About that "incredible unsing success"

transporter

FEMA has approved 3 percent of requests for Puerto Rico funeral aid

The Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) says it has approved 75 of the 2,431 overall requests for funeral assistance related to Hurricane Maria, which struck Puerto Rico last year.

The agency told Senate Democrats in a letter dated last month and released Tuesday that the vast majority of the claims it had received through the end of July, 97 percent, were rejected or awaited a decision due to the agency's requirement that documentation be provided showing that a death was storm-related.

FEMA did not say how many of the 2,431 requests were deemed eligible for funeral assistance.

Puerto Rico governor issues scathing statement after Trump touts response to hurricane

“The historical relationship between Puerto Rico and Washington is unfair and unAmerican,” Rosselló said. “It is certainly not a successful relationship.”

Rosselló called on Trump to extend federal coverage to continuing work on housing restoration and clean-up that is still ongoing on the island.

“This was the worst natural disaster in our modern history,” he said. “Our basic infrastructure was devastated, thousands of our people lost their lives and many others still struggle.”

"Now is not the time to pass judgement; it is time to channel every effort to improve the lives of over 3 million Americans in Puerto Rico," he added.

You can read the entire statement here: https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/1039671963889938435

According to our "transparent", "does what he promises", "speaks directly to the people" President, the above, the fact that the American citizens in Puerto Rico went for exceedingly extended periods without clean drinking water or electricity and that almost 3000 people died is an "incredible unsung success"!!!

This_person

FEMA has approved 3 percent of requests for Puerto Rico funeral aid

Puerto Rico governor issues scathing statement after Trump touts response to hurricane

You can read the entire statement here: https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/1039671963889938435

According to our "transparent", "does what he promises", "speaks directly to the people" President, the above, the fact that the American citizens in Puerto Rico went for exceedingly extended periods without clean drinking water or electricity and that almost 3000 people died is an "incredible unsung success"!!!

Tranny:

1. Do you have any reason to question the government's call that 97% of the claims did not meet the long-established criteria?

2. Do you understand that the root of the word "emergency" is "emergent"? As in, it is the federal government's responsibility to help for the short term, not the entire rebuild?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The agency told Senate Democrats in a letter dated last month and released Tuesday that the vast majority of the claims it had received through the end of July, 97 percent, were rejected or awaited a decision due to the agency's requirement that documentation be provided showing that a death was storm-related.

Awesome!! At least there's one agency with effective controls in place to prevent fraud and abuse with taxpayer dollars.

I wonder if ole Maxine..er..Tranny realizes how many requests for various forms of aid that FEMA turned down after Isabel hit here.:nomoney:

Last edited:

CPUSA

Good Morning Tranny.jpg

It really does say all that needs to be said

glhs837

Power with Control
So, wasnt it the PR Gov that refused to acknowledge thousands of storm deaths? Is that why FEMA rejected them? Cant blame FEMA if the local govt donest categorize the deaths as storm related.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/28/health/puerto-rico-gw-report-excess-deaths/index.html

Puerto Rico's government raised its official Hurricane Maria death toll to 2,975 on Tuesday in the wake of a new estimate from researchers.

The new figure is 46 times larger than the previous toll the Puerto Rican government released in December 2017, when officials said 64 people had died as a result of the storm.

So you can take FEMAs jock out of the meat grinder.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You can also take FEMA's jock out of the grinder for not distributing the supplies and personally pouring the water down every Puerto Rican throat. The goods were delivered, and it was up to the Puerto Rican government to distribute it to the people. They didn't do that, and there are been any number of news reports stating exactly that.

If it were me, I'd cut Puerto Rico off - go be independent, little ungrateful tit suckers. I'm not sure what we get out of having them as a territory anyway.

glhs837

Power with Control
You can also take FEMA's jock out of the grinder for not distributing the supplies and personally pouring the water down every Puerto Rican throat. The goods were delivered, and it was up to the Puerto Rican government to distribute it to the people. They didn't do that, and there are been any number of news reports stating exactly that.

If it were me, I'd cut Puerto Rico off - go be independent, little ungrateful tit suckers. I'm not sure what we get out of having them as a territory anyway.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/possib...ane-maria-victims-left-on-tarmac-puerto-rico/

One ironic twist is that the place this water sat is a closed Navy facility, that, were it still operational, would have been instrumental in assisting the locals make it through. I spent quite a few detachtments there.

Hijinx

I am a lot more affected by the fact that Social security only allows $255 to bury a dead social security recipient.

This_person

I am a lot more affected by the fact that Social security only allows $255 to bury a dead social security recipient.

I think you misunderstand the word "allows". I feel very confident that SSA does not limit what may be spent, just what it will take from taxpayers to give to someone. I would be much more pleased if the federal government gave $0, personally. Don't take the money from me in the first place, then you won't owe me the money back later.

nutz

I think you misunderstand the word "allows". I feel very confident that SSA does not limit what may be spent, just what it will take from taxpayers to give to someone. I would be much more pleased if the federal government gave $0, personally. Don't take the money from me in the first place, then you won't owe me the money back later.

:yay:

glhs837

Power with Control
or do you just miss the extracurricular activities Ceiba had to offer?

Nah, never had much spare time, not like we did in Bermuda. the Counter Drug Ops being sort of an afterthought, the Navy gave minimal resources, which kept us pretty busy. We had a couple three hours after each mission before the 12 hour bottle to throttle kicked in, so most of our time after a mission was spent debriefing in the barracks. Did squeeze in a quick trip the the El Junque national forest, a day trip to the Bacardi factory, and one really long day to take the boat ride out to Culebra. Were I to buy down there, Culebra might be the deal, if a faster way that a three hour boat ride was readily available. Never did make it out to the radio telescope.