Abolishing Nukes

somdwatch

Is it me or does anyone else see financial/Political similarities between what President Reagan did to the USSR and its collapse?

I mean we see several players creating a tremendous financial and political trouble with our CinC who is totally out of his league on the world front, well any front for that matter.

Is there a remote possibility that our nukes will be sitting around in silos like the USSR's were back when, is history repeating itself, with us being the recipient this time around?

I really could care less about the party's comments below, I just think, what the USA did to the USSR back then, has been turned around on us by some communist countries, plus muslims within their sphere of influence at a perfect weak point in our political/financial timeline.

Lawmakers question Obama's pledge to scale back US nuclear arsenal | Fox News

SamSpade

The thing about the nuclear race in the Cold War is, we had ONE adversary - the Soviet Union. The other powers with nukes, or later shown to have nukes - Britain, France, China, India and Israel (I'm just talking Cold War era here) - were not vigorously opposed to us or holding massive arsenals against us.

So we banked on MAD - Mutually Assured Destruction - as the counter-balance to all out war. We counted on the fact that neither side wanted to be wiped out.

We also lived in an era where nukes would be fired from missiles or submarines in a series of events that would escalate into full blown nuclear war.

We don't have that now. We now have the specter of rogue states and crazy tinpot dictators who don't care if they wipe out the world, so long as they take out Israel or a city in the U.S. We don't have the luxury of looking to the skies for missiles firing down - they may be much smaller devices in the back of a bus.

So, we're no longer working with nuclear enemies who are willing to drop their weapons if we drop ours. They don't fear destruction, they welcome it.

somdwatch

I agree with what you said. However, the timing of Obama to reduce ours coincides with his massive budget, if we can't afford them, what will happen with them? If not maintained, they're useless. Any real leader knows you need them to reign in those rogue states.

I guess my question is What's his motive? Knowing him it's political, as he sure don't care about spending $

MSTR-P

I guess my question is What's his motive? Knowing him it's political, as he sure don't care about spending $

It has a great deal to do with the idiots he appointed to oversee the New START. We, the US, got our butts handed to us in negotiations.