Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm?

notthatone

I'm 32,and for months now I have noticed what looks like a "heartbeat" above my navel,esp. when lying in the bathtub. After two kids and four abdominal surgeries,there is nothing resembling muscle tone there. After googling this,I read that this is a major sign of AAA,and that seeing this pulsation is something that is only normal in very thin people,ie. not me. Does anyone else out there have this same sensation/pulsing? I checked my kids,they don't,and neither does my husband!

PrepH4U

I believe the forum doctor does not sign in for duty until 8:30, I am sure he will answer your question then.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
I'm 32,and for months now I have noticed what looks like a "heartbeat" above my navel,esp. when lying in the bathtub. After two kids and four abdominal surgeries,there is nothing resembling muscle tone there. After googling this,I read that this is a major sign of AAA,and that seeing this pulsation is something that is only normal in very thin people,ie. not me. Does anyone else out there have this same sensation/pulsing? I checked my kids,they don't,and neither does my husband!

You may actually be seeing your hearbeat in the area below your ribcage and above your navel. Unless you have some connective tissue disease (like Marfans or Indian-rubber-man syndrome) it's unlikely someone of your age would have an abdominal aortic aneurysm. This is usually a disease of older people.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
You may actually be seeing your hearbeat in the area below your ribcage and above your navel. Unless you have some connective tissue disease (like Marfans or Indian-rubber-man syndrome) it's unlikely someone of your age would have an abdominal aortic aneurysm. This is usually a disease of older people.

Keyword = usually

Dear Not, call your doc. :yay:

FrmGrl

Get some!
Usually, however, I am an OR nurse and have seen it more in the 30 year old age group in the last few years than ever before. In this case it may or may not be an AAA, could be nothing, have it looked it to be safe. What you will find on this forum are just educated opinions of what it could be without seeing you in person. Doing research on the internet or asking questions of people will scare the heck out of you, usually for nothing. Go see your Primary Care Physician to find out for sure.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Usually, however, I am an OR nurse and have seen it more in the 30 year old age group in the last few years than ever before. In this case it may or may not be an AAA, could be nothing, have it looked it to be safe. What you will find on this forum are just educated opinions of what it could be without seeing you in person. Doing research on the internet or asking questions of people will scare the heck out of you, usually for nothing. Go see your Primary Care Physician to find out for sure.

It's usually easy to diagnose with an ultrasound but the doctor will have to order that for you.

notthatone

I'm surprised to hear you say that because I was assuming from what I read on the internet it was mostly,as in greater than 80% of the time,something that affects old men,not women in their early 30's. I have an appointment w/ Marie Tarleton on Thursday. I just changed doc's to Dr.Schmidt,but she has no openings this week,so I took Marie. Hope she's good-kind of nervous,since she is not really a dr.,but a CRNP.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
I'm surprised to hear you say that because I was assuming from what I read on the internet it was mostly,as in greater than 80% of the time,something that affects old men,not women in their early 30's. I have an appointment w/ Marie Tarleton on Thursday. I just changed doc's to Dr.Schmidt,but she has no openings this week,so I took Marie. Hope she's good-kind of nervous,since she is not really a dr.,but a CRNP.

Please be sure to let us know what is found, OK?

FrmGrl

Get some!
It is usually in older men, yes that is true, but we are seeing a lot of ailments in younger people these days, more than before. High blood pressure in 20 year olds?? Yes. Call it our lifestyle, what we eat, breathe, whatever you want to blame it on. Its still uncommon in a younger female, but not as uncommon as it used to be is all I was saying. Glad you have an appointment. Let us know how it goes! Oh and as for statistics and data collection, they are usually several years behind, so new statistics probably wont be published for several more years. But from what I have seen in the last few years, we dont take very good care of ourselves, as a whole people.

Last edited:

notthatone

It is usually in older men, yes that is true, but we are seeing a lot of ailments in younger people these days, more than before. High blood pressure in 20 year olds?? Yes. Call it our lifestyle, what we eat, breathe, whatever you want to blame it on. Its still uncommon in a younger female, but not as uncommon as it used to be is all I was saying. Glad you have an appointment. Let us know how it goes! Oh and as for statistics and data collection, they are usually several years behind, so new statistics probably wont be published for several more years. But from what I have seen in the last few years, we dont take very good care of ourselves, as a whole people.

You have a very valid point! I have actually had high blood pressure since I was 22,it became high during a preganancy and never went back to normal afterward.Any experience w/Marie Tarleton-that is who I will see Thursday. I really hate seeing a NP,but can't a dr. til Monday and I reallly want to get moving on this.

FrmGrl

Get some!
You have a very valid point! I have actually had high blood pressure since I was 22,it became high during a preganancy and never went back to normal afterward.Any experience w/Marie Tarleton-that is who I will see Thursday. I really hate seeing a NP,but can't a dr. til Monday and I reallly want to get moving on this.
Sorry, have not seen her. I generally work in DC or Baltimore in the larger, trauma hospital OR's. Good luck to you. I am sure they will figure it all out.
PS sometimes the NP's are better than the docs!! (no offense to any docs on here!)

J

jp2854

i am not a fan of marie tarlton shes misdiagnosed me several times. I now see dr.monica lee who is over by the hospital and I like her a lot better than marie to tell you the truth.

notthatone

i am not a fan of marie tarlton shes misdiagnosed me several times. I now see dr.monica lee who is over by the hospital and I like her a lot better than marie to tell you the truth.

I have heard a lot about Dr.Lee,but when I looked for her info - office phone,etc. I kept coming up w/nothing. Is she in practice with other docs or is it just her?

J

jp2854

here is dr. lees number 301-997-0611 and yes she is in practice with other doctors.