A unique crab ???????????

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...esapeake-bay/?utm_term=.d136b29e571f#comments

i dont know, i want to call BS. They say the crabs two years old, the oysters are kinda big, not sure how old they are, did the oysters larvae attach when crab was very small???? But how did they stay attached when the crab shed?

Going to ask my Waterman Bro in Law about this, he'll probably say no way !!!

yes i see ss of Wednesday, wildlife experts at the Chesapeake Bay Foundation said the crab was still alive. can we really trust them though?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

No way. Those shells were placed there by the guy. You can see they are being held in place between the claws and upper shell. Fake news, Scam.

Goldenhawk

I have a hard time believing it's real. Crabs molt frequently at that size (the article stated it was estimated at 2 years old), and oysters grow relatively slowly. I think the crab would have molted the shell on which the oysters were growing long before they got that large.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
well talked to BIL and he said he has caught females with 6-8 mussels on females, he said its very possible. Females STOP sheding about 2 years old, Sooooooo it very well could be real !!! He told story about how his Dad caught a hermaphrodite crab... Half of underside was washington monument and half capitol along with having one red and one blue claw. Got sent to one of the Aquatic center here in MD ....

littlelady

God bless the USA
well talked to BIL and he said he has caught females with 6-8 mussels on females, he said its very possible. Females STOP sheding about 2 years old, Sooooooo it very well could be real !!! He told story about how his Dad caught a hermaphrodite crab... Half of underside was washington monument and half capitol along with having one red and one blue claw. Got sent to one of the Aquatic center here in MD ....

This crab find is very interesting. Thanks for posting. In all the years that hub, fil, and bll have been crabbing with a commercial license, they never saw anything unusual. All species have mutations, but must be very rare in the crab world.