oust him. That’s when I knew the “swamp” was real and plagued both parties.
My ah ha moment was when Mitt Romney came out of retirement to bash Donald Trump. He was a regular civilian at the time. He could have kept his mouth shut, but no, here he was practically goading people to not vote for Trump. I was wondering what were they all so nervous about that having an outside crash their party. Even the minions at the police and spy agencies were working overtime to undermine the guy.

WingsOfGold

Hopefully she'll vote conservative where ever she goes.

That's the problem with many of these asssholes They escape from a shithole they created only to create another shithole......... Mid east to US, NY to FL and Ca to TX.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm tied to Gilligan, and therefore MD, at the hip. When we turn off the lights in the office for the last time, SoMD will quickly be in my rear view mirror. MD not much farther behind if I have my way.
You and me both. My famly been in this state since 1650....and I can hardly wait to leave it.

PsyOps

Pixelated
My ah ha moment was when Mitt Romney came out of retirement to bash Donald Trump. He was a regular civilian at the time. He could have kept his mouth shut, but no, here he was practically goading people to not vote for Trump. I was wondering what were they all so nervous about that having an outside crash their party. Even the minions at the police and spy agencies were working overtime to undermine the guy.

This is what "establishment" is - they feel they own the party, completely forgetting the sentiments of the voters. They're a bunch of disconnected snobs holding nothing but contempt for the people.