A Tropical Storm Warning Is Issued - What To Do

K

Kain99

A Warning Is Issued - What To Do

A Tropical Storm or Hurricane Watch or Warning has been issued. Stay near your radio to get updates, and obey advisories promptly.

Click for more!

K

Kizzy

Yea - but I have a question. Did the local radio stations around here get a generator? Wasn't that an issue when Isabel hit?

K

Kain99

Originally posted by IM4Change
Yea - but I have a question. Did the local radio stations around here get a generator? Wasn't that an issue when Isabel hit?
Very good question! Probably not. :frown:

K

Kizzy

You know, the previous owner of this house told us at settlement that the only time the electric went out at this house was when Isabel hit and it was only out for a few short hours. We were out in Waldorf for nearly 2 days, it was like camping without the power connection. We were cooking on the grill, using bottled water, just like the rest of the people in Maryland and 2 days was NOTHING compared to several people on here out for days and days, even more than a week. I sure hope SMECO is ready just incase.

C

czygvtwkr

You know, the previous owner of this house told us at settlement that the only time the electric went out at this house was when Isabel hit and it was only out for a few short hours. We were out in Waldorf for nearly 2 days, it was like camping without the power connection. We were cooking on the grill, using bottled water, just like the rest of the people in Maryland and 2 days was NOTHING compared to several people on here out for days and days, even more than a week. I sure hope SMECO is ready just incase.

No they are not, if you drive around you will see power lines going right through trees.

The damn trees need to be trimmed away from the lines, how many days without power does it take people to realize this.

Jameo

What?!

When Isabel hit last year, we didn't have power for 6 days :rolleyes: So I made my trip to wal-mart this morning got batteries, TP, baby wipes, water and all that good stuff. Now I'm just sitting waiting for the power to go out again some time tonight when the winds pick up. :rolleyes: My father has a small generator that he brings over here so I can at least run the refridgetor so I don't have worry about loosing any food.

K

Kain99

Maxiumum sustained winds at 75 mph in Myrtle Beach.... Hope this thing loses some steam. :frown:

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by Kain99
Maxiumum sustained winds at 75 mph in Myrtle Beach.... Hope this thing loses some steam. :frown:
"around" what time is this thing supposed to roll in? :confused:

C

czygvtwkr

Keeping your fridge and freezer cold.

You want to increase the thermal mass as much as possible. Fill the fridge with water jugs and even the freezer.

It takes a bucket of water longer to warm to room temp than a small glass......

Take the foods that you can eat without using electricity to cook them out of your fridge and put in a cooler with ice, that way if you have no electricity tomorrow you dont have to open your fridge/freezer to eat or drink.

If you have a well that needs electricity to pump water to you, keep a few buckets of water around to flush the toilet.

You can always do number 1 outside to conserve this water for #2.

C

czygvtwkr

Originally posted by mainman
"around" what time is this thing supposed to roll in? :confused:

The eye is supposed to be here around 2-3 AM Sunday.

K

Kain99

Hmmm... I was thinking it was gonna slam into us this afternoon. Glad I have a little more time.

C

czygvtwkr

Note the time here is for the eye (center)

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT03/refresh/AL0304W+GIF/121453W.gif

So I expect the wind and rain to pickup about 10PM tonight.

The most dangerous part of a hurricane is the tornados that it can spin off. Although most deaths occur due to drowning because people think they can cross a flooded roadway in their car and then get stuck but dont want to abandon their car.

If a roadway is flooded, no matter how shallow it looks dont try to cross it.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
...wind impacts...
tropical storm force winds of 35 to 45 mph will affect lower
southern maryland this evening into the early overnight period.
winds further west across the baltimore and washington metropolitan
areas could gust to 35 mph in heavier squalls this evening. winds
will begin the evening east to northeast...then shift to northwest
as the center moves east of the bay.

...rainfall impacts...
numerous showers and thunderstorms producing heavy rainfall will
affect the region saturday and saturday night. rainfall amounts of 2
to 4 inches will be possible especially east of the blue ridge.
isolated higher totals are possible in heavier squalls.

K

Kain99

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR COUNTIES ADJACENT TO THE CHESAPEAKE BAY AND THE TIDAL POTOMAC. SEE LATEST HURRICANE LOCAL STATEMENTS /WTUS81 KLWX/ FOR DETAILED...CURRENT INFORMATION ON THE THREATS ASSOCIATED WITH CHARLEY.

A FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING FOR AREAS ALONG AND EAST OF THE BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS.

THERE IS ALSO A RISK FOR ISOLATED TORNADOES MAINLY ALONG AND EAST OF INTERSTATE 95 THIS EVENING.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Its headed out slightly east and has diminshed greatly. They say its moving to fast to really be a major flood threat now. Still be careful, but it sounds pretty low key.

D

dutch6

What the heck is that bright light in the sky? Ooooooooh! It's the sun!